Register free!

Old 01-18-2014, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Help on pond dam repair

I have a friend with a small sized pond, there are currently 2 small leaks in the dam that is made with rocks and clay from the excavation of the pond.

There is a tree in the area of the first leak, for that repair I will be removing that tree, roots and all, and draining the pond so I can repack the rocks and clay to make it watertight again.

The second leak is a very small one where water is seeping into the yard. For that one i will be digging out the area and reapacking it with rocks and new clay.

Would you also add any bentonite to the problem areas after they are repacked to help seal them?

Lastly, is this the method you would use for fixing the dam?

Sorry I don't have any pictures
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-19-2014, 07:59 AM
LawnSite Member

How Are You Packing It?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-19-2014, 09:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggs View Post
How Are You Packing It?
Posted via Mobile Device
With the bucket of an excavator
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-20-2014, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Member

First off a natural pond will always have leaks due to nature itself. Crayfish, muskrats beavers etc. will always dig into the walls of the pond. Crayfish are by far the worse though. With that said there is never a guarantee it will be be fixed so you should tell your friend.

The biggest problem will be the tree. Once its removed I wouldn't pack rock with clay. The problem is that the rock will create to big of voids in the clay and compaction will not be tight. Use clay as well as bentonite to fill the hole. In fact if possible it would be even better to premix the two prior to filling the hole so that when water hits the mix the bentonite will swell up to give a water tight seal.

Now if you don't have a supplier of bentonite clay you can always contact a company that digs wells. They usually sell 55 pound bags of it.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggs View Post
First off a natural pond will always have leaks due to nature itself. Crayfish, muskrats beavers etc. will always dig into the walls of the pond. Crayfish are by far the worse though. With that said there is never a guarantee it will be be fixed so you should tell your friend.

The biggest problem will be the tree. Once its removed I wouldn't pack rock with clay. The problem is that the rock will create to big of voids in the clay and compaction will not be tight. Use clay as well as bentonite to fill the hole. In fact if possible it would be even better to premix the two prior to filling the hole so that when water hits the mix the bentonite will swell up to give a water tight seal.

Now if you don't have a supplier of bentonite clay you can always contact a company that digs wells. They usually sell 55 pound bags of it.
Thanks for the advice
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-17-2014, 05:32 AM
LawnSite Member

pond construction with bentonite

if you are going to use bentonite clay for pond construction you need to know how to get optimum moisture so you can get over 90% compaction. This means you cannot expect bentonite to work in wet mud.

Also minimize the amount of rock in the fill. They can align to create a leak if there is sufficient rock.