Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-08-2014, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Want to replace Permagreen Centri engine

I am looking to replace my Permagreen Centris' engines - I have two of them that currently have the Robins-Subaru engine in them. I was able to get one of the last remaining Robins-Subarus that they had on the shelf a few years back for $380...now they want $800 for a Kawasaki with an "upgrade kit". Has anyone replaced the engines in their Centris with an engine that can just be dropped in without modifications (maybe like a Kohler or Honda, etc)? Or if anyone knows if it is a standard Kawasaki that can be purchased anywhere, just not only through PG? (I do NOT want to pay that price if I can get away with it). And if the Kawasaki is a standard stock engine, what does this upgrade kit consist of and is it really necessary to have? Any information that anyone has would be very helpful. Thanks!!
Old 02-08-2014, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The kits usually include more than just the engine. You could get the engine alone but then you will be on your own for all the other stuff.

Honestly for the first time around I would get the kit from them. Then down the road if you need another engine hopefully Kawasaki has a replacement available.

I am not familiar with the kit on the Centri's. I do know about the ones for the Ultra and that takes some parts. I think there is a new clutch involved since the original Briggs had a strange size crank. The replacement is a Honda GC or GS I think. Then they need to do some modification to make the spinner work. Originally it ran off a secondary shaft from the engine with a right angle gear box under the spinner. There might be an addition of a pump that runs off the engine as originally the Ultra used an electric pump and the engine had a charging system for a small battery...

The Centri might be easier to convert but I have only seen a couple of those...
Old 02-09-2014, 02:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Does the Centri have an electric pump that requires a higher electrical output from the engine?

Oldtimer
Old 02-09-2014, 03:00 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
Does the Centri have an electric pump that requires a higher electrical output from the engine?

Oldtimer
I believe the Centri's had a belt driven pump. The only Electric ones were Ultra's I think.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Everything on the Centris are belt driven - it uses an electric pump for the sprayer.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugs View Post
I believe the Centri's had a belt driven pump. The only Electric ones were Ultra's I think.

it uses an electric pump for the sprayer. Everything else on the Centris are belt driven.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Yah but it doesnt run on the engine charging system right? It has some type of belt driven alternator??? I forget and dont have the parts lists here at home for all of them LOL.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugs View Post
Yah but it doesnt run on the engine charging system right? It has some type of belt driven alternator??? I forget and dont have the parts lists here at home for all of them LOL.

It has a belt driven alternator to run the 12 volt pump for spraying.

Tags
centri , engine , kawasaki , permagreen