Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-15-2014, 01:36 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

my new building 2

did another thread on thoughts, but basically a 30x88 shop added beside my current one. using old pad from old building.

no photos yet, but poles and headers are up. trusses go on tomorrow, will take a pic. but money stuff-

teardown and haul off of old shop- 1800 labor and 850 ( estimated ) dumpster fees

purchased poles, some purlins ( 2x4's that go across truss top ) , headers, concrete, $1850. but still need to purchase more 2x4's for stick framing.

angle iron trusses- $900

bought welding sticks and cutter blade, misc. hardware- $300

paid 1/2 of erection labor for new building- $2250

cash out so far- $7950

expected additional expenses-
builders estimate-metal and bubble insulation to roof and enclose 2 of the 3 sides ( 4th will be existing shop ) $4500
additional 2x4 lumber to frame outside walls - my estimate, 1000
other 1/2 of labor to construct- 2250
plywood sheath the front $200 materials
rough oak siding for front: $500 in oak and air nails
unexpected estimate- $1000
lighting $500
monior electric $500

hoped for completed cost:$18400 or 6.50 per foot or so. very good if we hit it for a 16-20 foot tall building. having the slab helps. using the other building for a wall helps too. I will have to check the final numbers on the other shop.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:44 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

looks like my last cost number on the building I built 3 years ago was $7.38 per foot, and I still had to add many doors, stain, finish siding, etc. but that was a much taller building.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

bought framing lumber for 2 outside walls, bottom plates, and the rest of the purlins, and some bolts for braces from trusses to purlins. took some photos this moring, and will upload them later. $425 out.

running total, $8375
Old 01-16-2014, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I like the size.
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:17 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

was going to post a couple pictures here, but when I browse to find the photos, it takes me to "skydrive" and I can't find the photos on the computer. And I took them with my iphone 5, but I can't access main site from it to post from phone. anybody know how to post photos with phone or with windows 8?
Old 01-19-2014, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Gretzmier View Post
looks like my last cost number on the building I built 3 years ago was $7.38 per foot, and I still had to add many doors, stain, finish siding, etc. but that was a much taller building.
My 30x45 metal building with insulated 12' walls/doors/ceiling/20' rollup, 36" walk door was $22 per square foot. $22K for building & 8K for concrete and rebar. I shopped around and this was the best deal. Everyone else wanted thousands more.

I actually did my building with a credit card at fixed 6% interest rate. Then I did a refi on my house and rolled in the balance which brought it down to 2.99%. I built mine in early 2010 when banks wouldn't lend any money for projects like this and if they did it would have been a 12% unsecure loan. Having your building on your personal property complicated things as well. Some times you have to get creative to bring your first shop building to fruition.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 01-19-2014, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

The last time around I built it took over a year, as I had money I added doors, windows, etc.

This time around I accumulated windows for nearly free, and already had the concrete pad from the old shop. and I do as much of the work myself- I get the builder a lot of his materials, I take back the stuff he does not use, I get the dumpster, and I let him use my lift, compressor, etc. I will also do the office, siding and build the double barn doors later. but the building will be way more finished when the builder leaves than my last project.

most turnkey concrete pad and metal buildings around here start at 10 per square foot and go up from there. adding insulation, lighting, electrical sub panels, heating, cooling, etc.

looking on ebay, you can buy most metal buildings that include framing, screws, walls and roof panels, walk and garage doors, fairly tallish 18-20 feet sidewalls, flattish 1:12 pitch roof shipped to your door for about 7 bucks a square foot. this is a bit cheaper as it is not a kit, I put the pieces together from used chicken house trusses, treated posts, etc. my builder is charging me about 2 bucks a square foot for: erecting 20' 5x5 poles, stick framing front and back and 1 side, metal on roof, back and side, strengthen/weld/install used metal trusses, install 3 large 6'x7' windows, 2 walk doors, insulating sides, roof, and sheathing/tyvek the front to get ready for oak lap siding. all the materials were on top of that price. so since I had a side of the building existing, and the pad, I am hoping for less than the other building. But in 3 years every material item has went up. as has the builder a bit.

I am hoping this project will get me through another 3-4 seasons. but I am running out of parking pace for my employee cars. we can conceivably run 7 or 8 crews out of this place. the math on the labor keeps getting louder about being more centrally located and close to our major north south interstate.

So since I know this is not our permanent home, I am going as cheap as I can.

the next building will be my last one. I hope.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Here in Texas if you are in city limits your building must be engineered like the kits from places like Mueller. If your not in city limits you can do a weld up building that is cheaper which is the route I took. Does AR have any restrictions like this?

Dave are you a member of the AOLP? I know your big into lighting so I thought I would ask. I just joined for the second time.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 01-19-2014, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

We have a 20 pound snow load and 20 pound live load minimum, this building is about double that. It is outside of the city limits. I think we have a 100mph wind load, this one is 120. The one this building attatches to is built for 135 wind load. The weather is not really going to be the same it has been the last 40 years, so I am building in worse wind and heavier snow.

I am not in aolp. I looked into it, and it has merits. Lots of education. But it is not for me at this time.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-20-2014, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I decided to add insulation and radiant barrier to walls, ( 700 with labor and materials) and go ahead and pay builder to frame, sheath, and tyvek front wall, install front walk door and front window. all this adds money. but I ran the math on me having my guys do it, and how slow we are, and having him do it, and it just seems cheaper to have him do it. ( 500 labor plus materials)

money out- metal, double bubble radiant barrier/insulation ( added ), trim , etc. $5225

builder- another $1000 labor

bought- sealant tape for 3 large windows, 40 bolts for headers to poles and, knee braces to poles and headers, $72

had my backhoe guy come by who luckily was working on another project and drag dirt back in the front that was too high against foundation. $100

back wall is insulated, door installed, and covered in metal.

have photos, can even email them to myself from phone, and download. but cannot figure out how to find them on "skydrive" window.

previous total: 8375+5225+1000+72=new total, $14672

Last edited by David Gretzmier; 01-20-2014 at 10:08 PM.