Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-25-2014, 03:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Latest feedback on Toro Stand-on Aerator??

Looking into purchasing a stand on aerator this Spring possibly. Toro is what the local dealer has so that is what I will most likely go with. I've read through the older threads on this topic, looking to see what the latest reports are on this machine? Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 01-25-2014, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Member

What is the name of your business ?
Old 01-26-2014, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I demo'd ome last summer in the 100* heat without rain for weeks. The city let the dealer take one to a park and we messed with it until I got too hot and left them to it. The ride on Toro jobby was pulling about a 2" plug. I love my Ryan Lawnair but I don't think it would have pulled plugs on that dry field like that. It was a nice ride too and had fancy gauges and lots of bells and such. For the 8K or whatever it was I don't have the work to justify that.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckduck View Post
What is the name of your business ?

Toman Lawn Care. Where abouts in IL are you?
Old 01-28-2014, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twomancrew View Post
I demo'd ome last summer in the 100* heat without rain for weeks. The city let the dealer take one to a park and we messed with it until I got too hot and left them to it. The ride on Toro jobby was pulling about a 2" plug. I love my Ryan Lawnair but I don't think it would have pulled plugs on that dry field like that. It was a nice ride too and had fancy gauges and lots of bells and such. For the 8K or whatever it was I don't have the work to justify that.

Thanks for the feedback. It is priced in the high 8's over here as well. Still trying to find a way to justify it !!
Old 01-29-2014, 04:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You should be able to find a new Exmark (same thing) for $8500 (which is what I paid last fall). Demo unit = a little less >> maybe $7900 depending on hours, etc. I was told by dealers that sell both Toro & Exmark -- Toro dealers have to go through a "distributer" which drives up the cost. Whereas Exmark dealers do not.

We did 280 aerations last fall. Put 75 hours on the Exmark. The unit still runs like new. So I wouldn't be afraid of buying a demo (if you can find one cuz they are very hard to find).

These are the same questions I had before we bought one. But if you're trying to "dicker" and save a couple hundred bucks....figure you can make up the difference of paying a higher price in less than 1/2 day.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlawn View Post
You should be able to find a new Exmark (same thing) for $8500 (which is what I paid last fall). Demo unit = a little less >> maybe $7900 depending on hours, etc. I was told by dealers that sell both Toro & Exmark -- Toro dealers have to go through a "distributer" which drives up the cost. Whereas Exmark dealers do not.

We did 280 aerations last fall. Put 75 hours on the Exmark. The unit still runs like new. So I wouldn't be afraid of buying a demo (if you can find one cuz they are very hard to find).

These are the same questions I had before we bought one. But if you're trying to "dicker" and save a couple hundred bucks....figure you can make up the difference of paying a higher price in less than 1/2 day.
280 aerations and 75 hours on the machine. Wow! That's an average of 16min. per aeration. That machine is a producer.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:

Thanks for the feedback! Obviously its a big investment but the return is looking a lot greater. I can get properties done faster while using less physical energy at the same time. Good to hear the thing doesn't fall apart right away.

Any problems running the machine while ground was soft say after a rainfall? Just pay extra attention while turning to avoid tire ruts?
Old 01-30-2014, 03:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

A lot of money, so it was a big pill to swallow. The war department (wife) would not let me buy the Exmark unless we sold some older aerators. We ended up selling 3 aerators that my guys pretty much never liked to use. Total amount was $4500. So that left a $4000 investment. BTW we prefer Exmark over Toro for several reasons.

I would like to thank 2 members in particular for recommending the ZTR aerator. EquityGreen (T-man) & Rabbittman (Z-Man). Two very trusted friends.

Rabbittman said "the machine is a beast". He was 100% correct. I expect the unit to last ten years, and perhaps many more. Kinda like our Western snow plows, if you know what I mean.

Being careful on soft ground? Clay soil lawns = not so much. Loam soils = yep. Better be careful.

Firm clay soils - you can kinda turn, but not fully. Tender loam soils -- forget it. That's where the tine adjustment comes in to play, and you must pay attention behind you in order to minimize turf damage. At that point, it's a judgement call >> doing more damage than good.

Funny thing. When local competitors see our Exmark ZTR aerator, they "stare", cuz they want one too, and I understand. Just like when the T3000 spreader/sprayers were first seen in our market. Weird, but true.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
A lot of money, so it was a big pill to swallow. The war department (wife) would not let me buy the Exmark unless we sold some older aerators. We ended up selling 3 aerators that my guys pretty much never liked to use. Total amount was $4500. So that left a $4000 investment. BTW we prefer Exmark over Toro for several reasons.

I would like to thank 2 members in particular for recommending the ZTR aerator. EquityGreen (T-man) & Rabbittman (Z-Man). Two very trusted friends.

Rabbittman said "the machine is a beast". He was 100% correct. I expect the unit to last ten years, and perhaps many more. Kinda like our Western snow plows, if you know what I mean.

Being careful on soft ground? Clay soil lawns = not so much. Loam soils = yep. Better be careful.

Firm clay soils - you can kinda turn, but not fully. Tender loam soils -- forget it. That's where the tine adjustment comes in to play, and you must pay attention behind you in order to minimize turf damage. At that point, it's a judgement call >> doing more damage than good.

Funny thing. When local competitors see our Exmark ZTR aerator, they "stare", cuz they want one too, and I understand. Just like when the T3000 spreader/sprayers were first seen in our market. Weird, but true.
Thanks for the great feedback. I think the decision is clear.