Register free!

Old 01-10-2014, 01:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Pros and cons of the Florida Panhandle

Can some people give me the pros and cons of loving in the pan handle of FL or living in FL in general. I might take a new job down there, and try to move my LCO down there also.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-10-2014, 02:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i would think the panhandle would be very tough to make a decent living as an lco. ..i could be wrong tho
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-10-2014, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Gardener View Post
i would think the panhandle would be very tough to make a decent living as an lco. ..i could be wrong tho
Posted via Mobile Device
Thinking about transferring with my company (Pratt & Whitney) and maybe starting my little lawn care operation back up down there.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-11-2014, 08:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfjoe View Post
Thinking about transferring with my company (Pratt & Whitney) and maybe starting my little lawn care operation back up down there.
Posted via Mobile Device

The Florida Panhandle? I'd have to agree with Florida Gardener when he said I would think the panhandle would be very tough to make a decent living as an lco. I can tell you that people here in Central and South Florida are not thought of well in certain areas of the panhandle, say nothing about those from out of state.
Blowers:Stihl BR 600 BR 600 BR 200 Trimmers: Stihl FS 110 Stihl FS 90
Edgers: Stihl FC 90&75 Echo BRD 280 Pole Saw: Stihl HT 75 Hedge Trimmer: Stihl HL 45 HS 45
Old 01-11-2014, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Let me re ask my question... What are the pros and cons of living in FL with any career? Not just as an LCO.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-11-2014, 12:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Escambia River, helicopters, aircraft. Plus beach, bars and bimbos. And you avoid the craziness of Miami and Tampa. St Augustine country. What could go wrong?
Old 01-11-2014, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric1 View Post
The Florida Panhandle? I'd have to agree with Florida Gardener when he said I would think the panhandle would be very tough to make a decent living as an lco. I can tell you that people here in Central and South Florida are not thought of well in certain areas of the panhandle, say nothing about those from out of state.
Because everyone in south and central are from out of state I've been told the panhandle is Florida the rest of the state is south new York
Old 01-11-2014, 03:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Cutting St Augustine grass at 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 decks never touch the ground, blades and decks last much longer.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtLikeLandscapes View Post
Cutting St Augustine grass at 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 decks never touch the ground, blades and decks last much longer.
Are there any cons for living in FL? I know there's no state tax, I'm near the beach, but what about other variables only Floridians would know about. What sucks about FL. Weather...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-11-2014, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd like to give my own 2 cents worth; even though I do not live there. I have a brother who lives in the panhandle; just west of Pensacola. Anyways, he's been there about 17 years now and he loves it. He's not in the lawn care business however.

In his neighborhood he sees a lot of lawn care companies...obviously guys are making money at it.

I'll be heading down in October for his wedding. My plan is to spend some extra time down there and consider starting another business by him. I'll perform some recon on the competition; gather prices, etc. I have a friend who can make a quality website for very little money; and listing it on the first page of google is not a difficult task for this guy. If everything goes right I'll fly down there in the spring of next year and hire a couple guys/distribute fliers/website and have my brother check on my crew for me everyday. I have a lot more detailed plans for it but it could work.

I say go for it! I think most of life is "you get out of it what you put into it." If you want a successful lawn care company in Florida, you'll make it happen.