Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-09-2014, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have ditched the grass background for something more neutral looking. I meant to ditch the grass as one of the first changes. There are still a lot of changes I have submitted. I'm probably driving my website people crazy but I'm not paying to just replicate my old site. Here is the new site in progress http://192.254.250.169/~patriot/wordpress/. My old site http://www.plantscapesolutions.net/ is still online but it's getting the axe soon.

Here is my list of changes below. I hope to have a short list after this one. I was just reading the post about reviews and one of my prior changes missing is links to Google reviews, and Yelp reviews that I have. I don't think there is any way to link to Angies list reviews since it's a pay site. I have about 27 reviews overall.

Holiday pictures- Please update the pictures I know have in the Dropbox. I realize I changed the pictures. I'm assuming this is probably an hour or less of changes I will be billed for and I'm fine with that. I only want the pictures that now show in Dropbox to show on the holiday lights section.
Slide show out of order still. Lets add about two seconds to the timing of the slide show.
Bigger Plantscape Solutions logo (50%), bigger BBB & TNLA (50%). The logo has the name of my company so it really needs to be more prominently displayed. The Plantscape Solutions logo looks like it's out of place. it needs to be centered in the bar you created.
Larger menu print for the top of the screen. The text all needs to be easy on the eyes. Probably about 30% larger so it looks good but fits in the space above the bar.
More Before & After picture. Larger Before/After text. Correct before and after that are still out of order. Add the Lisa & Chris and the Joe pictures to the slide show.
Before and after text on the slide show- Lets make it say Before Picture and After Picture. The text is so dwarfed by the picture above it that the extra word added will give it some extra impact.
Maintenance- Change- We cover all aspects of landscape maintenance such as mulching, spraying weeds, trimming shrubs & perennials, fertilizing & top dressing the lawn, and treating pests like grubs and fire ants in the landscape.
To- Change- We cover all aspects of landscape maintenance such as mulching, spraying weeds, and trimming the shrubs & perennials. Our expertise also covers fertilization, lawn top dressing, as well as treating insect issues such as Chinch Bugs, Grubs, Fire Ants, Army Worms, Leaf Cutter Ants, and lawn fungus.
Before & After Gallery- Top pictures are cut off
Contact Us Page- Because our clients are not in Buda we do not want a map that emphasizes our location. In the "Get in Touch..." as well as the address & phone number area I want Buda, TX removed. I'm fine with the Buda being in the smaller print into areas at the bottom of the screen.
I have reviews at https://www.google.com/search?q=plan...efox-a#lrd=lrd
as well as http://www.yelp.com/biz/plantscape-solutions-buda
I want links to all of these reviews at Yelp and Google as well as the City Search reviews you already have. Under reviews you could have a fly out with City Search, Google, and Yelp.
The Landscape Standards "View our Gallery should link to before and after not to plant pictures.
About Us-History flyout- The text was there and then when I went back the text was gone.
Perennials Gallery- It's missing the pictures.
Tree's Gallery- Missing pictures
Tree's Gallery- Missing pictures
Shrubs Gallery- Missing pictures
Sedges Gallery- Missing pictures
Hardscape- in the bottom text area it says " Most of the time we have to give people the bad news that there project they invested thousands of dollars into is a total loss." Please change "there project" to "the project"

I think the content text used still is too small and not as easy on the yes as it should be. I think the color is a charcoal gray but the color needs a little more contrast. I think the color really needs to be black for the text. If you look at http://www.texascapes.com/ you can see how his background is off white but it looks fine because it has black text that is a little larger.
My current text size and color is still difficult to focus on and read. I think the font style on my site is better then the TexaScape website example I used it just needs to be larger and black for better contrast.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 01-10-2014, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Nice work in progress, I'll be starting new as well with my website, I'm looking to get started this week.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:04 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm getting closer to finishing. Here is the latest update.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Old 01-16-2014, 04:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

There are a few more updates at http://192.254.250.169/~patriot/wordpress/. One of the main items I'm working on is the use of the panorama format for the slide show. Panorama looks great but it formats the pictures and cuts off part of them which leaves some pictures odd looking.

