Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-15-2014, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik1981 View Post
Does anyone else out there have any experience with the 35hp Kawasaki? I love my 31hp Kawasaki except the fuel consumption... I really like the idea of more power but I don't known if I could stomach a whole lot more fuel consumption... I would like to go to the 26.5hp Kohler EFI but it seems like I would be loosing a lot of power. Has anyone used the 31hp Kawasaki and the Kohler EFI? I know Kohler just changed their rating from 29hp to 26.5hp.
I run a Kohler 28 efi on a 66" deck and a 35 Kawasaki on a 72" deck. Normal cutting conditions there will be no difference in mowing my dry southern grass other than the 72" has a faster ground speed.

There is no engine manufactured that will crank and run better than a closed loop Kohler efi engine. I hate a choke after running an efi engine for going on 8 yrs., the engine will crank in two revolutions no matter if the temperature is 30° or 100°, whereas I must play with the choke to get the 35 smoothed out, and it is more cold natured. I cranked the Kohler efi one morning a few days back when it was 16°, it started turning slowly but once the engine revolved a couple times it started right up. Go attempt that with a carbureted Kawasaki and see how long it takes to get it running smoothly, whereas the efi was running perfectly in 5 seconds, believe me, this will spoil you, as will the fuel economy.

Had I been able to get the big block fuel injected Kohler on my Super Z, I would not have considered a carbureted, or open loop fuel injected Kawasaki, would not have crossed my mind as to which I would purchase.

The 35 will hold the rpms up; and in really no matter the conditions, but you will pay the fuel bill. I will say if you are in normal cutting conditions, no overgrowth or dampness, the Kohler will suit your needs pretty well, but if you are like me and hate to ever fall short on power for any reason, the 35 will suit you better.

The real engine to own will be a closed loop fuel injected big block Vanguard, of which I am told should be ready by fall of this year.

Tags
460 , engine , fuel consumption , fuel efficiency , gravely