Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-27-2014, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Mean Green Mowers

Wondering if anyone is using one of these mowers and how it is working out? Any issues or breakdowns? They look like a well built mower.

Thanks.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:59 AM
LawnSite Member

$1,300 for a 20" that doesn't mulch seems a bit high to me. They do look cool though...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-29-2014, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Member

I know it seems high, but there is no fuel costs or maintenance to do. They do make a mulching plate for it.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Don't get me wrong, I think it's really cool. I'm in FL though and I think the nearest dealer is in Illinois so any issues would be a pain to deal with over such a distance.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Member

You get so much more than just a mower that you don't have to fill up with gas everyday. You get a new angle to market to new customers. In a sea of gas powered commercial mowers, it's hard to stand out among the crowd just by your equipment choice. However, Mean Green's environmentally friendly and quietly operating units open up so many new opportunities for lawn care companies to differentiate themselves. They will ease the griping of customers/neighbors who complain you come to early to mow their lawns. Which alleviates some neighbors "bad mouthing" your company to others, who think that you have no respect for their sleep schedules. Also, Think of all the possible marketing pitches you could make to environmentally conscious clients, who want to do their fair share for the environment. Also you have to take into consideration all of the curious neighbors and people around you who will be inquiring about your unique mower... How is it so quiet? etc etc (which will really just be a great ice breaker for you to pitch your services to them). I get that these mowers are not similarly priced to a gas model, but once you take into consideration all of the positive benefits that are included in the electric mower package they seem to be on a pretty level playing field. I would LOVE to see this company take off! They are HQ'd right in my backyard and I think they have a potentially great product. I would also love to hear from anyone out there using these mowers.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by W&Wlawncare View Post
You get so much more than just a mower that you don't have to fill up with gas everyday. You get a new angle to market to new customers. In a sea of gas powered commercial mowers, it's hard to stand out among the crowd just by your equipment choice. However, Mean Green's environmentally friendly and quietly operating units open up so many new opportunities for lawn care companies to differentiate themselves. They will ease the griping of customers/neighbors who complain you come to early to mow their lawns. Which alleviates some neighbors "bad mouthing" your company to others, who think that you have no respect for their sleep schedules. Also, Think of all the possible marketing pitches you could make to environmentally conscious clients, who want to do their fair share for the environment. Also you have to take into consideration all of the curious neighbors and people around you who will be inquiring about your unique mower... How is it so quiet? etc etc (which will really just be a great ice breaker for you to pitch your services to them). I get that these mowers are not similarly priced to a gas model, but once you take into consideration all of the positive benefits that are included in the electric mower package they seem to be on a pretty level playing field. I would LOVE to see this company take off! They are HQ'd right in my backyard and I think they have a potentially great product. I would also love to hear from anyone out there using these mowers.
Hi I'm with ....... Landscaping and I'd like to tell you about our environmently friendly mowers. Customer, I don't care what in the $*** you now my lawn with as long as it gets done. Ya not a good sell in my area.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-30-2014, 01:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

With the improvements in battery technology I wouldn't be surprised to see DC powered mowers become more commonplace. But, I wonder what the price of the batteries would be....not to mention the charger, should it need replacing.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't like companies that use "funny math" to try to justify overcharging for a product. If you look at their cost table you'll see that they compute the 48 gas powered stander's operating cost at $520 for 20 hours at $6.50 an hour. In this universe 20 times $6.50 isn't $520. It's $130. That puts the per month cost of the gas stander at $336.67 verses Green Machine's cost per month of $377.52. MONEY IN YOUR POCKET at end of month should have $40.85 under the gas mower's column, not the Green Machine's column.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
I don't like companies that use "funny math" to try to justify overcharging for a product. If you look at their cost table you'll see that they compute the 48 gas powered stander's operating cost at $520 for 20 hours at $6.50 an hour. In this universe 20 times $6.50 isn't $520. It's $130. That puts the per month cost of the gas stander at $336.67 verses Green Machine's cost per month of $377.52. MONEY IN YOUR POCKET at end of month should have $40.85 under the gas mower's column, not the Green Machine's column.
$130 is the weekly cost at 20 hrs of mowing per week. Multiply that by 4 weeks and you get $520/ month
Old 01-30-2014, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

When you add in the "extras" that are required to use Green Mean mowers the costs go WAY UP. Their stated claim to ground speed is 8 to 9 MPH but with a slow BTS of 17,000 FPM (most commercial mowers are 19,000+ FPM) I can't see them hitting top speed in anything but the easiest of conditions. The longest run time is 3.5 hours under optimal conditions. I suspect a real world time is more like 2 to 2.5 hours. That means you need 4 complete battery sets to work 8 hours. A battery set consists of 4 batteries. That's 16 batteries and their batteries are expensive, their word, not mine. Then you'll need chargers to charge all of these batteries. Each battery get's it own charger. They do have a $200 charger but it takes all night so you'll need 16 of those @ $200 each. That's $3200 worth of chargers. They do have a 2 hour charger but those run $475 each and you'll need a minimum of 4 of those @$1,900 and you will have to keep switching batteries every 2 hours all night long.

I suspect you're looking at $20,000+ just to get a mower that will run 8 hours a day.

Tags
electric mower , mean green mower , mean. green