The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-26-2014, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1075432...n/photostream/

Here is a pic of the pond.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Nice. Where you able to use your excavator mulcher pretty exclusively? Looks like the area has been raked. How did you come out bid wise?

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

As hard as I try and just can't see the difference. Do you mind pointing it out?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-26-2014, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddensLawnCare View Post
As hard as I try and just can't see the difference. Do you mind pointing it out?
Posted via Mobile Device
Really?
Old 01-27-2014, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

No. Sarcasm
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-27-2014, 06:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Rockhound quoted me in the $15k range for the 26" head. That was from Rockhound though not a dealer.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:29 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksss View Post
Nice. Where you able to use your excavator mulcher pretty exclusively? Looks like the area has been raked. How did you come out bid wise?
I did not rake it. Thats the way the head leaves it after you process it on the ground.

I have about 16 hours machine time maybe less?

There is another area I did that is not in the finished pic. The pond had about a foot of watrer in it when I started and we have had some really cold days/rain and slowed me down. Right at the top of the hill close too the fence we had too hand cut as the pond was too muddy too climb the hill.
I actually had too cut the trees and let them fall over the water too get across and then I mulched my way back out. I am still learning the ropes but I would say in the summer I could have done it in a day and a half( 12 hours).

Not bashful about what I bid. I charged 3750.00 for the job. I bid High because I knew I would damage some cutting teeth. I cannot emphasize how thick it was when I started. The laborers where supplied by the contractor and my part was all machine work.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:44 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Great job.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

How did the teeth hold up? It does look like your teeth and the teeth that Rockhound uses are the same. It looks like they did a great job shredding the material. I am surprised at how small the head ground up the material. Are you happy with the gpm flow and psi setting in your machine?

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksss View Post
How did the teeth hold up? It does look like your teeth and the teeth that Rockhound uses are the same. It looks like they did a great job shredding the material. I am surprised at how small the head ground up the material. Are you happy with the gpm flow and psi setting in your machine?
The teeth maintain an edge as they wear. Somewhere between a planar knife( Denis Cimaf) and a carbide tooth. Hitting loose rocks and dirt do not really wear them that much it is the stationary stuff that gets them good. I normally do the most damage processing the material after it is on the ground. If you are doing rough cuts then you can process it standing up and leave the small limbs whole and that really allows the teeth too last longer. The teeth have 4 sides and cost about 1200.00 a set for the torrent. If you get 50 hours per side thats 200 hours. Thats about 6 dollars an hour and realistically I think I got 100 hours before I turned the tooth the first time. I will get some pics of the worn teeth tomorrow and post them.

The rockhound uses a Quadco tooth as far as I can tell( as well as Torrent), just has a different way of mounting. You can search Quadco teeth and there are a few people who have coverted there skid style mulchers too them.