Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-25-2013, 02:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Dolmar, Redmax, or Maryuama trimmers & stick edgers?

I'm currently in the market for my first stick edger. In past years I didn't find them necessary but as I take my business more seriously I've come to the conclusion that a stick edger will be a necessity. I was curious to see if any professionals have used a dolmar brand stick edger? My local parts guy has been shoving them down my throat since he got the dolmar dealership and so far I've stuck to my guns in terms of backpack blowers and trimmers (redmax bp 8500 & 7500), however the dolmar stick edger seems to be comparable in everything except price. The dolmar is much cheaper, and didn't want to short myself on quality. So any feedback would be helpful thanks!
Old 12-25-2013, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm a Dolmar dealer, Redmax too. I've never sold a stick as I live in the NC mountains- when the grass ends you're in the trees! So, all I can tell you is that all I ever wanted was Dolmar saws, but every time the rep brought a different thing by (blower, trimmer) I was extremely impressed by them and now I both rent and sell them. That in mind, i would expect the stick to be no different. Also, if the price offered is so much better than other brands...bonus!
Old 12-26-2013, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I got a buddy right down the road from my shop that is a big small engine parts house and he sales a little dolmar and he tells me that on the handheld stuff- he has minimal repair on it all. I do know that its all built by the Makita group. I hardly ever see them come through my shop
Old 01-02-2014, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

havn't run the stick edgers but i've run all the trimmers and will only run redmax. has most power for weight is way easier to start
Old 01-03-2014, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Member

I run Echo and Shindy but will most likley switch to Maruyama because of the 5 year commercial warranty. I look at it like this Maruyama most have a pretty good product otherwise they wouldn't offer a warranty like that. I have run the trimmers and edgers, tons of power and great balance. My .10 Good luck for 2014!!!
Old 01-03-2014, 12:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Any warranty is not some iron-clad means to get yourself a new unit. They're basically saying they will stand behind manufacturing's lack of defects.

You will need to buy a six-pack of Maruyama's 2-stroke oil to get this 'extended' warranty. I bought a Maru HH blower a few years back...it is reliable and easy to start to this day. BUT, & I've said this more than a few times...my other 2-strokes did NOT like Maru's oil at all.
.02 // YMMV
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 01-29-2014, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultracut guy View Post
I run Echo and Shindy but will most likley switch to Maruyama because of the 5 year commercial warranty. I look at it like this Maruyama most have a pretty good product otherwise they wouldn't offer a warranty like that. I have run the trimmers and edgers, tons of power and great balance. My .10 Good luck for 2014!!!
if you want maruyama call 662-869-1300 they will make you a good deal . they aren't a dealer for them anymore or echo
Old 02-02-2014, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Member

I bought a Dolmar Stick edger a month ago and the guys love it. I know it starts and runs great so far and is the lightest edger I have ever had in my hands. I just wanted to test it out and see if it was viable long term, I hope it is but my guess it will fall apart in six months. If it holds up I will make the change from echo because they cut down on operator fatigue like nothing else I used in the past.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF C View Post
if you want maruyama call 662-869-1300 they will make you a good deal . they aren't a dealer for them anymore or echo
What state are they out of?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-05-2014, 03:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

RedMax products work really well for me. I used to run all Stihl but switched to RM 2 years ago. Best decision I ever made.