Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-21-2014, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Different Insect Control Apps

Hi guys...

Still in college but this spring will be my second year in business and I want to start offering more pest/insect control services in addition to traditional turf stuff. I've taken several entomology classes so I have a pretty decent background in life cycles, morphology, etc. and have all the proper license categories (3B Turf, 3A Ornamentals, 7A Structural, 7E Biting Fly/Tick) My service area is the northern half of Maine.

Questions:

1. Can mosquito control/perimeter pest be combined as one app on a certain frequency schedule? Thinking of using a mist blower to treat tall grasses, brush, lower limbs of trees on the edges of a property. I feel like two separate apps for mosquitoes and then pests to the perimeter is unecessary??

2. If a perimeter program is used, is there still merit in offering a separate foundation/entryway/directly around the house application? If so, what are the specific benefits to the foundation spray vs. perimeter app? Could just a Birchmeier backpack be used for this, as impervious surfaces will be the majority of surfaces being sprayed and high water volume not necessary?

3. Would yet another separate app for tick control be warranted? Or, could it simply be done as part of the perimeter app by also spraying the entire turf area with the same Talstar, Transport, etc.?

4. If treating the turf area for ticks, surface feeders, etc. would using a Z with say 1gal/K tips be sufficient volume wise?

Any input is much appreciated!!

Thanks
Patrick