Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-23-2014, 04:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnsaspire View Post
Who has more than 1000 hrs or even 1500 hrs on their Toro grandstand? How has it operated to this point? What, if Nything have you had to replace up to that point?
Posted via Mobile Device

Great question. Im curious to see some of the replys. Anybody with vrides chime in as well.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Member

The wider tires do not stick out past deck. Technically it hurts trimablity some I guess but there wasn't really much to begin with I went to 8.5 versus I think 7 which was stock. I can still fit through 36" gates. But it illuminated almost all rutting and slipping that occasionally occurred in soft conditions. If you own a 36" mowers the wider tires is a must and best 100$ you could spend on your machine.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-26-2014, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Member

hello all ! great thread .... i have 2 grandstands 2011 52" 19hp kai 897 hrs
2012 60" 26 hp fs 418 hrs..... my pros: very nimble, does great on hills, does not scalp (i had dealer install anti scalp wheels on the deck) or tear turf with the tires ..... controls are great not too stiff not too tight ( tip) you can dial up forward control speed by adjusting the the tracking nuts , youll have to adjust the safety swicthes accordingly as well, this is not that time consuming...
my cons: does not cut well in wet or tall grass, does not cut well with very weedy turf as well... i dont like that the hand controls are connected via cabling to the hydro pump armatures, and that is because the cabling stretches over time creating the need to adjust on a frequent basis, my turf tracers do better cutting wet and or tall grass.Now , with this said, i have demoed the newest wright stander, johndeere wich is a green painted wright, scag vpro, exmark vantage and gravely pro stance,.... in my opinion/ decision moving foward wil be to purchase either the exmark vantage , or scag vride
Old 01-26-2014, 03:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunnersltd1 View Post
2012 60" 26 hp fs 418 hrs..... my pros: very nimble, does great on hills, does not scalp (i had dealer install anti scalp wheels on the deck) or tear turf with the tires ..... controls are great not too stiff not too tight ( tip) you can dial up forward control speed by adjusting the the tracking nuts , youll have to adjust the safety swicthes accordingly as well, this is not that time consuming...
my cons: does not cut well in wet or tall grass, does not cut well with very weedy turf as well... i dont like that the hand controls are connected via cabling to the hydro pump armatures, and that is because the cabling stretches over time creating the need to adjust on a frequent basis, my turf tracers do better cutting wet and or tall grass.Now , with this said, i have demoed the newest wright stander, johndeere wich is a green painted wright, scag vpro, exmark vantage and gravely pro stance,.... in my opinion/ decision moving foward wil be to purchase either the exmark vantage , or scag vride

Man that new JD/wright whatever you wanna call does look NICE, but I think I'm going with either the 36" Toro GS or the Exmark vantage, if my weight isn't a problem with the front end. I prefer them but if they don't work out i'll look at the V-ride I know there wouldn't be a problem for me there as I 've seen several videos with guys my size or bigger with no problems.. Looking to get late Spring/early summer..
Old 01-27-2014, 12:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunnersltd1 View Post
I agree. I am on my second grandstand and echo the same sentiments. Not very good in tall wet or weedy lawns. But like you said it is very nimble and agile. After demoing the v Ride and the gravely I ended up buying another grandstand. The scag and gravely were not nearly as agile. They seemed bulky and harder to maneuver in tight areas.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-27-2014, 12:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

[QUOTE=lawnkingforever;4945489]I agree. I am on my second grandstand and echo the same sentiments. Not very good in tall wet or weedy lawns. But like you said it is very nimble and agile. After demoing the v Ride and the gravely I ended up buying another grandstand. The scag and gravely were not nearly as agile. They seemed bulky and harder to maneuver in tight areas.
Posted via Mobile Device[/

Has anyone experimented with any blades that cut better on The Grandstands narrower deck? If Exact Rototilling found blades that cut better in wet conditions on his BOP mowers, I'm confident someone could find blades that would make the Grandstands cut better in various conditions.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-27-2014, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

We use gator blades year round I tried to get the G-6 gators but they don't make them for the GS's.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
We use gator blades year round I tried to get the G-6 gators but they don't make them for the GS's.
Do the gators have a lift on them? It seems like gators would pack the deck even more unless they had a significant lift.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-27-2014, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I've tried low lift, high lift and high lift gators the high lift gators worked best year round, we also mulch so the gators work best with that setup too. The biggest issue I have is with wet early morning dew yards, it makes the start of the day rough.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Member

I just bought a new 52 inch Toro Grandstand with mulch kit today. I demoed all of the platforms except for the JD because they dont have any in stock and only order when buying. I am looking forward to running the mower. Will give a full review after I run it for a while. I was torn between the scag and toro and feel like I made the right choice.

Tags
deere , scag , toro , turboforce , velocity plus