Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #561  
Old 01-29-2014, 11:17 PM
birddseedd birddseedd is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kalamazoo MI
Posts: 1,908
How can you people feel comfortable leaving your gun in your truck? anyone can go into your truck while you are in the back yard and take it???
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
wait why do you prefer Scag? I thought you owned a Bobcat that mowed the first American Colonies
Reply With Quote
  #562  
Old 01-30-2014, 03:59 AM
panacea714's Avatar
panacea714 panacea714 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 21
When you can"t carry a GUN???

Thoughts?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=05QHpwC-g5M
__________________


________________________________________


Reply With Quote
  #563  
Old 01-30-2014, 10:33 AM
A. W. Landscapers, Inc.'s Avatar
A. W. Landscapers, Inc. A. W. Landscapers, Inc. is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 1,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by birddseedd View Post
How can you people feel comfortable leaving your gun in your truck? anyone can go into your truck while you are in the back yard and take it???
Perhaps you should focus your anger on the fictitious omnipotent criminal you invented in your mind that can somehow know which vehicles contain a firearm that has been secured inside a safe inside of that locked vehicle.

A firearm locked inside a safe that is locked inside a vehicle is not being irresponsible nor is it leaving firearms for criminals to just "take it"…criminals steal things…stealing is against the law…that is why they are called criminals.

By definition, they are criminals…our laws do not affect them…they simply do not follow laws…criminals are law breakers. The sooner you accept these facts, the easier it will be for you to comprehend that the victim of a theft is not responsible for causing the criminal acts of the criminal who committed the crimes of theft, destruction of property, and whatever other crimes where committed before, during and after the firearm was obtained illegally.

It doesn't matter how many locks and barriers are placed between the firearm and the criminal and it doesn't matter what the punishments are for breaking the laws to obtain firearms through illegal means…these things won't stop criminals from committing their criminal acts…laws and their consequences play no part in the criminal's decision making process to steal things…they don't follow laws and they have already chosen to ignore the potential consequences society has established for being found guilty of the crimes they are committing or are going to commit.

Those of us who are licensed/permitted to legally carry a concealed firearm are overwhelmingly MORE law abiding than the majority of individuals who are not licensed/permitted to carry a concealed firearm. This is true for every type of crime or violation from murder all the way on down to a simple violation for failure to come to a complete stop at a stop sign.

Victims of crimes should not be blamed for the illegal actions of the criminals who commit crimes which create victims.
__________________
Regards,
Scott
A. W. Landscapers, Inc.
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
Stihl HS56C Hedge Trimmer
Stihl MS391 25" Bar Chainsaw
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower
Earthquake 16" Rear Tine Tiller
Honda 9" Mini Tiller FG110
2014 GMC Sierra Denali HD
7' x 16' Enclosed V-Nose Trailer
6' x 12' Dump Trailer
Equipment & Work thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=415830
Reply With Quote
  #564  
Old 01-30-2014, 11:36 AM
birddseedd birddseedd is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kalamazoo MI
Posts: 1,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by A. W. Landscapers, Inc. View Post
Perhaps you should focus your anger on the fictitious omnipotent criminal you invented in your mind that can somehow know which vehicles contain a firearm that has been secured inside a safe inside of that locked vehicle.

A firearm locked inside a safe that is locked inside a vehicle is not being irresponsible nor is it leaving firearms for criminals to just "take it"…criminals steal things…stealing is against the law…that is why they are called criminals.

By definition, they are criminals…our laws do not affect them…they simply do not follow laws…criminals are law breakers. The sooner you accept these facts, the easier it will be for you to comprehend that the victim of a theft is not responsible for causing the criminal acts of the criminal who committed the crimes of theft, destruction of property, and whatever other crimes where committed before, during and after the firearm was obtained illegally.

It doesn't matter how many locks and barriers are placed between the firearm and the criminal and it doesn't matter what the punishments are for breaking the laws to obtain firearms through illegal means…these things won't stop criminals from committing their criminal acts…laws and their consequences play no part in the criminal's decision making process to steal things…they don't follow laws and they have already chosen to ignore the potential consequences society has established for being found guilty of the crimes they are committing or are going to commit.

Those of us who are licensed/permitted to legally carry a concealed firearm are overwhelmingly MORE law abiding than the majority of individuals who are not licensed/permitted to carry a concealed firearm. This is true for every type of crime or violation from murder all the way on down to a simple violation for failure to come to a complete stop at a stop sign.

Victims of crimes should not be blamed for the illegal actions of the criminals who commit crimes which create victims.
I'm not sure what anger you are referring to, nor am i sure what that whole rant was in reference to. So ill just respond to the only parts that seemed to be relevant to my question.

Obviously if your firearm is locked up and cabled to the truck, you don't have to worry, as its locked up. However, a locked up firearm isnt much of a help when you get attacked. so to me, it seems pointless to lock my gun in the truck all day. If attacked, i don't have time to go get the gun. I would get killed before i even got back to the truck. let alone unlock the gun.

