Register free!

Old 01-08-2014, 01:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Be VERY careful moving material over the new concrete, especially since it's the dead of winter. Make sure you use some sort of mats over top of the concrete.

-Michael

2006 GMC Sierra 2500hd crew cab
BOSS 8'2" Power V
Hustler X-one 60"
Toro Proline 36" wb w/t-bar controls
Toro 22"
Shindaiwa T254, Echo trimmers, chainsaws, pole hedge trimmer, pole saw, hedge trimmer
Shindaiwa 633 and Echo 760LN
Old 01-21-2014, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2h20 View Post
Good point...
I dont with winterizing so that is something I overlooked.
Posted via Mobile Device
There is no need to drain the basin.......in fact its pointless. It does rain and snow throughout the winter months, so it will fill back up. Yes drain your plumbing. I always use aqua blocks or reservoir cubes in my disappearings. If you do not use some type of these and you drain your pond then there is a chance the basin walls can become weak and cave in. I use fernco boots/unions so i can disconnect my pumps for servicing or winterizing.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Member

as far as gph, you said 36"-46" wide spillway. I like to have 100 gallons for every 1" wide and 1" thick, meaning 36 inches wide at least 3600 gph pump.....NOTE that is not factoring in your head/lift so you need to apply that also.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Another thing, the picture you posted as a reference pic..... i highly recommend not having so much gravel exposed on your basin. It stays dry and is just way to much. I will draw a pic on my computer and post an example of how to have a large basin and yet not have so much gravel.
Attached Images

Old 01-21-2014, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Member

here are a couple of samples of mine.
Attached Images

Old 03-17-2014, 02:55 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks again to everyone for your replies. I've been busy plowing all winter and spring is coming fast. The project is still moving forward at a snails pace. We are hoping for the go ahead any day now. We do manage the landscape at this property year round, and I had planned to pull the pumps on all 3 of the features in the fall before temps dipped. They are close by and we always stop by for quick jobs like that year round.
I was chatting with management last week about an existing waterfall at another one of their properties. ( I cant stand the way it is built. Looks like the hillside vomited up 12" rounds for 30'). I asked if the pump/waterfall had ever been winterized, and they said maybe once, the first year...... Yikes.
If this goes as planned, maybe they will find it in the budget to have me repair it and do a slight redesign. There is more visibility of that feature which could lead to more jobs for us in the future. We'll have to wait and see.
X-stream, thanks a bunch for that diagram, I will be following your advice on the gravel, it looks much better that way. The pump head should be no more than 8 feet.
Cowboys, I am overly cautious about that concrete. Since those pics were taken, there is now a 10 foot high pvc fence surrounding the slab, ( seriously, Im not kidding.) I have a 5 foot gate to work with now, so I am going to have to use a lighter machine than our skid to squeeze through and not damage the walkway. We use the heavy pvc mats whenever poss. To avoid damage and ruts.
I'm chomping at the bit to get going on it. I have at least a month before we are super busy. Ill update the thread when i hear back. Thanks again for the good input everyone!
Old 06-16-2014, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

draining a pond is something we don't recommend an a pondless water feature all we do is disconnect the pump, drain lines