I've asked what can be done to find some middle ground that does less chopping to my pictures. There are a few other main menu issues being changes as well.

The Hardscape, Holiday, and Landscape Lighting selections from the main menu should like to the corresponding pages but the are skipping the text content currently and going straight to the picture gallery.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I've hired Ted Mueller to do my SEO work. I've already changed my address to one closer to my target market because of his feedback. I'll let you know how things go. I'll be paying about $1500.

Old 01-31-2014, 01:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantscapeSolutions View Post
I've hired Ted Mueller to do my SEO work. I've already changed my address to one closer to my target market because of his feedback. I'll let you know how things go. I'll be paying about $1500.
Your site's looking good. Let me know what kind of SEO work he's doing for $1500; seems expensive.

I've been updating my website as well. It's very basic right now because I'm taking baby steps with it. Tell me what you think: http://hopelandscaping.net/
Old 01-31-2014, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

It's a lot of work and takes time to get enough content material together to look more like a website and less like a webpage. All the services you list on the top left area need to be on the services menu. Each should have it's own page you can work on adding material to.

I would also add an Our History to the main menu so people can quickly read your bio. I would make the last run on sentence in your bio two sentences. The last part could say "We are licensed and insured for your protection" or something like that. On the bio you need to not state the info like your the one posting it. You need to nix all the I am text. Make pretend you wife is posting the bio and how she would state the info. I would nix the home improvement store text as well. Just saying nursery sounds better then pointed out the fact that it was likely a Home Depot where the level of expertise doesn't often get much respect. I myself am a past box store nursery guy.

On the top of the home page there is a lot of space used with little material in it. I would try to push the content up and lose about 1/3rd of the almost empty space at the top of the home page. You also need to have your address on the website this way when people are searching for a landscape service you will show up in a Google search.

I just changed my address with a disguised PO Box to appear to be closer to my target market. I spent about $175 for a mailbox at a place I will probably never go until they tell me my box is over flowing with the junk mail the new address will likely generate.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantscapeSolutions View Post
It's a lot of work and takes time to get enough content material together to look more like a website and less like a webpage. All the services you list on the top left area need to be on the services menu. Each should have it's own page you can work on adding material to.

I would also add an Our History to the main menu so people can quickly read your bio. I would make the last run on sentence in your bio two sentences. The last part could say "We are licensed and insured for your protection" or something like that. On the bio you need to not state the info like your the one posting it. You need to nix all the I am text. Make pretend you wife is posting the bio and how she would state the info. I would nix the home improvement store text as well. Just saying nursery sounds better then pointed out the fact that it was likely a Home Depot where the level of expertise doesn't often get much respect. I myself am a past box store nursery guy.

On the top of the home page there is a lot of space used with little material in it. I would try to push the content up and lose about 1/3rd of the almost empty space at the top of the home page. You also need to have your address on the website this way when people are searching for a landscape service you will show up in a Google search.

I just changed my address with a disguised PO Box to appear to be closer to my target market. I spent about $175 for a mailbox at a place I will probably never go until they tell me my box is over flowing with the junk mail the new address will likely generate.
Thanks for the pointers. Good thoughts. I'll have to look into getting a PO. My wife keeps telling me to get one anyways. It's money well spent.
Old 01-31-2014, 03:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope Landscaping View Post
Your site's looking good. Let me know what kind of SEO work he's doing for $1500; seems expensive.
Seems expensive based on no other information but the price?
Old 01-31-2014, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
Seems expensive based on no other information but the price?
I do not have a lot of knowledge on the subject by any means and I realize the investment of the money may pay off a hundred times over, but I'm just curious how much someone can improve on SEO? I've heard it's best to not let your site just sit and that it's best to change it every so often... is that service being recieved for the money?
Posted via Mobile Device