Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-27-2014, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Member

How to grow- Need some help

Hi everyone, I'm looking for opinions/ideas from others on how to grow the fert/spray side of the business. I recently took over the fert/app department of the company I work for and I want to grow. I currently fert/spray about 75 residential customers and roughly 45-50 commercial sites, which keeps me pretty busy. I should add the company uses me as a utility person as well, so I train new hires, fill in on mowing crews, do pruning twice a year, and help with spring/fall clean-ups. There is a lot of available time in those areas that would allow me to pick up more fert accounts, but the big question is how everyone does it? The company isn't interested in doing mailers or hangers, and they say that there's no room for discounts. Without some sort of incentive, I don't see how to entice customers to sign up. Any ideas would be great. Thanks.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Doing premium, rather than low end work is the best advertisment.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 01-27-2014, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
Doing premium, rather than low end work is the best advertisment.
Well of course we do premium work. :-) My results are great, I'm not worried about that, it's more of marketing ideas that I'm looking for.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-27-2014, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Money spent on marketing is often better spent in ensuring premium work is done. I am talking the best equipment and materials. Don't grow bigger or faster than what can be done with that high quality in mind can be done.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 01-27-2014, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisermichaelj View Post
Well of course we do premium work. :-) My results are great, I'm not worried about that, it's more of marketing ideas that I'm looking for.
Posted via Mobile Device
I think "premium work" and "job well done" are being confused here. Whether it's premium work or middle of the road work and a "premium" job is being done on every property no matter who, then your business WILL grow. It sounds like a high visibility(large name/phone#.Not necessarily "flashy" A lot of people see through the "hype") marking flag is in order given your limited budget. They work. They're cheap advertising.

Show drivers, walkers and next door neighbors your name and phone number by leaving one out by the street. If your work is great, they will notice and they will gravitate toward you for sure. And, of course, you'll get referrals with or without a discount. We offer a discount but you get referrals either way.

Speaking from experience...It snowballs
Old 01-28-2014, 12:22 AM
LawnSite Member

When I go to a neighborhood to treat a lawn or lawns, I drop my a sales guy off at the beginning of the subdivision and he walks door to door to find more customers and we treat them the same day to secure the job. We do this all day. It works for me. Just saying
Old 01-28-2014, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishman89 View Post
When I go to a neighborhood to treat a lawn or lawns, I drop my a sales guy off at the beginning of the subdivision and he walks door to door to find more customers and we treat them the same day to secure the job. We do this all day. It works for me. Just saying
That is such an awesome idea.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:47 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
Money spent on marketing is often better spent in ensuring premium work is done. I am talking the best equipment and materials. Don't grow bigger or faster than what can be done with that high quality in mind can be done.
Disagree. Kia sells a lot of cars, arguably many ore than Maybach or Bently
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-28-2014, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Good idea Dishman.
Also if the salesman just passes door hangers for 10 minutes at every stop, that is a good idea. (Except of course, he is only riding along in the truck for 50 percent of his time. )

I found that, referrals are a sweet way to get new customers. I always offered a free application for a sold referral, all day, every day, all year. (Freebie limited to $50 value). Every bit of my paperwork, communication, advertising, business cards and bills made this offer.
Prepaid customers earned a credit against next spring.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

referrals are great but they are unpredcitable and unreliable....theres many things you need to be doing in order to grow....targeted direct mail, solid website, seo, clean trucks and doors, professional looking crew, trucks, and most importantly providing a good service...create a unique selling point that differentiates yourself from the competition then tie all the above together. It doesn't happen overnight....when starting out direct mail and providing a good service was the best for us.....now I think it is changing to more inbound marketing via the web