Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-24-2013, 09:30 AM
LawnSite Member

Looking at aJohn deere 2720 compact tractor with loader and lawn pre equipement ie Harley,box rake,wood chipper any experience here welcome and would recomend
Old 12-24-2013, 02:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I like the mini skid steers as well. We use those quite a bit. But to answer your question as to how you justify the expense....

I think a lot of guys get into these big purchases when they really can't justify it. They want the big toys and maybe they can even afford it. But there's a difference between being able to afford it and being able to justify it.

I use two criteria to determine whether we should buy a big piece of equipment. 1) Can I afford to buy the machine outright (no payments) and afford the maintenance/repairs it will need? 2) Are we spending so much in rental costs each year that it makes more sense to own the machine rather than continuing to rent it? If I can say yes to both of those questions, then it's time for me to buy that machine. If not, I continue to rent it - as needed.

I don't ever have any problem renting equipment, as needed. We just work the rental price into the price we charge the customer. Then the rental company pays for all the maintenance/repairs/replacement costs.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 12-25-2013, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Jim
Many thanks for your reply,have you got any experience of the John deere 2720 tractor.
A very Happy Christmas toyou and yours and a properous new year
Grasscub
Old 12-25-2013, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm sorry. I haven't. Looks like a great machine, though! We use mostly skid steers and minis.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 12-26-2013, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Member

I know I'm chiming in a bit late, but I remember when we were in the same boat. Our first big equipment purchase was a compact tractor in the 25 hp range. We now have a JD 3203. We quickly outgrew the 25hp. And while I won't tell you we have 'outgrown' the 33 hp, I will tell you that our next will be in the 40 series. This is mainly bc the 40 series can handle a pallet of fert, and has a high enough lift to easily fill a dump trailer/truck. These are all things that will become more frequent issues as you grow. We have a track mini skid, a full size skid, and the 33 hp tractor. If you get the larger tractor you could eliminate the need for the skid steer in the future unless you do a lot of hardscapes (3300 lb pallets). The mini skid, and the larger tractor I feel would work better together for you, plus using 6ft implements is a great advantage.

Just my opinion from my experiences and the experiences of others I know locally.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you haven't checked them out, Bobcat compact track loaders are awesome.... The ct235 would be comparable to what you are looking at.... And I know they were running a campaign offering the fel for free if you bought the tractor.....