Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-20-2014, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Harness 30-0-0 Liquid Fert

Anyone using this product on cool season turf in the Carolinas or similar? I have used 46-0-0 Urea with Hydrexx mixed with my Pre-Emergent (Dimension) for the last few years with good results but I would like to be able to avoid the mixing headaches with Urea. What are you guys thoughts on the Harness product?

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-20-2014, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

What is the cost difference between the 2 products per acre?
Old 01-20-2014, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Member

I haven't got an exact cost per acre (haven't done calculations yet) on the Harness but it is about $7.50-$8.00 per gal.

The Urea/Hydrexx is about $45 per acre for 1lb. N per 1,000
Old 01-20-2014, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

At that price you will be aprox $15-20 more per acre and only putting down .5lb N/1000

That is quick figuring and guessing weight of product at 9 pounds per gallon.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've got by spraying UAN. I think it is 11lbs/ if I remember without looking. If you spray full strength like I do 1 early app is all you need but once the grass gets going spraying it can burn down where you have overlaps. Here I pay about a buck a gallon at ag supply. Not Farm and Fleet, think seed corn dealers and huge ag sprayers. On most KBG lawns I spray 30 lbs/acre and it WORKS. So about $3/acre for N for the year. Better check your license and see what and when is allowed in your state.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twomancrew View Post
I've got by spraying UAN. I think it is 11lbs/ if I remember without looking. If you spray full strength like I do 1 early app is all you need but once the grass gets going spraying it can burn down where you have overlaps. Here I pay about a buck a gallon at ag supply. Not Farm and Fleet, think seed corn dealers and huge ag sprayers. On most KBG lawns I spray 30 lbs/acre and it WORKS. So about $3/acre for N for the year. Better check your license and see what and when is allowed in your state.
So you are saying you are putting down 30 lb/N per acre for $3.00 and 1 app in spring keeps the turf green all year?
Old 01-20-2014, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Keeps it green enough for me for well over a year. Most my neighbors get a friendly dose of it every couple of years and the whole neighborhood perks up from it. I put it down late fall after an aerating every year. I DO NOT use it for commercial customers. I am quite familiar with ag spray but turf is not familiar to me. I limit what I do for spray because so many others simply do it better than I can for less than I would want to charge. I was simply giving you my experience with UAN.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I can make really decent money for the coop if I want to work weekends for them in the Spring, but anymore I am too busy with my own gig. It's nice they helped me get a permit and I worked for them fair enough. Now all I have to do is take a day every other year and keep the permits up.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Now you say you do it in the fall, before you said early in the year?

What about the $3 an acre?
Old 01-21-2014, 01:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have sprayed it all times of the year. It incorporates best if it has some way to get into the dirt. I aerate first at home in the late fall. Usually I apply the day I winterize the sprayer in the fall. When I was first putting it on turf I only put a gallon on my 40K at home. Then a month later I put another, then another. The next year I put down a huge amount in the Spring and then when I did it that fall(this was 3 or 4 years ago) I used 3 gallons on my 40K lawn. The more it gets diluted and the slower it gets applied the less burn it causes. Been doin that 3 gallons every year since because it seems to not do any damage when it gets applied in the fall. At a full 30-35lbs/acre it will burn in 2 hours where any overlap is especially if it is mixed like 1 gal/15 of water. Better be using 25-30 gallons of water/gallon of UAN. If it rains right after it gets sprayed it will instantly start to green a lawn up. Overnight.
Its like this product http://www.irmteam.com/Product_Sheets/MSDS-uan32.pdf I'm not really sure off hand who exactly makes the product I get.
Yes I get 250 gallons for $250. I have a heck of a time getting that tank out of my truck and into a safe place. I need a fork truck. The delivery is available but it would double the price they tell me. They also gave me the bulk tank and advised me on how to get up to par with it. This is small town IA at it's finest.

Where I get it has huge silos like for grain, only it's bulk fertilizer in there. They say Pioneer on them if it helps you. Some say Dupont. I think he might have gotten into seedcorn so maybe the Pioneer bins are for that seedcorn. Were talking 40 or 50 foot tall bins and tanks.

Last edited by twomancrew; 01-21-2014 at 01:21 AM.