Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-19-2014, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm pretty sure I charged enough. I didn't start till the end of August of last year to charge. All 3 of the accounts i charge an average of $60 per hr. I'm pretty sure that's not too low. Jclawn, I never considered a 2wd truck but it is doable to start with. As far as growth, I only put my name on cl. All my work came from there. I was planning on newspaper, door to door, and other means of advertising.
Push mowers
5x10 trailer

All my stuff is used but its paid for
Old 01-19-2014, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

3 accounts isn't enough to cover equipment costs when your equipment isn't in good condition in the first place, so his prices may not reflect that.

If your trailer axle broke, fix the axle and put a heavier duty one on it. If you're any good with tools you can build a bigger better trailer out of the parts you have.

If you want to do this, I'd seriously start advertising, get some extra help if needed, and keep working on it. 3 accounts is nothing for your first year, the smallest amount of effort will get you over 10.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:12 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenningsLandscaping View Post
3 accounts isn't enough to cover equipment costs when your equipment isn't in good condition in the first place, so his prices may not reflect that.

If your trailer axle broke, fix the axle and put a heavier duty one on it. If you're any good with tools you can build a bigger better trailer out of the parts you have.

If you want to do this, I'd seriously start advertising, get some extra help if needed, and keep working on it. 3 accounts is nothing for your first year, the smallest amount of effort will get you over 10.

No it's not. This is the reason I want to grow. I'm sure I can get 10 clients but I'm hoping for 25 this year. All of my equipment is fixable. All I need is a truck and I'm set for now.

I appreciate all of the input. I'm also going to rename the company. My last name is Robbins. I was thinking of Robbins lawn care and maint. Or cornerstone lawn care. I already have an idea for a logo. Just need someone with software to put it together.
Push mowers
5x10 trailer

Old 01-19-2014, 11:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescuedlawn View Post
No it's not. This is the reason I want to grow. I'm sure I can get 10 clients but I'm hoping for 25 this year. All of my equipment is fixable. All I need is a truck and I'm set for now.

I appreciate all of the input. I'm also going to rename the company. My last name is Robbins. I was thinking of Robbins lawn care and maint. Or cornerstone lawn care. I already have an idea for a logo. Just need someone with software to put it together.
I like the sound of of Robbins Lawn Care. Whatever you change to go ahead and get a LLC business license just to cover yourself. If your adamant about this business and making it happen then your certainly will be successful. This year will be my first year full time. I have a few good accounts, but I've got to push it more. I now have the trucks and the equipment I could ever need to make it happen so that's why I'm quitting my full time job so I can run my business full time.
In my opinion, and I say this from experience. I worked another full time job and ran my business part time and I feel that it hurt me more so than did me good, but I worked long enough full time to get a 1995 chevy flat bed with 70,000 miles on it and I got a 2005 Isuzu NPR box truck with 148,000 miles also with 4 foot dove tail on the back. Had a lot of handhelds and all that in the box truck. My wife and I bought the trucks and handhelds from a company that closed. Deals are out there. Just look for them. It may take you a few years to find what you need and what works best for you. I did buy a 2013 zero turn though this past season also. All this preperation was done so I could go full time this year. I loose more money letting my equipment sit idle part time. I didn't have a full time job making nowhere near what you make at your full time job currently. So it's easier for me to go full time lawn care because I'm not depending on that high of a money income. I can make more money with my business. My point is keep your full time job save money and buy what you need to keep you set for several years and then start upgrading when you absolutely can not get by any longer with what you have.
Give it some thought and gather info here. There s some really great threads to read in this forum. I wish you the best in your decision.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks everyone. I intend to buy a used truck in about a month and go from there. I'm meeting about 20 potential clients in a couple of weeks for quotes. I anticipate at least half of them as regulars. I see this off to a good start.
Push mowers
5x10 trailer

Old 01-19-2014, 03:08 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

You make $70 G at your regular job. I think that would be enough for you to buy a truck.

With three lawns I would not buy equipment but fix what you have including the trailer.

Being your are making $70 G a year you do not need to draw money out of your business. Just pay for gas and oil and small stuff as line for the trimmer. Then save the rest of the money to reinvest in the business. Including advertising.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Buckle up. This is going to be hard to hear.

70k a year. The problem is you, your debt and your way of life and I know nothing about you. Now I'm not a mean jerk bashing you. That's a great job and good money. I left a job in Central Virginia myself making the same amount of money to mow grass so your goal is more than obtainable. GO FOR IT. You know you have got to make some changes in your life in order for this to work. Make some spending cuts in your personal life. You can find plenty of ways I'm sure. Get a financial coach. A pastor or even a former boss that you still speak with. Sometimes just a second set of eyes looking at your finances is a big help. I wouldn't let it be a friend of family member. There is nothing wrong with this. I was in a similar situation when I was in my late 20's. I had a great job making great money but never had any. Lol! I always thought if I could only make more. Try spending less first. Now as for your equipment. I might could sell you a good trailer at a great price that would last you a long time. You can pm me. I really don't want to sell it. But I would to help a man eager to be successful.
1978 F-350 Dump Truck
1988 Z-71 Chevy 4x4 Meyers Plow
2005 Chevy HD 2500 6.0
1989 Toyota One ton Flatbed
2013 61" Bad Boy Outlaw XP 36 Vanguard
2013 54" Bad Boy Outlaw Stander Kawasaki
2014 48" Wright Walk Behind