Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #11  
Old 01-19-2014, 03:06 PM
cgrant711 cgrant711 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: fort worth texas
Posts: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybrown View Post
Get a toro 30 and cut your mowing time by 40% nobody uses 21 s here anymore. Why. The 30 is a much better cut and has side discharge also
Ya that's one of the mowers I've been looking at. I'm either gonna buy the commercial toro or exmark 30 or a little bit larger walk behind, because it would eventually become a back up and for use on smaller yards
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-19-2014, 03:26 PM
32vld 32vld is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: LI NY
Posts: 3,284
I do not have a full schedule though if I did it would still be hard to give a straight answer. Even if we get $60 and we worked a 40 week season you hit the buttons on the calculator you would come up with the potential to say wow, $96,000 a year gross.

But the we do not just work a fixed week schedule. You can not even say you are not going to do any Landscape work over the winter. Well I did 3 jobs January 2014. Because you work every day during the summer does not mean you work every day in the spring and fall. So with hours varying week to week you can only guess.

In my case if I were to hit my target number of customers I could say that based on that my mowing season is x weeks long I am going to make y dollars. Though even that number will be off. Because not every one has the full number of cuts. You are not always going to have everyone feed and water so their grass starts growing early and delays going dormant in the fall.

Same with Fall clean ups, spring clean ups, fert & lime, aerate, reseeding, are things that not every customer wants. So just because you have 40 customers does not mean you will get 40 Fall clean ups, etc.

You will have people that want their lawns mowed and do their own clean ups, or pay for clean ups and mow their own lawns. So even if you plan on having 40 customers. They will not all want full service.

Now if I was to hit my ideal number of customers. The best way I can project my gross would to say if I have 12 customers now 4 want fert, 8 want clean ups, etc. Then if I had 24 customers then 8 would want fert, 16 would pay for clean ups, etc.

So I could get what I would think is a good guess.

For me 24 customers wanting the same mix of work that I currently do I could yield a gross of $35,472. Now if I had all full service customers then I could gross $50,592.

Now I do some tree and shrub pruning though they are not that often so my numbers could go any where from $100 - $1,000 more.

Then I do some snow. Though where I live we get snow every year though not every year can be counted on to make a lot of money. So I never count on making money with snow and never project how much money I can make. You can not run budgets on money that may not be made.

Could I handle more then 24 customers solo? I do not know. Let me get to 24 first. It is easy to count your chickens before they hatch and properties before you have them.

Though 48 customers would put me at $70,944 - $101,184.

Last edited by 32vld; 01-19-2014 at 03:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-19-2014, 04:12 PM
cgrant711 cgrant711 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: fort worth texas
Posts: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
I do not have a full schedule though if I did it would still be hard to give a straight answer. Even if we get $60 and we worked a 40 week season you hit the buttons on the calculator you would come up with the potential to say wow, $96,000 a year gross.

But the we do not just work a fixed week schedule. You can not even say you are not going to do any Landscape work over the winter. Well I did 3 jobs January 2014. Because you work every day during the summer does not mean you work every day in the spring and fall. So with hours varying week to week you can only guess.

In my case if I were to hit my target number of customers I could say that based on that my mowing season is x weeks long I am going to make y dollars. Though even that number will be off. Because not every one has the full number of cuts. You are not always going to have everyone feed and water so their grass starts growing early and delays going dormant in the fall.

Same with Fall clean ups, spring clean ups, fert & lime, aerate, reseeding, are things that not every customer wants. So just because you have 40 customers does not mean you will get 40 Fall clean ups, etc.

You will have people that want their lawns mowed and do their own clean ups, or pay for clean ups and mow their own lawns. So even if you plan on having 40 customers. They will not all want full service.

Now if I was to hit my ideal number of customers. The best way I can project my gross would to say if I have 12 customers now 4 want fert, 8 want clean ups, etc. Then if I had 24 customers then 8 would want fert, 16 would pay for clean ups, etc.

So I could get what I would think is a good guess.

For me 24 customers wanting the same mix of work that I currently do I could yield a gross of $35,472. Now if I had all full service customers then I could gross $50,592.

Now I do some tree and shrub pruning though they are not that often so my numbers could go any where from $100 - $1,000 more.

Then I do some snow. Though where I live we get snow every year though not every year can be counted on to make a lot of money. So I never count on making money with snow and never project how much money I can make. You can not run budgets on money that may not be made.

Could I handle more then 24 customers solo? I do not know. Let me get to 24 first. It is easy to count your chickens before they hatch and properties before you have them.

Though 48 customers would put me at $70,944 - $101,184.
Thanks, that's much more realistic and helps when making a decision to do this full time, what to really expect. I know not everyone is going to want weekly mowing and full service, but I would try to narrow my customers down to the ones that will pay someone to do all there yard work. I also didn't clarify what I meant as well in my first question, I wouldn't just have 30 or 40 customers, but may have 100 total customers that want different things, but I would try to get a schedule that would give me 30-40 lawns to mow each week, plus weekends to do any misc. work. And with a ideal schedule i wanted to know how much was possible to gross, and I think I've figured out now what I could realistically what do.
Thanks again!
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-19-2014, 04:26 PM
Exact Rototilling's Avatar
Exact Rototilling Exact Rototilling is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Zone: 5B
Posts: 4,996
Here in the land of $25 cheap cuts from the bigger Co. I'd say do this as a sideline income booster with minimal equipment. Go to college and get an education.

