Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-28-2014, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Create a website or not?

So i want your alls help in me decideing to do aa webste or not. I have been debating back and forth for 3 yrs now and I'd like to make a finale desicion this week since im aboout to order new shirts and buisness cards ill put the site on if i decide to get one made.

Few questions to get starded.....
What was your reason for getting one?
Has it helped?

If you have questions for me feel free to ask, this is new to me.

Thanks in advance!
2013 x2 Turf Tiger Kohlar 61" 52"
2013 x3 Sthil FS 100RX
2009 Sthil FS 110R
2009 x2 Sthil BR 600
2010 Stihl Chain Saw Farm Boss MS290 18"
2012 Stihl CHain Saw MS190
2008 Stihl HS 45 Hedge Trimmer
Stihl BG 85 Blower

2011 Kubota MX5100 w/ Loader and Brush Hog & Other Attachments

"If you are passionate and love what you do, you will never work a day in your life."
Old 01-28-2014, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

What does your advertising mix consist of now?
Do you want to grow your business, or prefer to remain constant?
What would you like your website to accomplish? (Add customers via Google search or to act as an online brochure you can direct people to?)
What is your realistic budget?
Old 01-28-2014, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How competitive is your market? Google your city lawn care and see how many businesses in your area have sites. If you're in a city of 2 million having a site might not do much because you will be on page 60 unless you dedicate tons of time on your site or pay someone a whole lot to do it for you. If you're in a city of 30k like me and only 1 company besides you has a site it can be incredibly beneficial. I get calls year round because of my site. A post card or door hanger is rarely relevant more than a month. People don't put something in their drawer for 8 months when they don't need it when they get it. With a website people are at your site at the exact time they need the service. If you can capture their attention, show them you're credible, and get them to make that call you've done something right. Also keep in mind that it's not all about just having a website. You really want a really good online presence. By that I mean that everywhere people look you're there. They look on google business and you're there. They look on yahoo and you're there. Be as easy to find as you possibly can. Bugging your best clients to give you reviews on those different sites helps you look credible as well. I tried bribing my clients with a $20 gift card for Christmas with a note to please review us on google, yahoo etc. I found that it didn't work very well, but that e-mailing my clients individually, giving them links and asking them to please review your company if they are happy with your service works well.

My story: 1 year 27 days ago I decided to start my business. I instantly built a website. I sent out post cards, did door hangers, and other things. The single most profitable and effective thing for me was the website. People called all Summer wanting various things.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
What does your advertising mix consist of now?
Do you want to grow your business, or prefer to remain constant?
What would you like your website to accomplish? (Add customers via Google search or to act as an online brochure you can direct people to?)
What is your realistic budget?
Only advertising i ddo right now is sign on the trailer (had one on the truck but got a new one). I'd say 80% of my work is referal.
Im wanting to grow it, just not to fast.
I want the site to show the work annd services I provide
Buddget isnt big right now, but could pay for a basic site for now
2013 x3 Sthil FS 100RX
2009 Sthil FS 110R
2009 x2 Sthil BR 600
Stihl BG 85 Blower

"If you are passionate and love what you do, you will never work a day in your life."
Old 01-29-2014, 09:22 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It's 2014. Unless you're some mystical Swedish mason who builds dry-stack structures that float in mid-air and every just knows about you, I can't imagine not having any web presence. Even if you have something dead simple, if it's well done it's an easy support mechanism for your sales process.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeToys View Post
Buddget isnt big right now, but could pay for a basic site for now
I honestly have no idea how to give advice, or point you in a direction, based on this answer. Do you want to build a site yourself or have one built for you? The advice given is only as good as the details received.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
I honestly have no idea how to give advice, or point you in a direction, based on this answer. Do you want to build a site yourself or have one built for you? The advice given is only as good as the details received.
Im planning to pay a loocal shop $1000-$1500
2013 x3 Sthil FS 100RX
2009 Sthil FS 110R
2009 x2 Sthil BR 600
Stihl BG 85 Blower

Old 01-29-2014, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeToys View Post
I'm planning to pay a loocal shop $1000-$1500
That should do a good job of providing you a basic site that's both optimized for organic search, as well as be able to grow with you for the future. Be sure that your site is optimized for mobile, as well. We're close to 1/3 of all traffic coming via phones/tablets.

If you need help in vetting the local shop, feel free to post samples of their work, or send a pm. I would suggest that you identify a developer that works in similar, but not the same, industries. What sites rank highly for other locally-based companies? Who built those? The reason I say to find someone local who works with sites that are not in your industry is because you want someone who doesn't have a conflict of interest. Remember, there's only one #1 Google rank for any given keyword. If you hire Bob's Web Design'topia to build your site, and he also built, and maintains, your competitor's site, A.) they have a loose interpretation of integrity B.) That's the very definition of a conflict of interest.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperCutter View Post
It's 2014. Unless you're some mystical Swedish mason who builds dry-stack structures that float in mid-air and every just knows about you, I can't imagine not having any web presence. Even if you have something dead simple, if it's well done it's an easy support mechanism for your sales process.
I agree with this! You won't regret it
Stihl MS 362 chainsaw
Shindaiwa DH-254 hedgetrimmer
Shindaiwa 242 string trimmer
JRCO leaf plow
Husqvarna 580BFS blowers
Fradan Power 18hp truckloader
accelerator large bagger
5x12 trailer with custom-made high sides and racks
Kobalt shovels, rakes, hand tools, power tools, and everything else!
Old 02-01-2014, 04:12 PM
LawnSite Member

The value of having a decent website far outweighs the cost. The initial cost may be felt by your pocketbook, depending on how far along you are in your business, but the on-going cost is negligible -it's even cheaper if you're willing and able to learn a little bit about the ins and outs of building and promoting a website.

Strictly speaking, you could get away without having a website. I've built and promoted a couple of websites for people who later let their hosting drop. Their high local search engine rankings, however, stayed in the same positions. I set them up with bare-bones Facebook and G+ pages, as well as a few review sites and citations and that seems to keep them ranked. The problem now is that Google has been playing with local listings and generic listings and a website would help them to capture some of the generic listings. For a relatively low cost of keeping up hosting fees they could have more of their bases covered than with just local listings alone.