Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-19-2014, 12:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Since I have been running avgas in my strokes, I havent had a single problem. Yeah, its 100 octane leaded fuel, but its very tightly controlled for consistency and purity. I store all equipment with full tanks, and no additives. Avgas has a 2year shelf life, so it wont turn to varnish nor introduce alcohol or water into the system.

Years of doing this, and have never had a single problem, running, starting, or otherwise.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Wish I could get some!! I have a small airport close to home and they resently stopped allowing people to come and buy there.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-19-2014, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffTurfLawnCare View Post
Since I have been running avgas in my strokes, I havent had a single problem. Yeah, its 100 octane leaded fuel, but its very tightly controlled for consistency and purity. I store all equipment with full tanks, and no additives. Avgas has a 2year shelf life, so it wont turn to varnish nor introduce alcohol or water into the system.

Years of doing this, and have never had a single problem, running, starting, or otherwise.
What brand runs with no problems?
Old 01-19-2014, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm going to work on them soon and see what I can find out... I'll let y'all know
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-19-2014, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
What brand runs with no problems?
I run a stihl trimmer, rs90? Husky 560BTS blower, Echo PAS-266, echo hedge trimmers, Husky357xp saw, Early 90's craftsman t handle, 1991 deere 318 with onan p218, briggs generator. Even both of my exmarks have it right now for off season storage.

I wont start any equipment over the winter except the 318 to plow snow if needed and the generator if needed. I try to prevent unnecessary cold starts.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey exmarkking,
You ever get them running right? Was it a clogged exhaust port/screen?
Let's hear the results.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll take them apart tomorrow and let you know!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-05-2014, 01:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I took them apart and checked the exhaust ports. They looked pretty good. A little carbon build up but nothing crazy. I cleaned them and fired them up again. Run a little better but still sputters when wide open. At this point I have rebuilt carbs, new plugs, new air filters, new fuel filters, new fuel lines, checks all gaskets and tightened. This is a picture of the exhaust ports. Not very good pics though.

At this point I don't know what else to do. I assume it's still something to do with the carbs/fuel. They crank up fine and idle fine. No smoke at all. It just seems like they aren't reving high enough and break up when running wide open. What about rust on the magnet on the flywheel for the ignition? They are pretty rusted from being out in the rain, but I assume it doesn't matter since they work off magnets. Maybe I should take some sand paper and make them shiny again?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-05-2014, 03:33 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm going to preach a little and suggest a little!!!
Preach:
Read and understand the operators/owners manual. Use fuel of the octane recommended in the operators manual, use the manufacturers own 2 stroke engine oil particularly while still on warranty!!!
Suggestions:
I use Star Brite Star Tron fuel additive and ValvTect Carbon Free carbon softening fuel additive along with 89 octane fuel. I use Stihl premium 2 stroke oil in my Stihl 2 strokes and 4Mix equipment. I use Husqvarna premium 2 stroke oil in my Husqvarna equipment. I drain the fuel tanks on all my seasonal equipment. Those equipped with a primer bulb on the carb or in the fuel system, I pull out the fuel filter and hose, remove the fuel filter, pump the primer dry, replace the fuel filter and let it go back into the fuel tank. I do have several long and curved pliers to get the fuel filter/ hose out of the tanks and I don't let go of the fuel hose until I install the fuel filter.
Comment:
Just had two Husqvarna chain saws here for service, they were running fine until the operator started using "high end synthetic 2 stroke engine oil", now they have low compression and won't start. Owner wasn't happy with himself!! Cylinder scuffing on the exhaust port side of both saws. Oh well!!!
I gave the owner estimates for replacing the cylinder/piston assemblies, he decided to buy two new saws and use Husqvarna 2 stroke engine oil!!!
Bob MacGregor in CT
Old 02-05-2014, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the advise. I follow all the procedures you have listed on storing equipment etc.. I used good oilin all my equipment the first year of owning them along with fresh/clean 93 octane fuel and had the same problem before I switched to better oil. Matter of fact, when I took the motors apart today they were clean and shiny on the inside. Cylinder walls and piston looked great. I still believe the carbs are the issue. I am going to to the carbs apart and run them in my ultrasonic cleaner and then put them back together with fresh gaskets...after if they still run crappy, then to hell with them.
Posted via Mobile Device