Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-27-2014, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Member

I think that unless I find a really great deal, I'm going to go with the gravely Pro-Walk Gear Drive or the SnapperPro SW5. (unless I hear that these machines are bad or something).
Old 01-28-2014, 12:32 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

your dad is a tool.

"no son, don't have a work ethic and become a entrepreneur, stay at home and sit on your azz while i protect the shininess of my 'cool' mower"

yup
tool
Old 01-28-2014, 01:04 AM
LawnSite Member

I would buy a brand new 48 inch exmark metro they are perfect for starting out not to big not to small and they stripe good, Me and my dad purchased one brand new back in 2005 and it still runs great it has the Kawasaki engine and they are indestructible just like someone else said if you take care of it it'll last. I would try and stay away from used you might be able to find something decent at a local dealer but you don't know what the previous owner did with it then you might end up buying a new motor after a season or two depending on how much use you put on it.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Member

I just got a quote on a new/used exmark viking for $3100 I don't know how many hours are on it, or any thing else for that matter, but does this price sound reasonable? (I don't even know what the retail price for this thing is)
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-29-2014, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Member

What do you guys do with the unused gas in the fall? I have about a gallon of unused gas that is starting to collect water.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric1 View Post
Recently, my dad told me that I can't use our Toro recycler mower, because he doesn't want me to put a lot of hours on the engine. Now I will have an even harder time making enough money for a larger mower. oh well, I can use my leaf blower to blow leaves. maybe I'll buy a cheep push mower just to make a little money.
When you get your new mower, tell your dad hands off.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Member

Yeah, but I'll be mowing our lawn with the new one as well as my clients. Currently I'm using a 21 in (i think its 21) mower for an acre. It takes a long time.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Eric1 I am not bashing you but giving you a reality check to put your statement in perspective

You said 2000 hours to replace an engine is insane, I have yet to get over 1500 hours on a engine and yes that sucks when I log 750-1000 hours a year on a mower.
Now

The comment was made by you... You use a push mower for you to log 1000 hours a year that would be you walking 30 hours a week for 32-32 weeks a season behind a mower.

My point is a company your size could use a old 36" for 2-3 seasons to reach the hours your push mower may see every year due to being more productive.

In your shoes I wouldn't be afraid to buy a NEW worldlawn 3# blade ,36" floating deck , belt drive ,sulkey for $2500.00
They are nice and have a true float deck with pin height adjustment. Check them out.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-29-2014, 01:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Too bad you aren't a little closer i have a gravely prowalk 36h pistol grip hydro for 4000.00 and a new 1 wheel sulky..mower only has 20 hours on it also!
Old 01-29-2014, 04:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric1 View Post
I just got a quote on a new/used exmark viking for $3100 I don't know how many hours are on it, or any thing else for that matter, but does this price sound reasonable? (I don't even know what the retail price for this thing is)
Posted via Mobile Device
Retail I believe is $5100 but don't quote me on that. There are some threads you should check out. " Effectiveness of running all walkbehinds" and "Anything wrong with buying at belt drive?" I started the last one, asking about belt drives, but they both have a lot of good info. Viking would be an awesome mower to start with.
Posted via Mobile Device