Now as far as leaving it unlocked. This still seems un safe to me. I have watched criminals trying to get into vehicles. They pass over the locked vehicles, and go for whatever unlocked vehicle they happen to come across, then they simply scavenge for anything of value they can find. It's not a stretch for a criminal to stumble across your truck any more than stumbling across any other vehicle.

1. so it seems to me the only choices are to carry it on your person (the only choice that will save you if you are attacked outside your vehicle)

2. carry it openly in your truck where you can at least grab it quickly.

3. lock it in the truck, in which case you might as well say you do not carry a gun at work, since youll not have access to it.

Me personally, I conceal at work. but im not sure I will this year unless someone else is on the mower. I may put it in my lock box under the seat, but if i do, ill just consider myself unarmed until my route is done, then pull it out of the box and go about my day.

But i won't leave it open in the truck, it only takes someone randomly checking for any loose tools they can grab from a vehicle likely to have valuable tools to find the loose firearm.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
wait why do you prefer Scag? I thought you owned a Bobcat that mowed the first American Colonies
Reply With Quote
  #565  
Old 01-30-2014, 02:18 PM
A. W. Landscapers, Inc.'s Avatar
A. W. Landscapers, Inc. A. W. Landscapers, Inc. is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 1,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by birddseedd View Post
I'm not sure what anger you are referring to, nor am i sure what that whole rant was in reference to. So ill just respond to the only parts that seemed to be relevant to my question.

Obviously if your firearm is locked up and cabled to the truck, you don't have to worry, as its locked up. However, a locked up firearm isnt much of a help when you get attacked. so to me, it seems pointless to lock my gun in the truck all day. If attacked, i don't have time to go get the gun. I would get killed before i even got back to the truck. let alone unlock the gun.

Now as far as leaving it unlocked. This still seems un safe to me. I have watched criminals trying to get into vehicles. They pass over the locked vehicles, and go for whatever unlocked vehicle they happen to come across, then they simply scavenge for anything of value they can find. It's not a stretch for a criminal to stumble across your truck any more than stumbling across any other vehicle.

1. so it seems to me the only choices are to carry it on your person (the only choice that will save you if you are attacked outside your vehicle)

2. carry it openly in your truck where you can at least grab it quickly.

3. lock it in the truck, in which case you might as well say you do not carry a gun at work, since youll not have access to it.

Me personally, I conceal at work. but im not sure I will this year unless someone else is on the mower. I may put it in my lock box under the seat, but if i do, ill just consider myself unarmed until my route is done, then pull it out of the box and go about my day.

But i won't leave it open in the truck, it only takes someone randomly checking for any loose tools they can grab from a vehicle likely to have valuable tools to find the loose firearm.
I interpreted your statement "anyone can go into your truck while you are in the back yard and take it???" with all those question marks as "anger" or extreme disapproval of those who choose to temporarily secure their firearms in their vehicles. Sorry if I misinterpreted your statement.

If the firearm is not secured on your person, it is wise to secure it somewhere else.

A firearm is just one tool that could be useful if one is attacked.
__________________
Regards,
Scott
A. W. Landscapers, Inc.
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
Stihl HS56C Hedge Trimmer
Stihl MS391 25" Bar Chainsaw
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower
Earthquake 16" Rear Tine Tiller
Honda 9" Mini Tiller FG110
2014 GMC Sierra Denali HD
7' x 16' Enclosed V-Nose Trailer
6' x 12' Dump Trailer
Equipment & Work thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=415830
Reply With Quote
  #566  
Old 02-01-2014, 03:02 AM
TPendagast's Avatar
TPendagast TPendagast is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Wasilla, AK
Posts: 3,603
there is a gun safe in my truck in the center console…no one is walking away with my pistol without taking the whole dang seat with him….
However, it's not uncommon for it to be strapped on my hip all day too.

This is Alaska…. Texas pretends to be a gun slinger state… here we do it right.
Reply With Quote
  #567  
Old 02-01-2014, 03:17 AM
TPendagast's Avatar
TPendagast TPendagast is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Wasilla, AK
Posts: 3,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by birddseedd View Post

Obviously if your firearm is locked up and cabled to the truck, you don't have to worry, as its locked up. However, a locked up firearm isnt much of a help when you get attacked. so to me, it seems pointless to lock my gun in the truck all day. If attacked, i don't have time to go get the gun. I would get killed before i even got back to the truck. let alone unlock the gun.



But i won't leave it open in the truck, it only takes someone randomly checking for any loose tools they can grab from a vehicle likely to have valuable tools to find the loose firearm.
This statement can only be made by someone who has very little actual gun/combat experience.

