Register free!

Old 05-12-2009, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capetrees View Post
You need a mini for $18,000 to move 5 pallets of sod? Forcing ones self to use a piece of equipment to feel it's "worth it" makes no sense.
I would use an $18,000 mini just to move 5 yards of topsoil. Screw humping that with wheel barrels, even with my own guys. Been there done that, tired of it. The only thing that is keeping me from getting a mini is that I have to buy a new enclosed trailer to haul it.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Member

5 yards of load can easily be wheelbarrowed by one guy in an hour, even if it needs to be spread and raked. Comparison, 1 hour of labor costs or $18,000 machine payments.

Grab the wheelbarrows.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Bring me one of those guys that can wheel 5 yards of topsoil in an hour. Where is the guy moving the soil? 3 feet next to the original pile?

How energetic are you going to be moving that pile when it is 95 degress outside and you have to move the soil a good distance, maybe uphill a bit.

I guess you really like WORKING when you work.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Member

$500 a month machine payment is still less than Id be paying a human for a months work. Ill be sipping my gatorade on the back of my SK650 while that guy is shoveling for the trophy t-shirt that says "10 years landscaping... two back surgeries, 4 carpal tunnel operations, torn rotator cuff, one knee replacement and skin cancer... because I could"

I can too, but why kill youself when you can be three times as productive and expend less of your body.
'04 F250 Superduty Powerstroke
'07 Kawasaki Mule 4x4
'89 Bobcat 743
Husky W4814 Walkbehind
(Scag's on the way!)
Numerous Lawnboys
Bluebird Power Rake w/bag
Bluebird Aerator
BlueBird Bedbug
Echo SRM265 Trimmer
Echo PAS265 w/pole saw, edger, brushcutter, and trimmer head.
Echo blowers
Old 05-14-2009, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Member

If you have a number of guys working for you then yes, you could cut a guy or not need to hire for the season if you have a mini but if you have a small company, you still need people to drive vehicles and trailer the equipment and help. One guy with a mini doesn't do the job any faster if he's alone.

And yes, I'm not afraid to do sweat and I DO like working, regardless of the temp.
Old 05-18-2009, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capetrees View Post
If you have a number of guys working for you then yes, you could cut a guy or not need to hire for the season if you have a mini but if you have a small company, you still need people to drive vehicles and trailer the equipment and help. One guy with a mini doesn't do the job any faster if he's alone.

And yes, I'm not afraid to do sweat and I DO like working, regardless of the temp.
One guy with a mini doesn't do a job any faster if he's alone?? How does that make ANY sense?! I can operate my small business very efficently because I treat my mini bobcat as my labourer. I do majority of my work solo, and I rarely come home exhausted. If I come to a site and need to spread 20 yards of mulch, I can go around and dump everything with an hour or two, and spread it within another 2 hours. 20 yards of mulch in 4 hours.. explain to me how thats not faster than one guy wheel barrowing 20 yards??? If you're moving ANY type of material a few times a week, it will more than pay itself off in a year. It never comes in sick, complains about the heat, slows down after lunch, etc. A mini is the best equipment investment and residential landscape company can make.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flairland View Post
One guy with a mini doesn't do a job any faster if he's alone?? How does that make ANY sense?! I can operate my small business very efficently because I treat my mini bobcat as my labourer. I do majority of my work solo, and I rarely come home exhausted. If I come to a site and need to spread 20 yards of mulch, I can go around and dump everything with an hour or two, and spread it within another 2 hours. 20 yards of mulch in 4 hours.. explain to me how thats not faster than one guy wheel barrowing 20 yards??? If you're moving ANY type of material a few times a week, it will more than pay itself off in a year. It never comes in sick, complains about the heat, slows down after lunch, etc. A mini is the best equipment investment and residential landscape company can make.
And the crowd goes silent......

Great post...
Old 05-23-2009, 01:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

haha, thanks I thought I'd get all kinds of responses to that post! What happened to you capetrees??
Old 02-04-2014, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Member

I bought a used Boxer 427T at the beginning of the season last year, I used it for a couple paver jobs and to help move boulders for some pond projects.
The PROS: it cuts down on my labor force, it works hard all day..I believe it helps me look more professional. With its small size I was able to sneak though gates where larger machines wouldn't be able to. I like to think that with the machine I alone can do a job that would require 2-3 guys to help with. With the attachments its possibilities are endless.
The CONS: Since having the machine, I've broke both bearing on the idler wheels, and now have to re-weld a leak. Getting parts is a pain and expensive. I chalk that up to my guys pushing the machine too hard.
With the track version I wish it was a little faster, I had 100+ yards of mulch to speed over a 3 acre property, it was too slow, ended up using the machine to load wheelbarrows.
I found the machine struggles to lift a full pallet of pavers, I usually have to take off the first couple rows.
Also the tracks wear fast on pavement, I had to replace the tracks which are a huge pain to work on.
Its also a good idea to plywood the grass, unless your careful the tracks with pull up the turf when you turn.

With that being said, I got the machine for a steal...it raised the moral of my guys by doing more of the heavy lifting. I'm happy with my purchase, it never calls out sick, don't have to feed it..I can usually get 2 days work out of it for about $40 bucks in gas..
Old 02-04-2014, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought a Boxer 532dx a couple years ago. By FAR my best purchase to date. I use that thing for pretty much everything. It squeezes into spots that a full size loader can't fit, and can move a hell of a lot of weight for its size. I haven't had a single regret buying mine. By the way I'm a small company, usually me, a helper, and my main helper (the Boxer).
Posted via Mobile Device