Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-06-2014, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Do you remember your first job?

Mine was on a cold misty day, wire nuts no gel, nightscaping fixtures and I would lose a few screws in the grass. Digging was hard, lot's of rocks but eventually it looked okay.
Oh well need to forget yesterday !! Lolll

Seriously that was years ago! Things have changed since then! Gotta love those L.E.D's

Steven
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-06-2014, 04:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

my first lighting job was in 1986, with a green tool box from Nightscaping as a demo kit. Held the box in one hand, the fixture in the other.
'How many of these do you want?'

Things have changed just a tad.
Tommy Herren, CLVLT #1169
Member of AOLP, CA chapter
www.thelightinggeek.com

Battling the Forces of Darkness Everywhere
Old 02-06-2014, 04:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

In 2004, a few weeks after a "one day wonder" class, distributor hands me a 10 light job. Nothing fancy, but the system is still going strong to this day. Changed it over to LED in 2011. I'm sure glad that LED's have eliminated all those 10/2 home runs.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I didn't have a clue about lighting. I wuz doing irrigation service work on the side. My employer (elon university) sent me to toro university in SC 2000ish, I skipped a few irrigation install classes for a lighting class. I came back home talked to a customer about lighting up his house, I told him I would do it for cost. I was using DBY connections. I learned real quick to pay attention on which wires went where..(the breaker in the transformer keep tripping). Oh boy the memories.

Old 02-07-2014, 07:35 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Mine was a large cottage and boathouse property owned by the brother of a friend of mine. Pretty sure he was just patronizing me because of the familiar connection. He didn't go with the 5 zone, 100+ fixture proposal I had in mind, but did let me light his driveway and path. 100% Nightscaping with Illuminators and Deliters on the path and those square extruded aluminum downlights up in the trees. It worked for years but I haven't seen it in a while as the property changed hands.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 02-08-2014, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Yep, I was just getting started into landscaping back in 96. A builder that we had done a few jobs for asked us to do a parade home (a promotional builder event). He asked us 4 days before the show to landscape this house and I was dumb enough to accept. I whipped a plan out in an afternoon and the builder was finally out of the yard with 2 days until the opening. Me, my business partner and my irrigation guy worked for almost 48 hours straight. Rolling sod out at 2 am takes some motivation. My irrigation guy took a nap in the wheelbarrow for 30 minutes. Whew, what a dumb job to take, but I digress. I knew nothing about lighting but wanted to add it to the home. I ran over to home depot and picked up some path lights, a few bullets and a cheopo transformer. Looking back I have to laugh at myself, I was such a noob, I had no clue. I used the pierce points and daisy chained everything (why were the far lights so much dimmer than the close ones.)
This should tell you how how inexperienced I was- When I laid out the lights, I had a pick tail of wire left over at the terminus of the daisy chain. I didn't know what to do at this point, so I separated and stripped both ends and proceeded to connect them together with a wire nut. I spent the next 20 minutes trying to figure out why the breaker kept tripping when I plugged the lights in- Ahhh, those were the days.

To add insult to injury for busting my hump to do that job at the last minute- the builder didn't pay me for 90 days. I had to put a lien on the property to get my money. Never again!

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com