Register free!

Old 01-11-2014, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Member

OK guys:

The problem was the water meter. A new one fixed the noise resonating all the way from near the street (meter location) to the house. What I learned here is that a charged PVC pipe can send vibrations over 50' downstream, and the resonating and vibrations were caused by the two zone with the most heads.

Maybe this prognosis will help someone here. So, if you encounter this first, go to the meter. I could see it resonating through Copper pipe, but PVC? The plumber said if it was a pipe under constant pressure (ie. the house water line) it can send the vibrations very far. He was right, me wrong, as I doubted his fix.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ha!! Called it first.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
Ha!! Called it first.
Yes you did. You never cease to amaze me.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-11-2014, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Member

OK Wet Boots: you win an all expense two week trip to Marco Island, FL to warm your bones. However, the all expense has to be paid by you, unless you come down here and work it off!!
Old 01-11-2014, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

got relatives in Naples - it's always amazing to see the natives shivering when the morning temperatures are below 60 degrees
Old 01-11-2014, 12:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by reb12 View Post
OK guys:

The problem was the water meter. A new one fixed the noise resonating all the way from near the street (meter location) to the house. What I learned here is that a charged PVC pipe can send vibrations over 50' downstream, and the resonating and vibrations were caused by the two zone with the most heads.

Maybe this prognosis will help someone here. So, if you encounter this first, go to the meter. I could see it resonating through Copper pipe, but PVC? The plumber said if it was a pipe under constant pressure (ie. the house water line) it can send the vibrations very far. He was right, me wrong, as I doubted his fix.
More than once in the thread, the meter was suggested as a source of the problem. The problem with troubleshooting is that there's usually more than one component that could be the actual cause of the problem.

Just because the meter was the source this time I wouldn't suggest that one immedeatly assume a faulty meter on the next similar situation.

Look at the big picture, evaluate the situation and use critical path reasoning to be accurate and efficient in your diagnosis
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-15-2014, 08:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

He changed the meter which changed the characteristics of the water moving through the pipe. As the plumber said the pipe was resonating (natural frequency) because of the water flow. He didn't fix the problem, he changed the water flow so that it isn't happening right now. More than likely the problem is going to come back. The problem is in the supply pipe which is still there.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-15-2014, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I've had loud water meters before. After verifying everything else was in normal parameters I concluded it was the meter. After replacing it the sound stopped

It's a mechanical device , they can go bad.

Also I agree with Jim to the op. Please don't start telling people their meter is bad right off the bat when you encounter this situation again
Old 01-15-2014, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchgo View Post
After verifying everything else was in normal parameters

Key words Mitchell.

I agree with Tx also. If the flow is too high, he'll be back.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-15-2014, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Member

Tx, so when you say the supply line, do you mean from the meter to where it converts to 1/2" copper just outside the house? Present line is 3/4" pvc.

Would you say like changing this out to 1" pvc may solve the problem for good? Or are you referring to upstream of the meter?