Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-01-2014, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Weather App?

Well I suppose I officially entered the 21st century as I now have a smart phone. We had an old Alltel plan through Verizon which was great years ago, but with virtually everyone we call now on Verizon, we used none of the minutes and were paying about $90 a month for two phones. Verizon has a special right now including minimal data for a $45 access fee and since my phone was eligible for an upgrade, we went ahead and switched.

I was wanting to get a weather app so as to have radar available when I need it. Our local TV station has a free one, which will work fine for my mowing business, but I'd like to have one that will automatically show the radar based on where I am at the time, such as on an out of state turkey hunt, and was wondering what others would recommend. Thanks. Neill
Old 02-01-2014, 12:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I use several on one of my screens.. A local channel which seams really good, then there is "weather bug" which I like also "weather channel" & then you can always just look around in the phones market place for some as well.. I think the weather bug is the one I like the most though...
Old 02-01-2014, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Ditch the contract phone and go with Straight Talk from Walmart. Straight Talk uses the same network as your contract phone but for a much cheaper rate. I have been using Straight Talk for over 4 years now and it the best service and deal out there and I have tried them all! You can get a $45 unlimited everything card and you can talk, surf the net and text all day long everyday without it costing you another dime. I can look up weather and show radar with animation that can let you know where storms are going as well as hourly updates and much more.
16' Landscape trailer
2008 Toro Z500
2007 Toro 21" commercial
2007 Toro 40" commercial
2008 Craftsman 33"
2008 Bluebird S22
2009 Pluger 400
And a whole lotta other stuff
Old 02-01-2014, 01:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I use the weather channel and accuweather. TWC I like better for forecasts but like Accuweathers radar better.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-01-2014, 03:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I use weatherbug. great app. Tried the weather channel app but found it was clunky, slow, and bloated.
Old 02-01-2014, 03:15 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I also use weather bug and like it.
Old 02-01-2014, 03:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnpro724 View Post
Ditch the contract phone and go with Straight Talk from Walmart. Straight Talk uses the same network as your contract phone but for a much cheaper rate. I have been using Straight Talk for over 4 years now and it the best service and deal out there and I have tried them all! You can get a $45 unlimited everything card and you can talk, surf the net and text all day long everyday without it costing you another dime. I can look up weather and show radar with animation that can let you know where storms are going as well as hourly updates and much more.
Can't switch now as I'm tied up for another two years. I've been reluctant to try anything but Verizon because although I know they always say they use the same network, I know the coverage isn't always as good with other providers. We never have a problem with Verizon calling from our home while friends and family who visit with other providers often can't make a call at all. Also, when I'm in Alabama hunting each spring, I never have a problem getting reception while others I've talked to have to do the old "drive to the top of the hill, stand on one foot with your arm extended" routine to make a call.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

http://www.hamweather.com/
Old 02-02-2014, 08:55 AM
LawnSite Member

I have an iPhone and an iPad. I have found the app: My Radar to be very accurate and reliable.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have an Android phone and use both "Instant Radar" and "Radar Now". Both will track your location and show it on the radar screen. Both are animated with time stamps. Best of all, both are free!
http://www.klawns.com