Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-29-2014, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think we have hammered home a great deal of "anecdotal" benefits of walkbehinds--but let's face it we all run businesses and it is our goal to be profitable. How does making this switch make us more profitable? What type of company/crew setup will gain the most benefit from this switch? At what point in account mix do you decide to purchase a zero turn? What do those properties look like?

Walkbehind--52" TT X 21 EFI vs. 52" Z of X series quality--meaning not entry or mid level

Purchase price
Cost to operate--fuel, blades, belts, consumables
Operating lifetime in machine hours
Residual value

Other $$ factors to consider:
What else is on the trailer--what is the supporting cast?
What is the business model--mow,blow, go or full service detail oriented
How many on the crew
What types of grass--cool or warm season
What are your fall clean-up requirements
Commercial, residential, or both--subdivisions or country homes

We have done the analysis on all these points and found the walkbehinds are better for us--I understand that there are other benefits, but we made the choice purely on financial reasons and it works very well for us and the clients are loving it
Old 01-29-2014, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE=SDLandscapes VT;4947810]I think we have hammered home a great deal of "anecdotal" benefits of walkbehinds--but let's face it we all run businesses and it is our goal to be profitable. How does making this switch make us more profitable? What type of company/crew setup will gain the most benefit from this switch? At what point in account mix do you decide to purchase a zero turn? What do those properties look like?

Walkbehind--52" TT X 21 EFI vs. 52" Z of X series quality--meaning not entry or mid level

Purchase price
Residual value

How many on the crew

We have done the analysis on all these points and found the walkbehinds are better for us--I understand that there are other benefits, but we made the choice purely on financial reasons and it works very well for us and the clients are loving it[/QUO

What are u finding the useful life span to be on walkbehinds before they need serious repairs? Are u going by hours or years?? Also, what is the cost per hour that you have figured for a walkbehind?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-30-2014, 07:21 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

[QUOTE=Exmarkboy13;4947853]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDLandscapes VT View Post
I think we have hammered home a great deal of "anecdotal" benefits of walkbehinds--but let's face it we all run businesses and it is our goal to be profitable. How does making this switch make us more profitable? What type of company/crew setup will gain the most benefit from this switch? At what point in account mix do you decide to purchase a zero turn? What do those properties look like?

Purchase price
Residual value

How many on the crew

We have done the analysis on all these points and found the walkbehinds are better for us--I understand that there are other benefits, but we made the choice purely on financial reasons and it works very well for us and the clients are loving it[/QUO

What are u finding the useful life span to be on walkbehinds before they need serious repairs? Are u going by hours or years?? Also, what is the cost per hour that you have figured for a walkbehind?
Posted via Mobile Device
I tried to run some quick numbers but don't have exact figures. My numbers came out to around $5.50 per hour for a 48" wb that cost around 6300. Was estimating 300-350 hours per year for 6 years (figuring I would run 2 wbs). Figured fuel at .5gal per hour.

I'm not sure exactly how accurate that is. Hours may be different. I estimated insurance. Many other factors not listed.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:07 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Some say factor in knee surgery later in life, but that's bogus. I'd rather walk all day on the usually soft earth than on a concrete factory floor. I've just gotten spoiled withy stander.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-30-2014, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

[QUOTE=grassmasterswilson;4947925]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmarkboy13 View Post

I tried to run some quick numbers but don't have exact figures. My numbers came out to around $5.50 per hour for a 48" wb that cost around 6300. Was estimating 300-350 hours per year for 6 years (figuring I would run 2 wbs). Figured fuel at .5gal per hour.

I'm not sure exactly how accurate that is. Hours may be different. I estimated insurance. Many other factors not listed.
Just a guess here but $7 per hour is probably closer to what it is actually costing you/us based on your numbers. Fuel usage on 17hp kawi runs 1 gallon per hour - or at least mine does.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think we are still missing the forest for the trees--I know from historical data (gathered from another company) that you can run a walkbehind with few hiccups for 10 seasons and up to 4000 hrs. This is in a large company setting with a maintenance program, but abusive and multiple users.

What does your entire mowing setup cost---meaning the entire trailer, all mowers, handhelds, pushmowers, sprayers etc. Who cares if the walkbehind only costs $7--if you have to have it for one lawn and you have Z then it will artificially raise your costs up--to a point where I would get rid of the walkbehind and the account that calls for it. What does everything cost as a group. We use all walkbehinds and they roll at every account--nothing sits--so we don't have to charge extra for equipment that isn't fully utilized. Remember if it is on your trailer at an account whether used or unused it cannot be making money anywhere else and so that account needs to be picking up the tab of having that machine there. We have a fleet of walkbehinds and a big crew so that there isn't a lawn we can't do with our machines--they all run--banks, ditches, wide open, tight landscaped lawns etc. Everything needs to be accounted for and billed for accordingly
Old 01-30-2014, 05:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The only thing I'm still stuck on is a walkbehind (I have 2 hydros) vs. a light weight Wright stander. The stander weights 200 pounds more, but is a whole lot shorter, has bigger tires to lessen the load on the turf, is easier to teach people, and is faster/more comfortable. It uses about the same in gas, and has the same amount of stuff to go wrong. What am I missing?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-30-2014, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
The only thing I'm still stuck on is a walkbehind (I have 2 hydros) vs. a light weight Wright stander. The stander weights 200 pounds more, but is a whole lot shorter, has bigger tires to lessen the load on the turf, is easier to teach people, and is faster/more comfortable. It uses about the same in gas, and has the same amount of stuff to go wrong. What am I missing?
Posted via Mobile Device
The only things I could add to what you stated is the stander weighs 200 pounds more plus your weight. Walk behinds are the most versatile mower but a stander could be a good addition to your fleet.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
stander will leave more ruts when turning around while striping, especially when wet. Then you have to remember its 200lbs plus the rider so probably 380lbs extra. Also ours will scalp much easier than a same size turf tracer.
I disagree its easier to train someone on a wright stander than a walkbehind, all of our employees can use the turf tracers, not all are allowed to use the stander. For larger properties it will save some time, smaller ones it does not.

It does leave a nice cut and will mow through just about anything though, and it is much faster than the walkbehind on large properties, so we keep it on the one crew that mows the larger stuff.
Id like to try an exmark vantage to compare it to the stander in terms of controls.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mow Mony View Post
stander will leave more ruts when turning around while striping, especially when wet. Then you have to remember its 200lbs plus the rider so probably 380lbs extra. Also ours will scalp much easier than a same size turf tracer.
I disagree its easier to train someone on a wright stander than a walkbehind, all of our employees can use the turf tracers, not all are allowed to use the stander. For larger properties it will save some time, smaller ones it does not.

It does leave a nice cut and will mow through just about anything though, and it is much faster than the walkbehind on large properties, so we keep it on the one crew that mows the larger stuff.
Id like to try an exmark vantage to compare it to the stander in terms of controls.
How do employees handle learning to maneuver/ back up the sulkys??

14 Years old