If you were to be attacked while at work landscaping, where o you suppose it would be?
On the job site?
how is this assailant attacking you?
out of the blue, some dude jumps out of the shrubbery and starts beating you up?
Oh huh… eat this weedwhacker I'm holding.
Meet mr. chainsaw.
Oh ill just run you over with my skid steer.
The job site is so packed full of deadly objects and implements I don't think I'd bother with a firearm unless it was a pitched gun battle, in which case I would use cover and concealment to make it to my vehicle and not have to say…"dang I left my gun at home"

Or maybe this imagined deadly attack will occur at a vendor or in the parking lot?
In which case the weapon isn't in the safe, it's on my hip.

have you ever practiced retrieving a weapon from a portable safe?
that's like saying a police officers level three retention holster is useless, because it takes too much time and effort to get the weapon out.

With enough practice, one can get the weapon out of the properly located safe before one could get it out of his holster if he was seated with the seat belt fastened.

so no it doesn't take very long at all.

finally, if you aren't capable of defending yourself at least some, without a firearm, you probably should HAVE a firearm, because someone will just club you an take it away, because people like that have firearms because they think having one will keep badness away, and aren't willing to use it to begin with.

Warriors use weapons, if you are going to have a weapon, learn to use it. which includes carrying it with you whenever legally possible, and learning how not only to hold on to it and use it, but how to fight your way to it.

most assailants bent on killing you (and not just robbing you) are very very committed individuals (killing people is not something just done lightly) and I hate to break it to you, but the sight of a gun isn't going to scare them off and a single shot isn't going to stop them,,…. if they want to kill you, they can take a hit.

Since 1989, I have used a weapon twice on the job.

Once I saw an awesome buck, went to the truck, got the 30-06 an spent til nearly 9 that night recovering my animal.
The other time I shot a bear, which was self defense and then used a bobcat to help the state troopers remove it.

Ive never been attacked by ninjas from the rose bushes.
Reply With Quote
  #568  
Old 02-01-2014, 11:43 PM
birddseedd birddseedd is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kalamazoo MI
Posts: 1,908
Short version cause I've been plowing. Seems like people in the thread are expecting to be attacked at work. I could be wrong. Is why I was confused.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
wait why do you prefer Scag? I thought you owned a Bobcat that mowed the first American Colonies
Reply With Quote
  #569  
Old 02-02-2014, 02:14 AM
A. W. Landscapers, Inc.'s Avatar
A. W. Landscapers, Inc. A. W. Landscapers, Inc. is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 1,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by birddseedd View Post
Seems like people in the thread are expecting to be attacked at work.
Bad guys don't call their victims ahead of time to schedule an attack.

Bad guys tend to be kind of rude that way in not letting you know when you are going to be attacked.

Wild animals are also very inconsiderate when they show up without first calling your cellphone to schedule their encounter.

Here are just a few animals I've encountered while working on someone's property:

Bears
Coyotes
Feral Dogs
Neighbor's Dog
Bobcat (the animal not the machine)
Rattlesnake

I don't expect to be attacked but I am prepared if something or someone were to try to attack me while I was at work.

If I had one of those crystal balls that can predict the future and tell me the exact time and date that I can expect to be attacked, I'd take that day off.

Until I get one of those crystal balls, I'll just have to settle for having good situational awareness and a means to defend myself.
__________________
Regards,
Scott
A. W. Landscapers, Inc.
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
Stihl HS56C Hedge Trimmer
Stihl MS391 25" Bar Chainsaw
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower
Earthquake 16" Rear Tine Tiller
Honda 9" Mini Tiller FG110
2014 GMC Sierra Denali HD
7' x 16' Enclosed V-Nose Trailer
6' x 12' Dump Trailer
Equipment & Work thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=415830
Reply With Quote
  #570  
Old 02-02-2014, 02:20 AM
birddseedd birddseedd is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kalamazoo MI
Posts: 1,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by A. W. Landscapers, Inc. View Post
Bad guys don't call their victims ahead of time to schedule an attack.

Bad guys tend to be kind of rude that way in not letting you know when you are going to be attacked.

Wild animals are also very inconsiderate when they show up without first calling your cellphone to schedule their encounter.

Here are just a few animals I've encountered while working on someone's property:

Bears
Coyotes
Feral Dogs
Neighbor's Dog
Bobcat (the animal not the machine)
Rattlesnake

I don't expect to be attacked but I am prepared if something or someone were to try to attack me while I was at work.

If I had one of those crystal balls that can predict the future and tell me the exact time and date that I can expect to be attacked, I'd take that day off.

Until I get one of those crystal balls, I'll just have to settle for having good situational awareness and a means to defend myself.
So you ate one of the guys that keeps your firearm on your hip while mowing?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
wait why do you prefer Scag? I thought you owned a Bobcat that mowed the first American Colonies
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.com™ - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:10 PM.

Page generated in 0.08071 seconds with 10 queries