Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-16-2014, 01:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Husqvarna ztr's: way under appreciated equipment

Well after four seasons of working with my Husqvarna W4815ETS walk behind mower I decided it was time to upgrade was your turn as I am hitting the high 30's as far as the number of accounts I have goes which are mostly all residential at the moment between half an acre and 2 acres. I have spent the last 5 to 6 months every night after work researching every single zero turn mower available and have felt that I have decided on the perfect mower many times. Basically what I wanted was an entry-level commercial zero turn that had plenty of power, 52 inch deck, was reliable durable and placed well. The most I was willing to spend was may be a 500 at the absolute most. I went from Scagg to X Mark to deer to hustler and then finally Husqvarna call My eye. Originally it started as going to a local dealership that mostly dealt with Skagg and tomorrow and also sold Husqvarna. The best molar in my price range in the Scagg was a tiger cub with the Kawasaki 22 horse 52 inch velocity deck. As soon as I sat on the tiger cat, the first thing that went through my mind is how in the world are they asking $8500 for the this mower ? The mower had some the smallest hydros in its class had a very cramped seating area for the operator considering I am almost 6 feet tall was only 22 horse and it honestly did not seem very durable to me compared to other mowers like deer and ExMark that I had demoed in the past. Don't get me wrong the Scagg had a great cup when I demoed it but after using it on a couple of lawns, I already noticed the Powdercoat wearing off on the deck and In parts of the frame amongst other things such as the right Hydro having to be adjusted for tracking every 30 minutes or so of use. I return the mower and when I walked back I noticed the it absolutely amazed me that for the same price of the scag cheetah or lazer z, I could get a mower that was of equal, if not better quality had more horsepower much better deck design much more legroom and the much comfortable seat. Husqvarna commerical mowers really opened my eyes up to another option, although there were very few reviews on the forums I decided I was going Husqvarna due to do the recommendations along with my own observations on the mower. At first I was going to purchase a PZT 54 which my dealer was going to sell me for about $1000 under MSRP which seem to be a good deal, but there are just some bells and whistles that I just did not need so he suggested The MZ-T series. Although Husqvarna markets the MZT as an entry-level commercial mower which I feel is far from what this machine is truly capable of. I ended up going with the MZT 52 with the 28 horse briggs due to a few major points first everything on the engine is extremely easy to access the motor can be entirely removed in under a half hour if necessary along with the Hydro pumps the mower has a very modular design. Also the mower is very well balanced and lightweight, Weighing in at only 840lbs! The motor is very compact also not too small. Another point I really liked was the price. For what I paid for this leftover 2013 model with the dealers discount on the last 2013, I could have bought two MZT – 52 Husqvarna's for the same price as a Scagg cheetah or exmark lazer z and with similar specifications! I have had two of my buddies who have been the landscaping business both for over eight years and both did not believe the quality of the mower when I spoke to them about it before taking delivery last week ......when they saw it and took it for a test spin their jaws dropped, They both thought the machine was amazing! One actually preferred it to his X Mark lazer z xp! And my other buddy could not believe what I paid for this machine it is very heavy duty and is definitely not A homeowner model I believe this Mower's going to last me for MANY for years to come! Even though I have put very few hours on it only doing some fall cleanup work and mulching jobs I do believe I got the best bang for my buck and a very reliable machine! I really wish more of you guys would take a look into Husqvarna's line before considering other more expensive options. You will realize you are getting close to, if not the exact same thing, and in some instances even a better mower for a lot less money. I will continue my review as time goes on and give you more information as to how I feel about the machine as I use it more. Thanks for reading my post guys!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-16-2014, 05:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

if you don't mind me asking... what did you pay?
2014 John Deere Z920M
2011 Husqvarna 5424 ZTR
(2) Craftsman Push Mowers
Stihl trimmers
Echo Blowers
6x10 open utility trailer
6x12 Enclosed Trailer
YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com

Old 01-16-2014, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorum03 View Post
if you don't mind me asking... what did you pay?
Well it's not on husqvarna's site but the MSRP on the mower went up $500 for 2014 so I had to do a lot of searching to find the leftover 13 model had to end up driving to a dealer almost an hour and a half away but it was worth it the dealer had the mower for $5500 and was running a special for 5000 he ended up doing it for 4800 out the door which I felt was well worth it! I have two other local Husqvarna dealers within a 15 mile radius of my home and neither of them said when the 2014 models came in sometime around early February they would not be selling them a penny under MSRP since they were such a popular model last year.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Vr6Mark; 01-16-2014 at 09:31 AM.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've been looking hard at the Husqvarna P-ZT 54 lately, but like you am having a hard time finding any sort of reviews about it. I agree though that the specs on these machines look very good compared to other mowers in the price range. I think I've narrowed it down to the P-ZT 54 or the IS700z Ferris. Like the suspension on the Ferris, but the deck gauge is 11 compared to Husky's 10, the fuel tank holds 11 gallons on the Husky and like 5 on the Ferris, the Husky has the FX engine which I prefer over the FS on the Ferris, I do like the suspension system on the Ferris though. Just wish I could find out more about these Husqvarna mowers before I make a decision b/c I want a mower that will last me a long time.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

oh yeah I also like the sloped deck design better on the Ferris. ughhh...tough decision
Old 02-22-2014, 02:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Guys above, there is no need for reviews on these mowers fact is it is just opinion that is why it does not matter.

Everyone's lawns, grass, experiance is different, that simple. If you like the looks buy it if not , it was not for you.

The MZ line is fine for my cutting, I run them, with the same great things to say .
The PZ line is fine as well, will be looking at more of them this year.

As for pricing deals you think you got a deal, good for you. You will realize in different places these mowers cost more or less. Example, my mowers this year are locked at 3900.00 plus tax 54" 4200.00 + tax 61" Pz 61" $9800.0 with tax. I am sure other can get them cheaper yet.

Also I will completely disagree that a MZ specification is as good as a cheetah , that is just absurd. I doubt 2
MZ mowers equal the cheetah , again because I run the turf tiger's and the MZ is a toy. Now do I like one over the other? Sure the Husqvarna 3 to 1 over scag . This is why reviews do not matter. Can't wait to watch the thread, good luck this season and in fun , stop saying how good the Husqvarna line is befor they catch wind of it and raise the price to match a exmark, or all of our compition buys them to . Good luck .
Scag commercial
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-22-2014, 03:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Is the ride comfortable on the Husky without a suspension seat? They offer a premium seat but not the suspension on the P-ZT I believe. The things I hear about the Ferris suspension are wonderful. Sounds like once you ride one you never want to ride anything else, but I haven't had a chance to demo one yet. I may next week.
Old 02-22-2014, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Jeeperscrow- you are right the ride of ferris is great.... On the 3000 series and up. If the ferris is 4 wheel independent it's nice.. If it has the pivot front arm it is not that great, don't get me wrong the 3 point connection is about like a nice seat but not a suspension seat, and a lot cheaper.

I will say this if you are looking at the PZ FRAME range the ferris 700 is the underdog, that is a 3100 ferris comparission minimum.
The MZ is about even to a 700 and a suspension seat is still cheaper if bought here.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-22-2014, 05:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Oh and I have had 2 ferris and no, I didn't stay with them.
A kawi powered 61" 3000 and a cat diesel 72" 5000 series
Not worth it unless your looking to have a luxury mower so you can do it all ( to show off) either way the mowers are mowers it really depends on the dealer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-22-2014, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

ok I appreciate it ... never realized how much work it would be finding the right mower with the right local dealer support at the right price!