Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-23-2013, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
I'm not far from you. I'm in Calvert county. We work mostly in Annapolis area. Sometimes I'll go up to Bethesda, but I try to limit that.

I took a pool out in Bethesda in one of our raininest springs in history. 4 day Jon turned into almost 2 months before we were done. That job almost ate me alive

That good thing is I can get my mhic in the spring and expand some
Posted via Mobile Device

Yep, see you've figured out that to make money you need to travel out of county. The Annapolis area is a good market. I have a friend that lives near Leonardtown, we come down there a few times a year.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-23-2013, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Leanordtown and Waldorf is starting to get better.

I'm trying to keep mowing in Calvert and Edgewater/davidsonville. I don't mind traveling for landscaping. Hopefully mhic opens doors for mw
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-23-2013, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Member

I am strictly a hardscape company, occasionally I'll throw in some plants/mulch if the homeowner has the materials sitting there and wants me to do the work. But for the most part I do new installs, repair work, maintenance and sealing. I live in a high tourist area, a lot of vacation homes along the small lake front areas with families from out of state with expendable incomes. I also live right in between Syracuse and Rochester, two major metropolitan areas in this region that I bounce back and forth with work.
I haven't had many problems doing only hardscape work, I also know of a hand full of other guys out there just like me doing strictly hardscape construction.
It's what I know, so it's what I stick with.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

DVS you have more clothes than me LOL
Old 01-11-2014, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My friend only does landscaping and ponds I bought his lawns 6 years ago he makes more money now with fewer guys and trucks then when he did both
I had 6 cutting crews a few years ago I sold off a bunch I'm down to 2 cutting crews and 2 construction crews
Most of my work doesn't come from my lawn customers but from my advertisements same with my friend he has no lawn accounts
I would not just get rid of all my lawns but I hope to be construction only in a few years
Old 01-13-2014, 12:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I feel you. The maintenance side isn't as much fun or as profitable. But you'd be foolish to give it up. In fact, you should continue to grow the maintenance side of your business. It should be profitable. And if it is, it provides you with a lot more than just money. It provides you with:
  1. A steady, dependable stream of residual income each month.
  2. It helps you with cash flow problems (assuming you've figured out how to get all your customers to pay on time, which isn't that hard).
  3. It helps drive business toward your other, more profitable business like hardscaping and landscaping.
  4. It provides you with a larger pool of laborers, which you can draw from when things get busy on the construction side.

If you don't enjoy the maintenance side of things (and I don't blame you - neither do I) then hire a good, dependable manager to manage that division of your company for you. Then you can focus on building the other side of your business. That's exactly what I've done. I barely work in our maintenance division at all. Between the office manager, the maintenance division manager, and the maint. asst. manager, they handle 99% of everything on that side of the business. So I get to focus on what I enjoy doing more.

Maintenance is what will get you through the hard times. In 2008, when hardscape and landscape jobs almost disappeared because of the recession, it was my 200+ maintenance accounts that I had at the time that kept our company afloat. If I had been landscape/hardscape only we would have had to fold up or at least lay off 70% of our work force. As it was, we were able to stay afloat and keep everyone except 3 employees working that entire year. And what's coming ahead (in terms of financial state in the U.S.) will be way worse than that recession was. I'm not really sure that even maintenance will help is when the coming sh|t hits the fan. But if anything will hold, it will be that. Stay with your maintenance, make money off it, and save, save, save. That's my advice, for what it's worth to you.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 01-13-2014, 07:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Jim can you pm me your email or number? I want to ask you a couple things
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-13-2014, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ever hear of a lawnsite member named TTHOMASS?? Over the last 3 years he has gotten really heavy into maintenance work.....

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
Ever hear of a lawnsite member named TTHOMASS?? Over the last 3 years he has gotten really heavy into maintenance work.....
Can you pm me your email sometime. I want to ask you a few questions about mhic and writing up a contract.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-13-2014, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Really with the cost of overtime how many guy pay over time after 40 hours or find me guys who only want to work 40 hours all my guys want 60+ a week
Cost of new machines cost of maintenance
Fuel
Labor in general I don't mix construction and maintenance workers
Late payers we all have them
Insurance workers comp etc
Is cutting lawns really worth it
If you just cut grass and aren't fully legal than yeah you can make some money but running fully legal is tough
We turn away lawns and even some construction jobs
With amount is signed work for this year just landed a mice development to scale it will be 2 construction crews and 2awns crews and then I will see what I way to do
Oh I don't have any real contact with my lawn crews main guys know what to do I just don't see or think they make me enough money
Posted via Mobile Device