Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-18-2014, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Lawn Care, LLC View Post
The statement doesn't show that you purchased gas or fuel. It's only showing that you was at that store and spent XX amount of money. Uncle Sam looks at it like, how do we know you didn't spend this amount of money on food/water. They are some people that are not your friend and don't care to help you. They get as much as they can from us.
Southern lawns, have you ever been audited? Also nice rig, I see you around town sometimes
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-18-2014, 11:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfjoe View Post
Southern lawns, have you ever been audited? Also nice rig, I see you around town sometimes
Posted via Mobile Device
No I have not. My parents got audited some time ago on count of the dram business with horses and this is what they had to figure out and go back and fourth on with the IRS. It go handled and thy proved everything on count of the fuel expense. It was in question because of the trips we had to take to get some horses and the fuel cost was a good bit each stop.

I'm in Alabama and do not do work in Georgia, so you you possibly see another company locally their unless you are up here.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Lawn Care, LLC View Post
No I have not. My parents got audited some time ago on count of the dram business with horses and this is what they had to figure out and go back and fourth on with the IRS. It go handled and thy proved everything on count of the fuel expense. It was in question because of the trips we had to take to get some horses and the fuel cost was a good bit each stop.

I'm in Alabama and do not do work in Georgia, so you you possibly see another company locally their unless you are up here.
This isn't you?

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-18-2014, 12:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

yes I run into the same thing. I've heard they quit stocking the paper to save money.

it's very annoying when you go gas up in the morning and you're in a hurry to get started and you have to wait in line behind 3 people just to get a stupid receipt.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfjoe View Post
This isn't you?

Posted via Mobile Device
No sir. I've only been established since 2011. Started business late 2010 and it took until February to get paper work into state and all that. I'm Southern Lawn Care, LLC. NOT Southern Lawns INC. I'm a good two hours from Auburn. I have sent this particular company in auburn as my dad and I have 1500 acres not far from there in chambers county alabama. They have some very nice trucks. I'm only 27 as of this month. Not even thought of in 1978. Lol. I'm ten years younger than that company. I'm solo operator still also.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Member

I use Texaco Fleet Mastercards, don't need the receipt. Each truck has a truck fuel card and a equipment fuel card. That way it's all itemized and you get the fuel tax credit on the equipment fuel. Some credit cards also will itemize fuel purchases. I have a Mastercard that I used to use to get I think 3% back per gallon and it lists fuel purchases as fuel, but I don't think my other cards do that.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:11 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It happens to me about once a week or so. I never go in to get a receipt. Between quickbooks, online banking, and bank statements it's pretty obvious what gets spent on fuel. I mean who spends $75-100 on candy and cokes at a gas station.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-19-2014, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGrassCutter View Post
It happens to me about once a week or so. I never go in to get a receipt. Between quickbooks, online banking, and bank statements it's pretty obvious what gets spent on fuel. I mean who spends $75-100 on candy and cokes at a gas station.
Posted via Mobile Device
Obviously and logic are two words the IRS doesn't speak.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-19-2014, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Obviously and logic are two words the IRS doesn't speak.
Posted via Mobile Device
Agreed!

If your card itemizes you're ahead of the game, but I doubt the IRS will accept without a breakdown of Items/fuel purchased.

I will never not get a receipt. I cannot for the life of me see how to justify to the IRS that I just got 102.35 in gas at a station. I could have gotten 52.35 in food and 50 in gas and I would have to prove to the IRS if audited that I just spent it on gas. If I am found to not be able to take that deduction for fuel that could get costly in the event there are multiple transactions in question.

Say you miss just 10 receipts that average 100. That's 1000 the IRS can deny you from deducting as a "normal" business expense. I don't think many companies want to risk it. I know I don't.

www.crcuts.com
'06 Chevy Silverado 1500 4.3 V6-SSSLLLOOW!
'96 GMC 3500 Box TRuck - Debris removal and construction material transport
'91 Ford Ranger-For the little yards and Estimates
'91 Mazda Miata-For general Inspections and bid work

'09 Exmark Lazer Z 60"
'08 Huster Fasttrac 42"
'07 Scag WB 48"
Toro 30" Timemaster
2(Toro 22" Push mowers)

4x7 Trailer
7x14 Trailer
Old 01-19-2014, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRC_PP View Post
Agreed!

If your card itemizes you're ahead of the game, but I doubt the IRS will accept without a breakdown of Items/fuel purchased.

I will never not get a receipt. I cannot for the life of me see how to justify to the IRS that I just got 102.35 in gas at a station. I could have gotten 52.35 in food and 50 in gas and I would have to prove to the IRS if audited that I just spent it on gas. If I am found to not be able to take that deduction for fuel that could get costly in the event there are multiple transactions in question.

Say you miss just 10 receipts that average 100. That's 1000 the IRS can deny you from deducting as a "normal" business expense. I don't think many companies want to risk it. I know I don't.

I personally think the IRS needs to get with the times.

Some stores are even giving you digital receipts, options to not get a recciept, or a paper receipt as a last resort.

We live in a digital age now. Checks are becoming a thing of the past as well as paper trails.

They shouldn't have a problem with digital receipts.
Posted via Mobile Device