Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-04-2014, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLewis View Post
Yah...well, when you're mowing 16-20 lawns a day, 40 weeks a year, yah, that's about the best life you can get out of these guys. They will actually last a good 5 years +. Just you'll spend so much in parts after 2 years that it just isn't worth it to keep going.

The Hondas last longer than anything else we've used and nothing else cuts the thick wet Oregon grass like a Honda either. So it's really the only option, for me.

The good news is they're only $1100 or so. Considering how many lawns you can cut during their lifetime, that's only about 19 cents per cut. Not a bad deal at all, IMO.
I agree. I find that the transmission starts slipping sometime after 2 to 3 years. I picked up an Exmark 30 last year. Works great when its dry.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I forgot to take in to consideration the fact that They have more cuts per year in Oregon than we do. Probably no droughts to slow down mowing either.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-04-2014, 01:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLewis View Post
Yep. That's the exact model we use. Got a good 14 of them. Love'em.
Do you use that model for mulching or do you only bag with them? I have a friend that uses the non-commercial model. He says they last a little over a year, before the transmission, recoil and wheels start to go, and his use is probably half of yours. What he really likes about them is that once the constant rains of spring are over, he can normally mulch most lawns, reducing the time and money spent going to the recycle center. Your weather may be different. That model also has a lever to allow you to switch from bagging to mulching providing versatility.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oqueoque View Post
Do you use that model for mulching or do you only bag with them? I have a friend that uses the non-commercial model. He says they last a little over a year, before the transmission, recoil and wheels start to go, and his use is probably half of yours. What he really likes about them is that once the constant rains of spring are over, he can normally mulch most lawns, reducing the time and money spent going to the recycle center. Your weather may be different. That model also has a lever to allow you to switch from bagging to mulching providing versatility.
Same question as well. Are the twin blades that more efficient? Thanks in advance!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-04-2014, 02:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I wish I could use 21" mowers exclusively! To be honest I profit more per hour with smaller mowers than larger ones...but I couldn't imagine cutting up to an acre with a 21.

I been tossing around an idea for 2014. If I decide to put that setup together I got a place now to dump the pics!
Old 02-04-2014, 02:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I used the HRR216's last year, $400 each. The mulching blades worked great. We never really cut any overgrown yards, but the very few we did, they did great.

I was part time, I had 2 mowers, and mowed about 20 yards a week, 26 weeks total. They worked just as good on the last cuts as they did on the first. Only used the bags a few times.

We'll see how they do again this year!
Old 02-04-2014, 03:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmonkey0311 View Post
Just out of curiosity, what were you charging for your tonwhouses? Any special rates if you had a few side by side?

Those honda mowers are awesome. I think after switching to them I won't be using anything else.
I charge depending on the size of the yard. The nice thing is that there is barely anyone in my area who just focuses on townhouses. Some companies won't even touch them. My average charge is $25 for mow, edge, trim, and blow. I actually make most of my money off of clean ups, mulch jobs, weeding, and leaf removal. I don't typically give special rates for side by side.Thanks for the interest!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-04-2014, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushmoweruser View Post
Im a big fan of the push mowers. Ybravo offers both a 21" and a 25", I have both in my fleet. Similar to the lawnboy style, but its a beast of a mower
How would you compare the 21" to the 25" in cut quality...? What engines are on yours...?

I have a GXV160 Honda powered yBravo 25" and I use a Oregon® G6 gator blade on mine and overall it works great for bagging plus mulch and rear discharge.

If I had to buy a 21" ever again it would be the Ybravo.

Any real advantages to the Ybravo 21 vs just running the 25's only.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-04-2014, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townhouse Yards View Post
I charge depending on the size of the yard. The nice thing is that there is barely anyone in my area who just focuses on townhouses. Some companies won't even touch them. My average charge is $25 for mow, edge, trim, and blow. I actually make most of my money off of clean ups, mulch jobs, weeding, and leaf removal. I don't typically give special rates for side by side.Thanks for the interest!
Posted via Mobile Device
I have found a breaking point where the smaller courtyard lawns that typically have to be bagged take more time due to manuvering and clipping haul off hassles to be be less profitable than larger lawns which can be mulch mowed with a bigger WB even double cut with less hassle and more profit.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-05-2014, 04:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by oqueoque View Post
They mulch well, as long as you are not cutting off more than about 1/2" of grass or so. And as long as it's not too crazy wet. Problem here is we're usually cutting quite a bit more than 1/2". Grass is so thick and full and lush here and always growing so fast that it's difficult to mulch.

We do use them for mulching-only during late July, August and September. But we keep the bags on because homeowners in this area really hate mulching. They look at it as unprofessional and messy. And normally it is, here. But we know when it will work perfectly and when it won't. I just don't want to get into the argument. So we leave the bags on.

If we were in a climate where the grass wasn't as thick and lush and growing so fast I bet we could use them to mulch quite a lot.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon