Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-19-2014, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valk View Post
Everyone is one repair away from changing their minds. Admit it.
Posted via Mobile Device

so so true.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valk View Post
Everyone is one repair away from changing their minds. Admit it.
Haha good point.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

contractors who buy light duty trucks get what they deserve.

Buy medium duty trucks, be happier, and more productive.

Used to be that light duty was so much cheaper that it made it attractive to beat on and dispose.

That hasn't been true for a while, In some cases the medium duty are even cheaper, because they dont come dripping with creature comforts.

Like GM? buy a 4500

Like Ford? buy a 450 or 550.

Izusu/mitsubishi for most guys in the biz however, is the smartest purchase they will ever make.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

My father buys Isuzu and Mitsubishi cab overs. They are hugely expensive to buy and quite a bit more expensive to fix.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post

Izusu/mitsubishi for most guys in the biz however, is the smartest purchase they will ever make.
Until someone pulls out in front of them with their Ford, Dodge or GM fender vs windshield. No room in a COE either compared to the creature comforts of the domestic counterparts. Never mind the front tires bouncing into their ass every bump.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

obviously you havent driven one.

fender wont meet windshield, DOT wouldnt allow the vehicle to be sold as road legal otherwise.

and the wheel position isnt a problem for comfortability.

Creature comforts arent for work trucks, work trucks are for work, save money by not getting creature comforts... it's not your personal vehicle.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:30 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post

fender wont meet windshield, DOT wouldnt allow the vehicle to be sold as road legal otherwise.

Creature comforts arent for work trucks, work trucks are for work, save money by not getting creature comforts... it's not your personal vehicle.
Yea Okay..... Having comfortable employees is less fatigue. Trust me sitting above a tire is a harder ride. Ever sit in the back of a SUV above the rear axle? The windshield depends on the truck now doesn't it? I see plenty of trucks where the fender is at teeth level. I don't see many OTR trucks COE anymore now do you? When you're 6ft plus you just won't fit in a COE comfortable at all. Also, it says out of Ford GM and Dodge.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:02 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Ford GM and Dodge ALL make medium duty trucks.

GM makes a cab over with Izusu. The W series.

Ford makes a Cab over, but nothing below 25,000 Gvw. They are hard to find.

Being more informed/educated would help tremendously with more intelligent and less opinionated posts.

Most lawn crews dont spend much time IN the cab of a truck. they spend it on the lawns.

Same goes for site workers.

Are the drivers? No.

If you have drivers/expeditors who spend most of their day driving, then that would make more sense.

Put AC and a radio in your skidsteer, sure... but they don't need leather seats, power windows and a sweet stereo in the crew truck.
You don't want them spending more time in the trucks, you want them on the job.

Ive run huge fleets for large companies... I know my fleets, where's your experience coming from?

Oh yea...back to opinions where you didn't realize the big three make medium duty trucks.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:00 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Yes I have

Yes they do. Do I really need to point out the models?

That's a lie my head hits the roof and my back feels every bump oh wait there is a tire under my ass and the seat is jacked up in the air.

Most guys use one truck on here. COE are more than their counterparts. 12k gvwr COE isuzu is 35k+ for gas a gas Ford f350 is $30390...

Ford GM and Dodge ALL make medium duty trucks.

Yes they do. No they don't make cab over engines.

GM makes a cab over with Izusu. The W series.

Show me a new one?

Not in awhile so there goes your "makes" Isuzu is Isuzu which is not owned by GM despite what people may think. Toyota owns a minority of Isuzu. If Isuzu made a cab over with GM then Isuzu made an S-10 with Chevy and Mitsubishi makes Dakotas. I'll give you the with part but it's a stretch.

Ford makes a Cab over, but nothing below 25,000 Gvw. They are hard to find.

Not in awhile so sorry no "makes here". They make the F-650 and F-750 now with powered by Ford and Cummins engines with Allison and ford transmission along with Eaton.

Being more informed/educated would help tremendously with more intelligent and less opinionated posts.

Yes this would be more interesting that way maybe you should keep up old timer.

Most lawn crews dont spend much time IN the cab of a truck. they spend it on the lawns.

I don't know to many companies with "fleets" that mow lawns just saying.....

Same goes for site workers.

Yes they're just "peasants" according to you.

Are the drivers? No.

If they have a CDL they're professional drivers.

If you have drivers/expeditors who spend most of their day driving, then that would make more sense.

If they actually still made these trucks you speak of it would make sense.

Put AC and a radio in your skidsteer, sure... but they don't need leather seats, power windows and a sweet stereo in the crew truck.
You don't want them spending more time in the trucks, you want them on the job.

If your an owner operator you probably want a few of those features. It's great trying to wave a customer around to the traffic side of your vehicle to talk instead of hitting a button to roll the window down. It's amazing how much stuff doesn't get stolen out of unlocked trucks with keyless entry too.

Ive run huge fleets for large companies... I know my fleets, where's your experience coming from?

Those that can't do teach. Those that can't lead push. My experiences come from the trenches your royal highness.

Oh yea...back to opinions where you didn't realize the big three make medium duty trucks.

Really? I know they do. You're talking Cab over engine trucks that haven't been made in years by these manufactures. How long has it been since you purchased trucks for these "fleets"?

Last edited by unkownfl; 01-20-2014 at 02:04 AM.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:12 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm a Chevy/GM guy personally. I think they all have their merits. I find them easy to work on and I have only had minor issues to speak of. I do all my own work on my vehicles so that is a big factor for me. Love the mechanical, hate the electrical/computer crap in vehicles.

Alot of it is upkeep and for me I like the piece of mind of a warranty that says "I stand behind my product". The last I checked Ford had a 60k mile warranty.... I drive almost 40k in a single year. Add to that the fact that we all push our trucks and I'd like a little more security in a purchase. That being said I don't buy new as of late due to the scope of the work I do anyway.

I've had bad experiences with Dodge/Chrysler products so I refrain from using them.
My old dodge pickup always had header/exhaust leaks and while it was decent inside, it was uncomfortable for long trips.
In 2008 I bought one of the new Wrangler Unlimited Jeeps. It was fun for sure, but cheaply made and expensive for a niche vehicle. After owning it for about 6 months it went all "Christine" on me. The wipers would go on by themselves and it started taking on water from the engine bay that miraculously found its way right to the ECU?? Just plain bad engineering.

www.crcuts.com
'06 Chevy Silverado 1500 4.3 V6-SSSLLLOOW!
'96 GMC 3500 Box TRuck - Debris removal and construction material transport
'91 Ford Ranger-For the little yards and Estimates
'91 Mazda Miata-For general Inspections and bid work

'09 Exmark Lazer Z 60"
'08 Huster Fasttrac 42"
'07 Scag WB 48"
Toro 30" Timemaster
2(Toro 22" Push mowers)

4x7 Trailer
7x14 Trailer