Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-17-2013, 12:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I spoke too quickly when I said that I couldn't give you something specific, or precise in regards to tips on making it harder for thieves. It's been a while since I've worked with the Law Enforcement Community. There is actually a very simple method to reduce the theft of equipment by more than 90%. It is very simple, highly effective and very cheap to implement.

All you have to do is paint your equipment.

Let's say, for example, that you would paint your Hustler or Scag ztr a nice, bright pink. Now put yourself in the shoes of a thief. Obviously, he wouldn't be able to list it on Craiglist as is and anyone who would willingly buy a bright pink Hustler would know that he wouldn't be able to use it like that since it would attract too much attention. It would be too easy to identify.

So our thief would have to either paint the ztr to hide your lovely pink, or drastically reduce his selling price.

Now why would he do that when he can travel to other areas of the country and find a Hustler or Scag in its original color? Which will be an easy sell with less risk and work.

Of course, the paint should be oil-based. I would even paint the wheels of the ztr. It will cost less than $20 in paint and it might take you 4-8 hours. But keep in mind that the longer it takes you, the longer it would take someone who steal it to try to hide your lovely pink.

IOW, what you are doing is making your equipment not attractive to a thief. It is the same principle with making your house less attractive to burglars and sending them elsewhere.

You do not need to paint it pink. You could use 1" tape and make stripes instead. And you could use any color you wish. But the point of the exercise is making your equipment standout, be easily recognizable from more than 100' away. You want to discourage someone from being interested in stealing it.

With large equipment like ztr, I would say that it should reduce the probability of theft by more than 90%. With smaller equipment like trimmer and blower, it will still work, but I would estimate the reduction of probability of theft to something like 60%. Because of the smaller size, it is somewhat easier to try to hide the paint job you did. Nevertheless, it is a MUCH less attractive piece of equipment to steal.

If your equipment is still under warranty, you should verify with your dealer that painting it will have no impact on the warranty.

And finally, I would consider painting your equipment as one layer of protection. Additional layers of protection should take you close to 99% theft protected.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Painting equipment

Painting tires actually that isn't a bad idea - easy to do too.

I have thought about this with Power tools too.. paint stripes on the cords so it will be easily identified.

I read about a fella who had his whole rig stolen, sickening when it is your livelihood and you've worked hard to get it. I think If I had an enclosed trailer I would go down to the local High School and ask the art teacher for their best student - hire them to paint a big company logo on my rig.

It would serve for both advertisement and someone hauling it away would be easier to spot and remember, especially if it were a bit of a memorable painting.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassHoppage View Post
Painting tires actually that isn't a bad idea - easy to do too.

I have thought about this with Power tools too.. paint stripes on the cords so it will be easily identified.

I read about a fella who had his whole rig stolen, sickening when it is your livelihood and you've worked hard to get it. I think If I had an enclosed trailer I would go down to the local High School and ask the art teacher for their best student - hire them to paint a big company logo on my rig.

It would serve for both advertisement and someone hauling it away would be easier to spot and remember, especially if it were a bit of a memorable painting.
When I said painting the wheels, I meant the rims and on both sides. You can go ahead and paint the tires if you feel like it.

Anything that is 'attractive' to a thief can and might be stolen. It is a very simple equation; make your equipment unattractive to a thief. Painting is cheap in supply cost (rust-oleum?) and will only require your labor. It should last as long as you own your equipment and there is no ongoing costs.

The same principle applies to rigs and trucks. Have your truck and rigs professionally painted and it will lose a good deal of value to a thief. A well-installed kill-switch is a must on a vehicle.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Great posts, Pierre! Never even thought about some of the things you suggested! Thank you!

-----------------------------------
My Equipment:
2011 F-150 Ecoboost(Work Truck)
2012 Maserati GranTurismo MC Stradale(Daily Driver)
2015 Pace-American 7x16 Enclosed Trailer
2014 American Mfg 6x10 High Side Utility Trailer
Old 02-08-2014, 12:44 AM
LawnSite Member

I agree. He gave an excellent idea. However, the only objection I have to that, is I'm not sure if Pierre means painting "for example", the whole ztr, or something like the wheels. I think if you painted the whole ztr bright pink, sure it would be much less attractive to the thief, and probably eliminate him touching it what so ever. However, painting the wheels, it seems the thief wouldn't mind if he has his own place or garage to hide it away for a bit. Seems like he would just paint the wheels back to a normal color.

You mentioned the handhelds would be harder to do. I'm going to call up to the dealer tomorrow and find out about the warranty issue. That chrome/silver shaft, a thief wouldn't be able to match the paint on that thing I highly doubt without some serious work. I'm going to ask the dealer if I put about a foot orange stripe on that shaft if the warranty would still be okay. Our trimmers, etc. sit on our racks the same direction every time. I could put a orange stripe on the outside of that shaft and I think they would go on to the next stop.

You made some very good points and gave me some good ideas. Appreciate that Pierre.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:38 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I keep my stuff in a gated storage facility that has live on site management. Not saying it couldn't be stolen but it's insured through them for cheaper than what a policy would cost me and I have all that extra free space at the house for what 100 bucks a month.... I know this would only be ideal for a small operation 1-2 employees. I had my employee meet me at site and the put their vehicle inside once I removed my trailer.