Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-08-2014, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Toro SS5000 With Kawi Engine

So i was at Home Depot today, and of course i went over and looked at the mowers the first thing when i walked in the door. I noticed Toro makes a 50" cut with a kawi engine for 3k. It's the timecutter series and most of the other ones have Kholer Engines in them. What are you thoughts on this machine?

http://www.toro.com/en-us/Homeowner/...r-SS5000-74631
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG2165.jpg (56.6 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG2164.jpg (45.3 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG2163.jpg (46.5 KB, 168 views)

18 Regualar Accounts
Old 02-09-2014, 12:38 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Last years or before model, as the 2014 models should come standard with the foot assist height of cut (deck lift). Fine for a residential user with 1-2 acres. But why would you be looking at a department store when the same mower from an independent dealer is the same "promo" price?
Old 02-09-2014, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well i haven't really been looking at it. I was in the Home Depot for other stuff and the fact it had a Kawi engine it caught my eye. Hopefully by next year i can get some lawns where i need a ZTR mower, and i wasn't sure if this was well suited for a lawn service. Just wanted to get others opinions on it.

18 Regualar Accounts
Old 02-10-2014, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Member

If you are looking at the Timecutters check out the MX series they have welded decks with 42 and 50".

Toro
Dolmar
Maruyama
Old 09-06-2014, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Member

I got the Timecutter 50'' series. Bought last winter. It is a great mower, the stripes it leaves are great, highly recommend it. I did however add the foot adjustment. Kawasaki, great. All smiles
Old 09-07-2014, 08:31 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

That's about as good of an idea as using an s-10 to tow a 20' trailer full of commercial mowers. Buy the right equipment for the job.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-07-2014, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knox gsl View Post
That's about as good of an idea as using an s-10 to tow a 20' trailer full of commercial mowers. Buy the right equipment for the job.
Posted via Mobile Device
Well i know that now. I have learned a lot since February this year, mostly from this great forum. I'm not even looking at z's now, but the snapper 48" wb is looking pretty good for the price right now. I wouldn't ever buy a ztr as light duty as this, meaning axle, spindles, belts, especially with how light the deck is and also the blade tip speed.

18 Regualar Accounts
Old 09-07-2014, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Member

I wouldn't think that it is too light duty I think your under estimating these machines. That's like saying your better off buying a push mower because that lawn mower is not as reliable than a commercial mower. I have had not one problem, I mow a 5 acre lot easy. 2.5 acre home,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg terrace lawncare.jpg (108.0 KB, 67 views)
Old 09-08-2014, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terracecut View Post
I wouldn't think that it is too light duty I think your under estimating these machines. That's like saying your better off buying a push mower because that lawn mower is not as reliable than a commercial mower. I have had not one problem, I mow a 5 acre lot easy. 2.5 acre home,
Well its fine if you mow you and your neighbors lawn, or maybe even a few lawns, but when you mower 10+ lawns a day, the belts heat up, the axle does, and the blade tip speed of homeowner machines like this are only 8,000-11,000, commercial mowers are up around 18,000-20,000 and more. Now i might be a little off on those numbers but they are close. That's why residential mowers decks are light duty. I'm not saying it's a bad mower, but it's a bad idea to get one if you mow a lot. For me, i wouldn't get one unless the spindles were cast-aluminum at the least, the deck was fabricated not stamped, and if it didn't have suspension, i would go buy a seat with it built in. No doubt these machines can do a good quality of cut, but if you use them a lot they won't stand up, maybe for a year if you are extremely careful with them, meaning the decks. But as a homeowner you could get many many years out of a machine like this.

18 Regualar Accounts
Old 09-09-2014, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Member

I understand, I am just starting out in the business. Its a passion I have developed. I was saying for starting out its not that bad, What mower would you go with for 2000-$3500. Used sounds the way to go probably in that price range.

Thanks,

Tags
2014 , 50 inch , timecutter , toro