Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-12-2014, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Writing for newspaper

I was wondering if I wrote an article about gardening or homeowner lawn care tip and sent it to the newspaper would they print it? Do they look for free articles? I will be contacting my local paper in the next week or two to get more info.

I wondered if anyone has done this. How many words was it or is it recommended?

Looking for ways to get my name out there other than traditional marketing.

Thanks for any input
Old 01-13-2014, 01:47 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by szykan View Post
I was wondering if I wrote an article about gardening or homeowner lawn care tip and sent it to the newspaper would they print it? Do they look for free articles? I will be contacting my local paper in the next week or two to get more info.

I wondered if anyone has done this. How many words was it or is it recommended?

Looking for ways to get my name out there other than traditional marketing.

Thanks for any input
Call or email the appropriate editor and ask if they accept submissions, what content they might be looking for, and what is the preferred word count. Just that easy, actually. It's been my experience that smaller papers are quite easy to work with. Larger, especially re: outdoors, have a stocked Rolodex of experts, so a new spin or emerging tech or technique might be of help.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-13-2014, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Small papers are always up for free content. My experience has been that they have firm guidelines in terms of word count (actually column inches, but they'll translate that for you) and obviously they want it informative, not sell-y. I wrote a column for the local paper, and here's what I learned:
- it's good for credibility as an expert
- it's crap for sales
- you have to set limits on free advice to readers. I seriously got an email from one woman who asked me two pages of questions. I gave her a list of books and websites and told her to contact me for a paid consultation. People seem to have this expectation that if some advice is free, ALL advice is free.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You could try what I did several years ago when I was still in high school and contact them and see if the would be willing to write a feature on you. I was able to get them to do it because I started a business at such a young age. It worked out very well for getting new calls and landing nice jobs. Now I get contacted every other year for a follow up. It is defiantly worth trying.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sometimes a news paper will give you a review if you buy some advertising. Years ago I thought of publishing a small book and passing it out with fliers.