The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-21-2014, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvldesign View Post
You can walk behind the 2013 vrides as well
Posted via Mobile Device
I would like to see a video of that. I read where guys said walk behind modes for a GS was worthless but saw some actual videos & they looked like they worked & preformed great..
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-22-2014, 03:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Well why would you want to walk behind a stand on? It can be done but seems kinda pointless. You can walk behind the 2012 ones to If you wire around the switch or stuff it full of grass so it stays pushed down. But still seems kinda stupid personally. But that's my opinion.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-22-2014, 03:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvldesign View Post
Well why would you want to walk behind a stand on? It can be done but seems kinda pointless. You can walk behind the 2012 ones to If you wire around the switch or stuff it full of grass so it stays pushed down. But still seems kinda stupid personally. But that's my opinion.
Posted via Mobile Device
Well here is what I was thinking & have said it here before. Sometimes especially in the spring when everything is still so soft & wet it could help by eliminating the operators extra weight from the machine so one would not rut a lawn or sink in mud.. Also they're are sometimes where a stander just can't do the job & one would have to or need to walk behind it(hill)... I just would like to see how comfortable it is with the V-ride Vs the Grandstand.. The controls on the V-ride look to be higher than the GS & might prove to be awkward when walking behind it...
Old 01-22-2014, 04:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well I did just watch a video of a GS & when walking behind it the controls seemed to be chest high as well. I was just thinking it would be more comfortable the lower the controls..
Old 01-22-2014, 04:15 PM
LawnSite Member

We found by removing the rider you losing your traction as well so while yes when soft we attempt first without rider but once tires start to slip you have to get on it to add the weight in order to get out. The controls are also about chest high for me plus they are even with the back of the machine roughly so makes walking awkward either way and we use our walk behind in those situations. As far as hills I would rather ride obviously and same as with soft areas the operated provides the weight needed for traction. Up hill and down. We've found you and drive them up pretty much anything forwards but reverse you'll slip. Kinda like with a walker. It'll back up anything but forward will slip on a hill. I have a 36 and 52 vrides and they've worked great on hills.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-22-2014, 04:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll just have to go & try them out I guess this spring or early summer. I just really like the Exmark or Toro brands because they seem to be shorter in length also the rear tires are a lot wider. Was wanting a video of a V ride because if you look at this video I found, notice how comfortable it looks in WB mode.. Having it so it can be a walk behind also is important to me cause I got lawns were sometimes even my 36 Wb is to heavy let alone my weight added to a stander, causing me to go get the 21"..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_gYnCGuOrw
Old 01-22-2014, 04:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Problem going to have to use it anyways then bc standers weigh more. Without watching that video I'd guess that guys probly walking with his arms extended versus bent. I put wider tires on my 36 vride. But the 52" has the standard 10.5" tires or whatever. Same as my walker. The little one kinda feels And looks Longer because its skinnier but its about the same as the big one. Personally both are good machines what more important is a better dealer. A great machine without a dealer to service it isn't worth much especially when reselling versus a really good machine with a great dealer working with you.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-22-2014, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Member

When putting the wider tires on the 36 in deck do the tires extend past the deck and does this affect the ability to trim with it ?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-22-2014, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Who has more than 1000 hrs or even 1500 hrs on their Toro grandstand? How has it operated to this point? What, if Nything have you had to replace up to that point?
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by lawnsaspire; 01-22-2014 at 11:14 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:15 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnsaspire View Post
Who has more than 1000 hrs or even 1500 hrs on their Toro grandstand? How has it operated to this point? What, if Nything have you had to replace up to that point?
Posted via Mobile Device
My 40" has just over 1000, we've replaced a starter solenoid, and a hydro hose last year and that's it, other than routine maint.

Tags
deere , scag , toro , turboforce , velocity plus