Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-20-2014, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
Whenever you see my name does it remind you of that?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-20-2014, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR's Lawn Service View Post
Tpendagast: The kid as you call him has it figured out. That is basically how the military teaches you, or at least did back in my day...take care of your men and they will take care of you. I have modeled my life after that phrase, and it has worked very well. You can't do the mission if your men don't have it in them to follow you, and respect is always a 2 way street. I pay my part timers $12 to $15 hourly and buy their lunch. I never did get these guys that pay $10 or under. I guess some are successful at that, but I think in the long run it will cost you more in one way or another.
I am in the process of deciding if I want to hire full timers in my 2nd year of this business, but I think I will try to avoid that, however, if I eventually do so, I will definitely make them feel they are a part of the team and not just some 2nd rate employee. You do have to maintain control, but you can use tact and pretty much like I said, just take care of them. It comes back ten fold.

It is much easier to pay part time help 15 an hour here and there.
Move ahead a few years and add more work. 15 an hour on the books is more like 20 and with overtime 30. So when you break 40 hours with two guys payroll is costing you 60 per hour. Now your servicing 2 property's an hour grossing $100 per hour and payroll is 60% of that for the work performed.
It is far easier to start at a reasonable pay scale and reward hard workers with a raise. Just paying more does not ensure motivated and reliable workers.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc1 View Post
It is much easier to pay part time help 15 an hour here and there.
Move ahead a few years and add more work. 15 an hour on the books is more like 20 and with overtime 30. So when you break 40 hours with two guys payroll is costing you 60 per hour. Now your servicing 2 property's an hour grossing $100 per hour and payroll is 60% of that for the work performed.
It is far easier to start at a reasonable pay scale and reward hard workers with a raise. Just paying more does not ensure motivated and reliable workers.
Something is not right if your making $100 an hour with two guys
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-20-2014, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I love my company and this business but if I had to pick 5 things that are sometimes hard to chew:

1. The amount of time I'm away from my wife and boys is difficult
2. Come august I typically need a vacation but it's hard to get away
Old 01-20-2014, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 205mx View Post
Something is not right if your making $100 an hour with two guys
Posted via Mobile Device
Why ?
2 men cutting 2 $50 dollar lawns an hour = $100 pretty sure my math is correct in this example.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

1. Slow Payers
2. Bird Poop on my White Trucks
3. What Larryinalabama said about March calls because no one wants anything in Winter.
4. Edging with Trimmers(uh oh)
5. dollar menu
Old 01-20-2014, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

1.) That there are only a few doing it right.... Meaning there are only a few you can truly learn from how to actually run a landscaping business vs. owning a job

2.) The reality of failure displayed on lawnsite day in and day out. Meaning how so many are unprepared, have no plan, are technicians vs business owners, etc.. Hard to truly learn how to do things correctly, unless learning to not do what someone did.

Meaning there are only a few you can truly learn from how to actually run a landscaping business vs. owning a job

3.) Ease of entry and the easy scope of most of the work involved (maintenance side). Lose your job as minimum wage employee, start a landscaping business.

Meaning there are only a few you can truly learn from how to actually run a landscaping business vs. owning a job.

4.) Weather (but you can't control that)

5.) Equipment breakdowns.

I've gained a lot of knowledge from this site but I think I've learned more of what not to do that what to do. I read books by Tony Bass & Marty Grunder, read threads by ETW, PerfectEarth, Pro Turf, Eagle Landscape, and probably a few others I'm forgetting, and I truly believe that you can do well in this business. I'll get all my plans together and feel good about the upcoming year and say "Eh, lets check out lawnsite again". When done reading for 15mins to half hour I feel more pessimistic about this business. Eventually it wears off and I once again pay attention to just the businesses that have great ideas to offer vs what we should be charging for mulch....(which can be valid). I only became aware of this thread because of Sean's blog so I searched it out.

I'm just so confused at why with the names above they see such abundance with this industry and seem to have created much success whereas someone like Kelly's Landscaping seems to post negativity towards many aspects of the business most of the time. (Not a shot at you Kelly just something I notice with your posts and you do bring many valid points to the table)

Sorry if I took this off the topic but as much as this site helps it may be on that list Sean asked for, just not at the top 5.... Yea yea I know I can leave but it's still a good resource from time to time and enjoy seeing some of the incredible work people do from unreal stripes to landscapes that make your jaw drop. But again people post more on forums about frustrations and dislikes than ultimate success stories.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:21 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

The issue of finding and keeping good help is a persistent issue it seems. Some markets just simply don't have the margins to pay much over minimum wage and the working conditions are iffy compared to working retail or food service. Sure some of you have found a few good workers but let's be real they are not easy to find. In another thread a year or so ago it was discussed that hiring non violent ex cons and felons was the way to go and they make good workers.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-20-2014, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Member

1-guys that said they have experience running a commerical mowing but dont have a clue waste my time.
2-customers that say my old lawn guy did it for 20.00 great job,but were is he now
3-lazy employees
4-cheap people
Old 01-20-2014, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by immaculate mowing View Post
1-guys that said they have experience running a commerical mowing but dont have a clue waste my time.
2-customers that say my old lawn guy did it for 20.00 great job,but were is he now
3-lazy employees
4-cheap people
Um...that was only 4....
Posted via Mobile Device