Register free!

Old 01-24-2014, 06:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
You also do not grow grass on dirt. Want a lawn that matches what is growing at the golf course, you need hybrid bermuda growing on 70% sand and 30% organic matter. Please do not bring in dirt. If you don't have it, don't buy it. What is available locally is probably more of the same stuff the grass struggles to grow on. If this recommendation is to rich for the owner, run. You are dealing with a person that cannot afford to live where he is. Florida Gardener is giving good advice. That is just how things are sometimes. Stay away from customers like that otherwise you will end up with the same problem he has.
Exactly. that also means reel mowing, verticutting each year,etc. The guy that won't pay for irrigation or sod is probably not going to pay for that either. I agree, RUN.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-24-2014, 02:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

A half-acre--so you mean around 22,000 sqft. And he is going to water that with a hose. He probably has one 60 foot 5/8 inch hose. And maybe does not own a sprinkler.
Clearly he did not water much last year.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Update:
I'm slowing getting the owner to move towards an irrigation system. I'm going to get a soil test done of the yard and see what all it needs. So if I don't bring in any soil, should I just cultivate the soil, plant and then see what happens from there? With the irrigation system in of course.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have friends in Garner, NC. Bermuda is the way to go. Fescue goes dormant in the heat.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:49 AM
LawnSite Member

I Don't do irrigation, So can anyone ballpark a system for 22,000sqft?
Old 02-01-2014, 04:12 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethTheLawnGuy View Post
I Don't do irrigation, So can anyone ballpark a system for 22,000sqft?
$750/zone your probably looking at 3-4 zones, just a guess.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethTheLawnGuy View Post
Update:
I'm slowing getting the owner to move towards an irrigation system. I'm going to get a soil test done of the yard and see what all it needs. So if I don't bring in any soil, should I just cultivate the soil, plant and then see what happens from there? With the irrigation system in of course.
Test soil, cultivate, add whatever is needed to bring soil to proper levels, get irrigation installed, plant. The soil test you run should include base levels and ratios. It is more comprehensive than NPK and pH.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 02-02-2014, 08:55 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

If there is no grass now figure out why. Too shady, too dry or wet, incorrect maintenance practices & etc. If you repeat the same things done in the past and expect different results you may be setting yourself up for failure. Some mention bermuda which may be the correct choice but it needs several hours of direct sunlight. Others mention irrigation, in my area it is difficult to have what I consider a quality lawn without it. Don't know about your area but do the neighbors that have quality lawns also have irrigation?
Old 02-02-2014, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the input, most the lawns around it are Fescue, some with irrigation some without, The neighborhood has a lot of large mature trees so there is a good amount of shade on the lawns. Right now the plan is to test the soil, do what is necessary to achieve proper levels, get irrigation installed, and plant. The lawn was ruined in the past to improper maintenance for the most part, one side of the lawn appears to have had all the topsoil washed out at some point. These are new owners and want it fixed. They also aren't concerned with having a beautiful lush lawn immediately, they said it can be worked on throughout the next year. Just wanted to get something in place before summer.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTurf View Post
If there is no grass now figure out why. Too shady, too dry or wet, incorrect maintenance practices & etc. If you repeat the same things done in the past and expect different results you may be setting yourself up for failure. Some mention bermuda which may be the correct choice but it needs several hours of direct sunlight. Others mention irrigation, in my area it is difficult to have what I consider a quality lawn without it. Don't know about your area but do the neighbors that have quality lawns also have irrigation?
This is really the route you should take.

Tags
lawn , pricing , renovation , seeding