Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-31-2014, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Shindaiwa LE 230 stick edger flexible shaft

Hello folks,

Just wanting to do some routine maintenance according to the owners manual. It says to lubricate the flexible shaft.

The owners manual says just to slide the gear case and shield assembly from the shaft tube. The next step is to just pull the flexible shaft from the shaft tube.

Does this shaft pull out and just go back in? The owner's manual makes it look easy. I just want to make sure that if I pull the shaft out to lube it, that it will go back in just as easy as it pulled out? Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

jfontana
Old 02-01-2014, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That's about it. It should just slide back in. Ya wanna sparingly lube the square? end that fits in the clutch. The cable should have a couple of wear spots from the bearings in the tube, basically, just wipe some grease on the wear spots as you slide the cable back in. Don't over-do it!

......AMF!
Old 02-01-2014, 11:19 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for replying, I am going to tackle that today.

Thanks again,

jfontana
Old 02-01-2014, 01:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Got it done.

Very easy indeed.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:36 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Hey Fontana you did get help from the best.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Grease fitting adapter

One more question.

On top of the gear case, there is a screw that you can remove and pump lithium grease into the gear case. However, the grease gun's nozzle I bought at home depot does not fit ( it is too large ). The grease gun is the type that holds 3 oz tubes. The threaded nozzle on the end of the gun is approximately 10mm in diameter which is too large to screw into the gear case hole to properly apply the grease. is there an adapter/reducer that I can purchase at my local lawn shop? Have not had a chance to call anyone yet, so I figure I would ask here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My Stihl extended reach hedge trimmers, and echo weed eater appear to have the same screw as well.

Thanks again,

jfontana
Old 02-02-2014, 12:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

For $8 or so Stihl has a tube that'll screw right into it. When the gear case starts to get warm at line refills we give em a small shot. Maybe 2-3x a year. Might not be the by-the-book method, but some days the trimmers go all day on one account. Someone else would have to say if there is an adapterator for that grease gun. IDK. I've had Stihl trimmers for several years and they all seem good as new in the gear case.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GREASE-GUN-A...86f72e&vxp=mtr

This is what I keep around to grease the gearheads--the grease will flow out of the port when the head is full, thereby preventing over greasing. I've seen customers that have installed zerks for easy greasing but all to often they over grease, forcing the excess grease up into the trimmer shaft/tube.

The needle is available at most NAPA outlets.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It ain't a big deal! Wipe the area clean and then just push the gun tip/nozzle against the hole and give it a slight pump. Install the screw and wipe the excess off, yer done!

......AMF!
Old 02-02-2014, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
It ain't a big deal! Wipe the area clean and then just push the gun tip/nozzle against the hole and give it a slight pump. Install the screw and wipe the excess off, yer done!
....Agreed!