In another thread someone was claiming they where making $75k with a regular job and enjoyed mowings his limited number of accounts. Hey that's great but whatever happened to enjoying ones down time and go fishing or something vs chasing after more work. If you can't live off of $75k....? Maybe cost of living is outrageous...

I believe it's possible to make over $60k gross a year in my area in lawn maintenance but would require doing snow or other more profitable work than just mowing per say.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-19-2014, 08:27 PM
cgrant711 cgrant711 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: fort worth texas
Posts: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
Here in the land of $25 cheap cuts from the bigger Co. I'd say do this as a sideline income booster with minimal equipment. Go to college and get an education.

In another thread someone was claiming they where making $75k with a regular job and enjoyed mowings his limited number of accounts. Hey that's great but whatever happened to enjoying ones down time and go fishing or something vs chasing after more work. If you can't live off of $75k....? Maybe cost of living is outrageous...

I believe it's possible to make over $60k gross a year in my area in lawn maintenance but would require doing snow or other more profitable work than just mowing per say.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks for the help, I am going to college, and I'm getting a degree in the construction field, My grandfather and uncle are both contractors and I will probably go towards that direction, but I am wanting to build a landscape business so when I become a general contractor and building homes or remodels, I can use my landscape company and not have to sub out as much work. But I want to start with lawn maintenance and gradually build it up mowing 4 days a week and earning different license to do irrigation, herbicide, and pesticide, and taking classes for landscaping. For now I would be solo, but I think by the time I'm out of college, I should have a crew or 2 doing mowing routes and the extra jobs, while I found more work to keep them busy and would have time to start the construction side of business.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-21-2014, 07:18 PM
Nate'sLawnCare's Avatar
Nate'sLawnCare Nate'sLawnCare is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nashville, NC
Posts: 1,001
If you want to have more opportunity and more income, get your cert/license to do chemical applications. There are a lot fewer guys that provide these full service capabilities to their customers, and if you are already visiting a property, it doesn't take that much time to do an app while you're there. What I'm saying is everybody and their brother is mowing, so you need to provide something extra.
__________________
Snapper Pro S200XT 36 HP Big Block
BOP 36 Inch Dually
Honda HRX217VKA Mower
Husqvarna 223L Trimmer
Husqvarna 326LS Trimmer
Husqvarna 580BTS Blower
Husqvarna BT150 Blower
Kawasaki KHDS600 Hedge Trimmer
Toro Multi-Tool
RedMax BM46i Backpack Sprayer
Carry On 5.5 x 10 Open Trailer
2004 Toyota Tacoma

The next time someone complains about your pricing, ask them how much their barber would charge to come over and cut their hair.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-21-2014, 07:38 PM
cgrant711 cgrant711 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: fort worth texas
Posts: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate'sLawnCare View Post
If you want to have more opportunity and more income, get your cert/license to do chemical applications. There are a lot fewer guys that provide these full service capabilities to their customers, and if you are already visiting a property, it doesn't take that much time to do an app while you're there. What I'm saying is everybody and their brother is mowing, so you need to provide something extra.
Ya I really want to be able to do that and irrigation repairs and installs as well. I think this next fall when I'm not mowing, I'll take the classes and get certified/licensed for both.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-21-2014, 07:48 PM
ed2hess's Avatar
ed2hess ed2hess is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Austin Texas 78727
Posts: 11,858
A reasonable answer is less than $30k take home.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-21-2014, 07:52 PM
Exact Rototilling's Avatar
Exact Rototilling Exact Rototilling is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Zone: 5B
Posts: 4,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate'sLawnCare View Post
If you want to have more opportunity and more income, get your cert/license to do chemical applications. There are a lot fewer guys that provide these full service capabilities to their customers, and if you are already visiting a property, it doesn't take that much time to do an app while you're there. What I'm saying is everybody and their brother is mowing, so you need to provide something extra.
Good point most of my growth in 2014 will be in lawn applications this year. Problem is everybody and their brother does that here as well. One has to find a way to stand out from the crowd.

Nate, Do you spray trees and shrubs as well or just stick with lawns?

I've already met a fair amount of resistance since I don't spray trees and shrubs.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-22-2014, 12:02 AM
Nate'sLawnCare's Avatar
Nate'sLawnCare Nate'sLawnCare is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nashville, NC
Posts: 1,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
Good point most of my growth in 2014 will be in lawn applications this year. Problem is everybody and their brother does that here as well. One has to find a way to stand out from the crowd.

Nate, Do you spray trees and shrubs as well or just stick with lawns?

I've already met a fair amount of resistance since I don't spray trees and shrubs.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm licensed to do ornamentals and turf, but don't really go after the trees and shrubs as far as chemical apps. We mainly treat turf for weeds and fire ants around here. In my area, I'd estimate only about 10% of LCO's have licenses to do apps, most just mow.
__________________
Snapper Pro S200XT 36 HP Big Block
BOP 36 Inch Dually
Honda HRX217VKA Mower
Husqvarna 223L Trimmer
Husqvarna 326LS Trimmer
Husqvarna 580BTS Blower
Husqvarna BT150 Blower
Kawasaki KHDS600 Hedge Trimmer
Toro Multi-Tool
RedMax BM46i Backpack Sprayer
Carry On 5.5 x 10 Open Trailer
2004 Toyota Tacoma

The next time someone complains about your pricing, ask them how much their barber would charge to come over and cut their hair.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
day , gross , high , profit , solo

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:51 AM.

Page generated in 0.08827 seconds with 9 queries