Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-30-2014, 09:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you want to deal with squabblers, great. Sounds like a good fit. Dealing with squabblers ends up costing time and money. They want it done for less or they want extras done while youre there for free. As for me, my prices are fair and there are plenty of good customers to do business with.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by echo; 01-30-2014 at 09:43 AM.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
That's not what has happened, here. We have a huge, corporate trash service that continually gobbles up smaller companies, to gain area, and raises the rates. About 5 years ago, a couple brothers got together and bought a decent garbage truck and a small set of routes from their employer who was primarily a roll-off provider. Initially, they set their rates at $3/mo cheaper than the big company. It was like the plague spreading. All the green totes in town were being replaced by brown ones. These two guys couldn't get totes out fast enough in their pickup, so they bought a 20' trailer to get more out, per night (because they were picking up trash, all day). Today, they are still cheaper, than the corporate guys. The big company has laid off nearly all their drivers, eliminated office personnel, and laid off nearly all their mechanics. To say that one customer leaving a service provider doesn't affect them, is short-sighted. If one leaves, then another, and another, eventually word gets around, people get frustrated, and that one turns into a bunch. My alley splits 3-block long, dead end streets. There is only one green tote left, in the length of it, and it's a house where the three adults who live there all pull a government check. Your tax dollars are keeping the corporate giant in my alley. Your tax dollars sided, roofed, and put new guttering on their .
Now this is interesting. A giant company falls apart over 3 dollars/month. While I find this extremely hard to believe, I will say that it sounds exactly like what you posted about with talking to people about prices being the same since 1999. Sounds like low ballers doing business with low ballers to me.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-30-2014, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Bottom line......dump the customer or charge more to return to the property.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellB View Post
Bottom line......dump the customer or charge more to return to the property.
Bingo.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-30-2014, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

All the talk about squabblers is offered against a presumed backdrop of LS having no squabblers.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
All the talk about squabblers is offered against a presumed backdrop of LS having no squabblers.
There's squabblers everywhere...and lowballers and squabblers usually end up finding each other.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-30-2014, 01:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
Now this is interesting. A giant company falls apart over 3 dollars/month. While I find this extremely hard to believe, I will say that it sounds exactly like what you posted about with talking to people about prices being the same since 1999. Sounds like low ballers doing business with low ballers to me.
You're welcome to come to town and see for yourself. The big company owns the landfill. You're welcome to go out there and ask the employees that are left.

It's not low balling, when your rates nearly double in 3 years and someone comes in under that with a reasonable rate, that's just under your inflated rate. The rates were artificially inflated because they thought they had a monopoly with owning the pickup service and the landfill.

You absolutely will not ever see anything any other way, than your own.

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl KM55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
'14 Ariens Compact 24" Sno-Thro
'08 Troy Bilt Squall 2100
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 01-30-2014, 02:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

No thanks. I'm good where I'm at.

I see what it takes to run a successful operation without dealing with the customers you choose to cater to. As I said, squabblers and low ballers usually find each other. You can have them all.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-30-2014, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
No thanks. I'm good where I'm at.

I see what it takes to run a successful operation without dealing with the customers you choose to cater to. As I said, squabblers and low ballers usually find each other. You can have them all.
Posted via Mobile Device
im with you 100%. I've dealt with squablers in the past and you are correct, they want extras for free and nickel and dime you as well as usually pay late. i dont have time fir them either...too many good people out there.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-31-2014, 12:18 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It takes some people longer to figure that out...or in many cases they're only customers they can find/get.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by echo; 01-31-2014 at 12:25 AM.