Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-19-2014, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

which one?

Which way would you go if you were in my shoes? I don't need but would like a dedicated mowing trailer for next season. I am currently running a 16' open trailer for everything but would like to keep it for landscape work only and have a mowing only trailer. What I'm looking at is an open 5'x12' with 2' sides or a 7'x12' enclosed. This is where I need to choose. I like the advantages of both but they both are limited. For the enclosed I know my gear will be locked up and out of the weather with signage on the side, all pluses. The downfall is a GOOD enclosed is going to run me $3K and is limited in what I can use it for. If I get an open its cheaper, more versatile, lighter. The downfall to this is I can't lock it up as easily or have the great signage. I'm concerned the least with the doubled cost of the enclosed or the extra fuel cost. I really would like to know from some that have been there which you would get. Pulling them is not as issue, currently running a half ton Dodge, either one will be ordered with an electric brake package. I also don't need a trailer bigger than the one's noted I have a bigger trailer if doing something besides mowing, this will be dedicated to mowing for the most part.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I went from a 5'X8' open to my 7'X12' V-nose. I have zero regrets. This is my second trailer of this configuration. You can pick on the hyperlink in my signature to see what I have.

A good trailer of this size being $3K? I don't know what you're looking at, but, I can guarantee it's not what you think it is. Most trailers of this size are on a 3" frame, probably C-channel with the crossmembers being the same. Mine is on a 6" tube frame, like a much bigger and heavier-duty trailer. My crossmembers are all tubular and everything is 16"OC. I upgraded to thicker exterior sheeting and added some other things. You're looking at $4500, or so, to get something like I have. It'll last a good long while and handle the occasional overloadings and such.

When you go look at a trailer on a lot, they're going to be inventory spec, which means the cheapest of everything. A $3K trailer of this size, is just that.

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
Husqvarna 580BTS blower
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 01-24-2014, 06:38 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Enclosed is the way to go.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
I went from a 5'X8' open to my 7'X12' V-nose. I have zero regrets. This is my second trailer of this configuration. You can pick on the hyperlink in my signature to see what I have.

A good trailer of this size being $3K? I don't know what you're looking at, but, I can guarantee it's not what you think it is. Most trailers of this size are on a 3" frame, probably C-channel with the crossmembers being the same. Mine is on a 6" tube frame, like a much bigger and heavier-duty trailer. My crossmembers are all tubular and everything is 16"OC. I upgraded to thicker exterior sheeting and added some other things. You're looking at $4500, or so, to get something like I have. It'll last a good long while and handle the occasional overloadings and such.

When you go look at a trailer on a lot, they're going to be inventory spec, which means the cheapest of everything. A $3K trailer of this size, is just that.
That was the price quote for the specs requested and picked up in GA. It included up spec exterior panels, brakes and framing. I plan on interior upgrades when I get it home.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-30-2014, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Member

I believe you're going to notice a drastic reduction in pulling power using a half ton truck to pull the larger enclosed trailer. Also will be using more fuel. I understand the need to get another trailer so each one is dedicated, I'm doing that this season also. But, I'm getting a second truck (half ton) to pull the mowing maintenance trailer, and will use the F250 to pull the landscaping trailer. I run Knoxville also, and getting on and off the interstate with a half ton and loaded trailer posed some safety issues. Here is an example of 2013 season fuel costs: In 2012 using an F150 my fuel cost was 4000.00. In 2013 I bought an F250 diesel, expanded my territory and only spent 2500.00 in truck fuel. My point is, the larger trailer will cost you more than just the price of the trailer if not matched to the proper truck.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tn2317 View Post
I believe you're going to notice a drastic reduction in pulling power using a half ton truck to pull the larger enclosed trailer. Also will be using more fuel. I understand the need to get another trailer so each one is dedicated, I'm doing that this season also. But, I'm getting a second truck (half ton) to pull the mowing maintenance trailer, and will use the F250 to pull the landscaping trailer. I run Knoxville also, and getting on and off the interstate with a half ton and loaded trailer posed some safety issues. Here is an example of 2013 season fuel costs: In 2012 using an F150 my fuel cost was 4000.00. In 2013 I bought an F250 diesel, expanded my territory and only spent 2500.00 in truck fuel. My point is, the larger trailer will cost you more than just the price of the trailer if not matched to the proper truck.
A 7x12 is a small trailer compared to what I'm dragging around now. I'm not concerned with on ramps, that's the hype used to sell new trucks. What I'm wanting to know is open or enclosed for a mowing only trailer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-31-2014, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i think it really depends if you have a shop or secure area. i have an enclosed because i do not have a garage and it keeps them out of the weather and keep my blood pressure down being near the road when stuff can easily be stolen. if i had a dedicated shop that i could park in every night, i would have an open trailer, i do not, so i have an enclosed trailer. i do like it because it is a rolling garage, but usues a lot more fuel and is harder, more cumbersome to transport. i do have an 8.5x20 though
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-31-2014, 12:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

if i could fit everything in a 7x12 though i would go with an enclosed either way, its a pretty smaller trailer
Posted via Mobile Device