Register free!

Old 01-28-2014, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efficiency View Post
Disagree. Kia sells a lot of cars, arguably many ore than Maybach or Bently
Posted via Mobile Device
Yup and I'd rather own a Bently dealership, probably make more profit......just saying. But you can't open a Bently dealership in downtown Detroit either, so market analysis comes into play when figuring potential for growth of either high end high dollar or same old same type of services. There's also more than one way to skin a cat so pick your poison and do what's best for you and your company.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisermichaelj View Post
The company isn't interested in doing mailers or hangers, and they say that there's no room for discounts. Without some sort of incentive, I don't see how to entice customers to sign up. Any ideas would be great. Thanks.
Are you sure your company is really interested in growing this service? If they are not willing to invest for success, you might be driving on a dead end street.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 01-28-2014, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-landscapes View Post
Yup and I'd rather own a Bently dealership, probably make more profit......just saying. But you can't open a Bently dealership in downtown Detroit either, so market analysis comes into play when figuring potential for growth of either high end high dollar or same old same type of services. There's also more than one way to skin a cat so pick your poison and do what's best for you and your company.
good point different areas like different services. higher end was best results lower end want results
Old 01-29-2014, 01:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post
Are you sure your company is really interested in growing this service? If they are not willing to invest for success, you might be driving on a dead end street.
Good question. What specifically caused me to strike out on my own 7 years ago was a disinterest by my former employer in providing certain services and dealing with a particular level of clientele. I like what fl-landscapes has to say about this as well. Another way to put it is do you want to be Dollar General or Neiman Marcus?

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 01-29-2014, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishman89 View Post
When I go to a neighborhood to treat a lawn or lawns, I drop my a sales guy off at the beginning of the subdivision and he walks door to door to find more customers and we treat them the same day to secure the job. We do this all day. It works for me. Just saying
I have done the Door to Door flier/sales calls. Get Ready for a lot of Rejection. It is a real numbers game. I am more into the EDDM post cards. I can deal with the Tire Kickers a lot easier than knocking on doors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post
Good point, But let add HOW BIG DO YOU REALLY WANT TO BE??????

The Big True Green type Companies might look good. But True Green has been going Bankrupted for years. The question for me is where is my Business size comfort zone. I see more guys living large by being a one man band with a part time helper. The point here is to maximize your earning potential. That might mean limiting your services to only those with a high margin. However I dropped the High margin Termite License because of all the hassle associated with Termites. Instead of increasing your customer base. Cull it for more profitable accounts.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:29 PM
LawnSite Member

That's good intel on the EDDM, Ric. What sort of a return do you see on that when you use it, about 1-2%?
Old 01-29-2014, 01:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Good point on the EDDM mailers. Let the post office do the walking.
And--be sure you use the very best marketing on the mailer. It costs just as much to deliver a low-quality ratty mailer as it does to deliver a top-quality effective mailer. It costs a lot of money. Make every dollar you spend for mailers count.
Cheap fertilizer? Do you use good fertilizer? Say it!
Cheap weed control--or--the best? Then say so!
Guarantee? Say so. Best guarantee in town? Say so. "We guarantee our work--no rush jobs--ever."
Experienced licensed people that speak English? Say it.
Cheap generic or...have great photos with your equipment parked in front? Use them! (Or get excellent photos this year.)

Don't be afraid to insult other companies, " Unlike the 'hurry-up' companies we always use at least 50 percent long-lasting timed-release fertilizer." Or maybe 50 percent organic.

We respond to all call-back requests within 24 hours. "Our cell phone is always on--we often respond to customer calls for extra weed or crabgrass control within two hours. Big companies can't do this. They don't even try."
Unlike some big fat companies, telemarketers will not call you four times per year trying to sell you expensive add-on services.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jallal View Post
That's good intel on the EDDM, Ric. What sort of a return do you see on that when you use it, about 1-2%?
I have not mailed any EDDM recently. My experience a few years ago was 1/2% immediately, and an other 1/4 % from people who kept my post card. But still for a total cost of $ 225 per thousand I get 5 to 6 new customers. Customer are not cheap to get and advertising costs money. Chasing those leads cost even more Money & Time. But if you what to gain customers, advertising is a necessary expense and it doesn't always work. BTW on the list of Job Respect, Advertising salesman are just above Crooked Lawyers.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks, Ric! I always have respected what you have to say. I appreciate your willingness to share.
Old 01-31-2014, 03:37 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

have you thought of trying to market directly to mowing companies who don't have the license or the talent to do apps but have all those customers?

TRy subbing to them and have them do all the work for you.