Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-01-2014, 02:17 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTLarson View Post
I know this is off the main subject of Exmark TT's, but Ferris/Snapper walk behinds have simple crank handles to raise and lower the deck for different heights. Unfortunately they don't have the settings marked with a number so you have to measure the height on a setting and adjust from there if u want specific 3" cuts for example. They don't have the good iCD deck and they are a pistol grip machine vs ECS controls. They do mow and handle well. I am unsure if they have a bagger available for them. Bagging with a bigger walk behind does suck, but although inefficient, you could side discharge first, then do a second pass with the bagger like many do with leaf cleanups in the fall.
Posted via Mobile Device
the indicator on a ferris/snapper deck is a pointer attached to the deck, there is a decal with inches and increments on the frame (which doesn't move) This is how you tell what height you are at.

Either your decal is missing on both sides of the mower, or you should read the instruction manual and it would have told you where to look for height of cut.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Member

The rod that runs to the deck just has notches in it at the indicator. Each notch is a 1/2", but the even 1/2" increments are between the notches. I know which indicators you are talking about, but mine does not have that. It is a Comfort Control 52" DD.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-01-2014, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have 2012 ferris's with ICD decks and I have 2002 snapper pros… both have the same indicator on the deck… doesn't look like it's changed in a decade.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Those kilts are the stupidest thing I have ever seen....

I have Scotts/Irish heritage and the utmost respect for traditional kilts...

But Utilikilts? What a joke...
Old 02-02-2014, 12:48 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
I have 2012 ferris's with ICD decks and I have 2002 snapper pros… both have the same indicator on the deck… doesn't look like it's changed in a decade.
Mine is a 2013. I can't post pics from my phone, but I will take a pic and post it when I get to a computer. I am not an idiot. I have the manual, I have the 2013 pamphlet, and I have the machine. I'm tired of you attacking me for every post.
I assume you are talking about the walk behinds since that is what the topic is about. So on that note, Ferris does not have the iCD deck on the walk behinds.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-02-2014, 02:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

how do the ferris walkbehinds do in wet or tall grass? do they peform more like an Ultracut or Velocity Plus in these conditions?

14 Years old
Old 02-02-2014, 04:04 PM
LawnSite Member

I haven't ran mine in real wet conditions, but I know it handled damp, lush green grass better than the Exmark Vantage I had. The Scag walk behind I had was a 2004 with the Advantage series deck.
I try not to mow when it very wet due to the clumping, tire tracks across everything, and discharge splattering wet, sticky grass. In wetter conditions I prefer the riders because I can go back over areas and "fan out" places that need it with more speed than a walk behind. But I also only mow rural farms when it is wet because they are more open and don't have as many sidewalks or concrete drives to worry about tracking on or wet grass sticking to them.
I have seen other lawn companies mowing in the rain, but I only do if I get caught in a shower and can finish in a reasonable time.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-02-2014, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

ok, thank you. Now, is something like a lightweight Wright Stander or Stander X still considered "low expense/overhead" like walk behinds? the more i think about, the more it seems like a modified walk behind + sulky combo.. Still stuck on what to run.

14 Years old
Old 02-02-2014, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
the indicator on a ferris/snapper deck is a pointer attached to the deck, there is a decal with inches and increments on the frame (which doesn't move) This is how you tell what height you are at.

Either your decal is missing on both sides of the mower, or you should read the instruction manual and it would have told you where to look for height of cut.
Here are the pictures I have to show you what I have. One is of the owners manual page, one is of the indicator I think you are describing, which is on the Hydrocut, not the DD series, and the other is of my actual mower.
Attached Images

Old 02-02-2014, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmarkboy13 View Post
ok, thank you. Now, is something like a lightweight Wright Stander or Stander X still considered "low expense/overhead" like walk behinds? the more i think about, the more it seems like a modified walk behind + sulky combo.. Still stuck on what to run.
From my experience shopping around, the prices of the larger walk behinds and the standers are almost the same. I was quoted over $8000 for an Exmark Turf Tracer and ended up buying the Exmark Vantage for $8100+tax. I started on walk behinds, so for me the stander felt awkward. It was fast and responsive, but I just had trouble controlling it in tight/trimming situations because you have to control the forward and reverse motions along with your body movement, whereas the walk behind you set the forward speed and basically control everything by slowing down one or both wheels or reversing just by squeezing the controls, similar to a Walker mower.

The Wright/Deere standers have you close to the ground like a velke behind a walk behind, but the Scag, Exmark, and Toro stand ons have you elevated higher. Lots of others love the standers and their productivity, but I sold mine to another lawn company that already had 2 and loved them for the residentials they mow. Like everyone else on here says, demo them.

I had a guy drive from an hour away to run my stander and walk behind, with and without a velke, just so he could try out the different options. I was glad I could help. I have purchased lots of mowers to end up with regrets, so I was more than willing to help someone else out. To me it was not a waste of time to help out a fellow lawn mower. I have let several people that mow try out my mowers just to see if they liked them better or for a new experience.

Hope I am of some help. Whatever you get and are accustomed to will be the "best" mower for you, until you try something different. Sometimes change is good, and sometimes it is difficult.