Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-04-2014, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyp View Post
I contracted out to a very knowledgable "mud" company and he was easily successful with eighteen foot mats , ten of them, stacked one on top of another, with a long reach Cat, sixty eight feet I think....material was soft, and it had a light crust as it was Summertime....he was making a dike , so the swing was plenty of reach...no mechanical move of the soil....you may have bitten off more than you can chew, unless you have a very lucrative contract......I would suggest you get a knowledgable person to help you out....tony
This advice still holds. You need to get someone that knows what they are doing. If you said you would do this for ten thousand dollars , you are going to loose thirty thousand dollars. I do wish you good fortune, but don't be hard- headed. I mean this in a good way. Tony
Old 02-04-2014, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

My first thought to tell you the truth is no way 10k is going to cover rental. Honestly I would say 30k because your needing to rent some special equipment and some special mud mats. It may not be a bad idea to have a meeting with the owners and tell them we made some mistakes and can't do the job at the price. No one could have seen it and you just can't do it. Share some actual numbers with them and be open. If your the kind of person that would never do that then I agree with that also but it's going to be a loosing job. How loosing we don't know yet.

How deep do you need to go?
When you do get out to the end your digging right in the water right? As you dig the water keeps coming in right?
Are you just stock piling this dirt to grade later or is it getting trucked out?

You need to find some long mats. If you get 30' mats a 320 size machine will walk right out on them and not have a
problem. Might even be able to use single axle dumps to move the dirt or at the worst 2 of those tracked haulers because things will get slimmy fast.

I put a 321 on some wetlands a muskrat would bottom out and get stuck in. The only way I did it was buy using 20-30' long de-limbed trees as my mat.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-04-2014, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Good advice. Being honest to the customer is always honorable, and staying in business is good for everyone. I always help out a contractor when an honest mistake has been made, but not to the extent that this has been done, as I also have to budget what I spend on something like this. This is going to be a really painful lesson if you don't believe what most of this group of posters are saying. Tony
Old 02-04-2014, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It looks firm from the pictures though, that's what's hard to believe. It must be firm for a foot or two where the sun dried it and then just soup under it. I just have to believe that mats to distribute the load won't work.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-04-2014, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

And if this isn't in your prime work area I would have no problem writing them a check for what ever they gave you and just saying can't do it. Let them sqwak and threaten but they won't waste money fighting you in court. If this is a 50-100k job and your trying to make some serious money that's one thing but if this is a 20k job I would get scooting.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-04-2014, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Member

There are several different kinds of soil around the DFW area, all but the sandy clay are pretty much too expansive to be good for anything but raising cattle. I've stuck tape measures over 6 ft down into cracks in our pasture. There's a reason that there are so many foundation repair companies around. Dig a five foot hole and you may see three or more flavors of clay. In the right (wrong) places, the ground can pump dry as a bone after months with no rain. Without looking at the jobsite its hard to tell whats happening there but its not good.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

http://rainierskylineexcavators.com
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-05-2014, 12:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
http://rainierskylineexcavators.com
Posted via Mobile Device
better be getting half a million for that job then.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.Services View Post
better be getting half a million for that job then.
Makes no difference at this point, it's a matter of completing the job that the op accepted. The skyline may not be the only solution but it is a solution.

I read the entire thread just tonight and it's obvious why the thread went south. I truly hope the op can work his way out of the jam he's in.

Best of luck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-05-2014, 01:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have lost a lot of money in the last 20 years keeping my word, looks like its your turn. I guess if you end up taking it out one mini ex bucket at a time, and moving the material 600 feet at a half yard at a time so be it. Hopefully you don't have a time limit.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.