Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-04-2014, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i didn't know about the wd40.. hopefully it will be ok. never will I do that again. IF the alternator goes out, i'll chalk it up to another lesson learned the hard way.

I did go out and turn on the hose and let a little bit of water hit the tensioner pulley. the sound cleared up totally for a minute, then came back. I'm gonna change the tensioner pulley before i take it in somewheres because i know they are gonna try to tell me that is the problem. Hopefully it is the problem, and i won't have to take it in. I did turn the tensioner pulley by hand, i guess it is ever so slightly gritty sounding. nothing major though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twomancrew View Post
That's belt squeal. Take it to the carwash and rinse the front accessories with some warm soapy water it'll go right away. Don't listen to the know-it-alls. You ever driven in rain? Yes? Then water ain't gonna hurt a thing under there. Go and wash it down. Leave it running and just wash the pulleys. It might not fix it either but you aint got nothing to loose by trying.

The fact you put WD in the alt makes me wanna say change it now. Replace now or it's days are numbered. You'll see.

Servicing Dallas, Acworth, Kennesaw, & Woodstock, Ga
Old 02-04-2014, 05:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not sayiing wd is bad in general, just that it shouldn't go where bearings are. Or around electronics in general. Also is isn't really a lube- is a penetrant and so it doesn't last under heat and stress. It does a good job of moving dirt into places it shouldn't go. When something is stuck some heat and wd will really save the day.

For $2 the carwash won't hurt.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffTurfLawnCare View Post
Release the belt, and spin the pulleys by hand. Your looking for a stiff pulley or to feel a gritty feel when you spin it by hand. Usually the idler pulley or the tensioner pulley will go before the alternator bearings. I'm not a fan of replacing the entire tensioner when just the pulley is worn. The tensioners rarely fail as there is almost no moving parts in the tensioner its self. I have have been spinning wrenches professionally for years on everything from VW's, Peterbilts to Caterpillars and have only seen 2 maybe three tensioners fail, but many noisey bearings.
THIS GUY KNOWS HIS STUFF!
Serpentine tensioners are just spring loaded. Unless the spring breaks, replacing the pulley, is much cheaper. I too wouldn't bother replacing the bearing (and as stated, in a plastic pulley, that is not even possible).

My Subaru's timing belt uses a hydraulic tensioner. That has a cylinder which wears over time, and eventually leaks and fails. They're supposed to be changed when you change the belt. Yours is not like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inzane View Post
I did turn the tensioner pulley by hand, i guess it is ever so slightly gritty sounding. nothing major though.
Yep, ever so slightly gritty and loose is what you're looking for. If it is good, it should be absolutely smooth, with a little resistance. Molasses. Brand new, it will feel kind of tight, but still totally smooth.

If you can spin it really fast by hand, you may be able to spin it fast enough to make a kind of buzzing sound when it is really bad.

BTW, a little spray of WD-40 on the alternator should not be cause for alarm.
Just don't go making a habit of it.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

97 Jeep with the sixer has a solid mounted tensioner. Adjustment is made at the PS pump and not by spring. Prolly most of the 4L I6 Chryslers are that way but I couldn't tell ya for sure. It's not uncommon.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i changed the belt tensioner. still the same noise. i'm just gonna bring it somewheres next week i guess. i could see a clear difference when spinning the pulley on the new one vs. the old one like mentioned above.. i was thinking for sure that would help. any ideas whats next??

I really appreciate all you guys taking the time to give me the advice. I definetly learned some things.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Um you do like I told you to? Seriously a $2 fix bro. CARWASH-HOT WATER- SOAP! Then come and tell me how smart I am.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inzane View Post
i changed the belt tensioner. still the same noise. i'm just gonna bring it somewheres next week i guess. i could see a clear difference when spinning the pulley on the new one vs. the old one like mentioned above.. i was thinking for sure that would help. any ideas whats next??

I really appreciate all you guys taking the time to give me the advice. I definetly learned some things.
Belt dressing on the belt.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-04-2014, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
Belt dressing on the belt.
Posted via Mobile Device
His belt is already too sticky and dressing it will make this worse. Dressing is for a belt that slips. Corn starch is for a belt that squeals like in the video. I don't like starch on the belt so a good cleaning usually gets it done, or just go drive the thing and let it get a bit dusty. Gravel road nearby?
Old 02-04-2014, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

so far so good. I actually took a piece of soap and rubbed it on the inside part of the belt. (saw some guy on youtube do that to a ford focus) Noise went away, but came back a little after i drove about a mile. so i'm thinking it has to be the belt that i bought. I took the belt back down the road to the auto parts start and they warrantied out the econo-belt i bought, and i got the better belt for an extra 14 bucks. while i was in there i got a better wire brush than i used before (the one i used before was about shot) so, Just for the heck of it i took a wire brush to the other pullys just in case there might of been some stuff built up on there as JC1 was saying. I put the better belt on and no more sound so far. I drove it a mile or so, usually it comes back a little but not this time. I guess i'll know for sure in the morning, but this is the best its been yet.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Very good.