Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-17-2014, 11:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Anyone do Pond work in the Grapevinve area?
Old 01-19-2014, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Member

newbie in fort worth

2nd full year one man operation. probably bought too much equipment first year.
gross sales first year less than 10,000. residential first year but wanting to bid on hoa's and smaller commercial contracts like micckey d's, banks, single lot condo's, fourplexes, etc.

anybody out there have any resources for searching out companies looking for bids/RFP? tia, jack
Old 02-03-2014, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Looking for Houston area maintenance companies. We've got three apartments we need to sub out. Let me know

Always a lesson, never a failure.

www.meangreenlawncare.com
Old 02-03-2014, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNSLighting View Post
Looking for Houston area maintenance companies. We've got three apartments we need to sub out. Let me know
Many companies turn and run at the idea of bidding apartments. The management companies try to wring every penny out of you possible for extras they should be paying for. Then when their is a management company changes your fired in two seconds and end up getting short changed.

I'm not saying this is your situation but subcontracting apartment work sounds like it would be a tough thing for many to sign onto doing. A sharp stick in the eye sounds like a better deal much of the time.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 02-03-2014, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Hello. New guy from Houston here. I started off in business 7 years ago with an exterior/roof cleaning company. Turned out i hated it and sold it to a competitor after 4 1/2 years.

A year before we sold, my wife and i started a Pool business, which we still run today. Weve tried to not expand too far out of our preferred service area, so now that organic growth has started to slow, we've decided to expand into lawn service (seemed like the natural progression...haha), and tap into our current customer base. Day 1 of new operations will be March 1st.

Already have a crew assymbled, but just starting to buy equipment and picked up a 32" Toro WB. Trying to decide on trimmers and blowers, but figure I'll stick with stihls. Just gotta figure out exactly what i need. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Anyways. Good to be here.

Scott
Posted via telekinesis
Old 02-03-2014, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@CPS View Post
Hello. New guy from Houston here. I started off in business 7 years ago with an exterior/roof cleaning company. Turned out i hated it and sold it to a competitor after 4 1/2 years.

A year before we sold, my wife and i started a Pool business, which we still run today. Weve tried to not expand too far out of our preferred service area, so now that organic growth has started to slow, we've decided to expand into lawn service (seemed like the natural progression...haha), and tap into our current customer base. Day 1 of new operations will be March 1st.

Already have a crew assymbled, but just starting to buy equipment and picked up a 32" Toro WB. Trying to decide on trimmers and blowers, but figure I'll stick with stihls. Just gotta figure out exactly what i need. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Anyways. Good to be here.

Scott
Posted via telekinesis
The problem with a 32" is they have skinny tires but they weigh just as much as a 36" which come with much bigger tires. Rutting and traction can be a problem. Plus everyone has 36" gates now so you lose production with a 32".

Hopefully you do well. Pool and landscape care are night and day different. The pool guy is legal and has an easy job driving from place to place and never really has to do any really hard work.

The maintenance type guys are a different breed who are probably not going to be legal. They have a much better work ethic then the pool guy and can handle long hard days that would make the pool guy run for the hills after just a week or two. It's extremely difficult to find decent Foremen who have a drivers license which means they are legal. Finding legal Americans as crew members to do lawn service work is a total farce at best.

Hopefully you do OK but starting a lawn service is rarely as easy as you think it will be. Often it's baptism by fire.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Old 02-03-2014, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Yea my biggest concern was the size of the gates. If i determine,i need a 36 ill just go buy one. Just found a 32 for a deal i could,t pass up.

Im ok with baptism by fire. Lol. Thats how ive started each business, and done well in all of them. Its all about education, though i have no,illusions that itll be easy by any means. Going to be starting and growing slow.

As for the types of workers, i dealt with the same issues in my exterior cleaning company. Its def a different animal altogether.

Thanks,for the well wishes.

Scott
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-04-2014, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Yea my biggest concern was the size of the gates. If i determine,i need a 36 ill just go buy one. Just found a 32 for a deal i could,t pass up.

Im ok with baptism by fire. Lol. Thats how ive started each business, and done well in all of them. Its all about education, though i have no,illusions that itll be easy by any means. Going to be starting and growing slow.

As for the types of workers, i dealt with the same issues in my exterior cleaning company. Its def a different animal altogether.

Thanks,for the well wishes.

Scott
Posted via Mobile Device
Hydrostatic mowers are also much better then the belt drive units like the 32" but they are twice the price.

Old 02-04-2014, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Member

In your opinion, what makes the hydros better?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-04-2014, 12:37 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
In your opinion, what makes the hydros better?
Posted via Mobile Device
The hydro's have a real reverse and the don't have belts that slip when they get morning dew on them. The hydro's can be more dangerous in the hands of a novice as well. They have a much more powerful drive system that will run you right over if you panic.

Most guys start with belts and then move up to hydro's when they can afford it.