Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-26-2014, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMlawncare View Post
You can gross $1000/day solo, working 8-10hrs. You would have to avg $100/hr throughout the day. Been in business since 1996 and I have never seen it done here or any other company I have spoken to. If you think its because we don't have the equipment, its not. We have pretty much everything there is to own in this business. So what is your secrets? I really need to get this info.

The only equipment I need on that day is an srm 230, gallon of mixed, spool of string and a pickup.

Billable time comes out closer to 120 pmh

There is no secret, right accounts with the right setup.

If you want pm me and I'll go into further detail.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-26-2014, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
The only equipment I need on that day is an srm 230, gallon of mixed, spool of string and a pickup.

Billable time comes out closer to 120 pmh

There is no secret, right accounts with the right setup.

If you want pm me and I'll go into further detail.
Posted via Mobile Device
If you look at the location difference it answers the question........
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-26-2014, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
If you look at the location difference it answers the question........
Posted via Mobile Device
That's always a big factor even locally..........
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-26-2014, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You guys briefly touched on it but there really is one HUGE factor that needs to be talked about...

AGE...

Sorry, it's just true, if two guys are arguing about how much a solo can gross in a day/week and they are not giving disclaimers on age, it's apples to oranges fellas...

Hey, I will be there someday too, and I have nothing but respect for the older guys I know in the industry. I wouldn't be where I am today if it wasn't for guys from a generation or two before me.

Those that have read my posts before know that I am not a loudmouth or a bragger (well, maybe a loudmouth)
But definitely not a bragger. But believe me when I tell you I will not only work 12 hours at 110% but I will be up with the roosters then next day saying "Come one motherfu#$ers!!!! Let's go get it!!!!!!"

Am I smart enough to know that I won't be able to do that forever? Sure I am, that's why I want to expand and eventually get out of the field...

But for now, for the foreseeable future, NOBODY can tell me how much I can or cannot get done in a day...
Old 01-26-2014, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Armsden, ... I can speak to the age question. I am not as nimble as I used to be, not as flexible, and not as fast. But, I am much more efficient. I look back at how I was doing things 10 years, even five years ago, and I wonder what I was thinking. I know I have said it before, but I think many get out of the industry before they have learned how to do the work efficiently.

Somewhere there is a balance, and I am sure it is different for everybody. Just when I am sure that I have been able to do a job as well as possible, then I find one more tweak to cut off a little time, a few steps, or change in procedure. However, I think the sponge is pretty well squeezed out by now, and the only way to go is downhill.

And, yes, the 12 hour days back to back don't flow as smoothly as they used to. But, certainly six-10s still work well. I am solo, so I can work at my own pace. I have no help on any admin task. I do all record keeping, billing, receipts, banking, etc. I also do all my own maintance work. The balance to find is to keep the blades spiinning as many hours per week as possible, yet leave enough slack time for weather interruptions. I never work on Sunday, regardless of what is waiting to be done. I always pack a lunch, so minimal time for eating, and never take an intended break. Riding from job to job is enough of a break. Some days are filled with nearly all walking, other days not so much.

I have been blessed with great health. In 18 years, I have never missed a day of work because of illness or injury. But, I had a nearly perfect attendence in 1-12 eduction, and in previous employment. So, this pattern is not unusual.

Keep movin' ...
Old 01-26-2014, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well said Roger....

That is truly motivational and inspirational to hear that you haven't missed a day of work in 18 years...

Sounds like you have a great attitude too.

Great post...
Old 01-27-2014, 12:18 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Yep I found out last year I can't keep up like a 20 year old nor do I want to.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You can make money in this industry but you have to treat it like your spouse to enjoy it and make the profits in other words you will have to spend a lot of quality time at your best and love what you're doing
echo srm 266 trimmer
echo srm 2400 trimmer
redmax ebz 6500 blower
echo bp 250 blower
john deere stick edger
2 crapsman push mowers
20 inch key start lawnboy self propelled
weedeater gas hedgetrimmer

5 years in business
Old 01-30-2014, 04:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Its great to do GROSS numbers but getting a grasp of your expenditures (gas, blade sharpening, scheduled/unscheduled maintenance, insurance, etc..), is vital in determining what GROSS amount you need to achieve the NET amount you desire.

Work backwards and be sure to account for rain days or other environmental factors (drought, flood, tornado, whatever) that could delay your set mowing schedule. Weekends are not just for side jobs as you'll soon learn.

Controlled growth is positive growth! Grow at the pace that allows you the ability to deliver the best service possible. Ultimately this will be your greatest ROI and the cheapest!

Old 02-01-2014, 12:15 PM
LawnSite Member

If you had three yards this past year I would expect you to get about 30-40 lawns this year. I am currently nineteen as well. I will be starting my fifth year doing this in the spring. When I was in my second year that is about how many lawns I got in that year. Currently I maintain 55 lawns per week but have weeded out the low paying ones and found newer better ones closer to me. Now since you do not know exactly what it will cost you I will use my numbers.
If you have 35 lawns I would imagine the average cut will be closer to $31 per cut. 31X35X30 weeks of mowing $32550. These lawns could be cut during Monday thru Thursday.
With the help of another person occasionally I can mulch 10 yards awake for 15-17 weeks. I get my mulch for $25 per yard. When the mulch is over 5 yards installed I charge $80 per yard which includes edging and weeding. Shrub trimming is an extra charge. When mulch installed is under 5 it is $95 per yard installed. This will give you an additional $11,000 to $13,000 per year.
I also offer aeration in the spring and fall and most lawns are about $100 This brings in another $3000-$5000 per year.
You also have spring and fall clean ups and depending on the equipment you have I could see you making $2500-$5000 for that service.
Lastly you have other services like shrub trimming and property clean up or topsoil work. I could see you making another $1500-$3000.
Keep in mind but these are my numbers and what I charge so it would be different for you. Also I am talking about you working 6 days a week at 10 to 12 hours per day.
$50,550-$58500 is what i would expect you to make if you advertise and spend a significant amount of money this up coming year.
Good Luck

Tags
day , gross , high , profit , solo