Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-07-2014, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good looking trencher! Been pleased with TORO's that we've rented.

I am with the guys on plowing. Would love to not have to deal with spoils and backfill. Wished we could get away with plowing every yard in East Texas, but don't think it will happen. Part of my plan with trenching with our mini skid. Whenever the time's right I'm going to go looking for a plow attachment.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
I knew that
Sure.
I'm surprised Rotar didn't catch it earlier.
It's a problem for the smaller Pipers, because they have to tilt forward in order to place the plow blade into operating position. Once the original engines are done for, replacements become an issue, because the gas-tank bracket is designed to fit to special double-male-end cylinder-head bolts on the old L-head engines, and modern OHV engines lack the same mounting platform.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
Sure.
I'm surprised Rotar didn't catch it earlier.
It's a problem for the smaller Pipers, because they have to tilt forward in order to place the plow blade into operating position. Once the original engines are done for, replacements become an issue, because the gas-tank bracket is designed to fit to special double-male-end cylinder-head bolts on the old L-head engines, and modern OHV engines lack the same mounting platform.
So what you're saying is the gas tank on the pipe piper is equivilent to the ice age for the other dinosaurs.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-08-2014, 11:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

another use of the old configuration, was that the high-mounted gas-tank fill cap was centered on the machine, and it served as a guide for aiming the Piper
Old 02-09-2014, 03:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETPRO View Post

I am with the guys on plowing. Would love to not have to deal with spoils and backfill. Wished we could get away with plowing every yard in East Texas, but don't think it will happen. Part of my plan with trenching with our mini skid. Whenever the time's right I'm going to go looking for a plow attachment.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-09-2014, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETPRO View Post

You have Toro equipment for rent locally? I only have a piece of crap Ditch Witch for rent locally. The are better options in Tyler, Tx. But that kills profit going that far to rent. Thank God I have my own equipment now. All things considered I'm glad I ended up with the trencher instead of a plow, like you said in East Texas the plow might not work on every job, the trencher will. I opted for the 4" chain to help reduce damage and backfill.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACP Services View Post
I opted for the 4" chain to help reduce damage and backfill.
You can build blocks to widen your chain a couple inches to work in cobble or for larger pipes. I built a set for mine and they work great to roll out bigger rock. Just need a bunch of longer grade 8 bolts, nuts and washers.
Posted via Mobile Device