Register free!

Old 01-18-2014, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post
That is correct. While there are Federal Regulations on pesticide applications, each State has their own set of regulations for pesticides and several have regs on fertilizer applications. In many cases there is confusion as to how to interpret these regulations. The only source to trust is the Department in your State that is responsible for enforcing pesticide regulations.
Google pesticide regulations followed by your State's name and you should find a phone number to get you started.

For example, here in NJ you do not need a pesticide license to apply pesticides which are exempt from EPA registration under FIFRA 25(b) whether it is organic or not. However some organic pesticides do have an EPA # and therefor do require a pesticide license. We also have a fertilizer law which requires certification to apply fertilizer, it also limits how much organic matter can be applied. The fertilizer law is not enforced by the same agency as pesticides. Other States are set up totally different.
I don't know if the New jersey fertilizer law is being enforced by anyone, including the local town's & their police department , who are supposed to have the responsibility of enforcement. I haven't heard of anyone being fined. Have you? The license does look good on my sales literature.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:23 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I have only heard second hand accounts of some enforcement near New Brunswick. Local police, health dept, soil conservation districts have the authority, but realistically no one is bring the hammer down.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 02-10-2014, 02:07 PM
LawnSite Member

http://frostkills.com/
Old 02-10-2014, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That's interesting. I have seen videos of people using steam. There are some on youtube in conjunction with the University of Vermont.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:58 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Steam is non-selective. The Frostkill system is selective, it will not damage cool season turf.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 02-10-2014, 03:07 PM
LawnSite Member

I respect Barry's opinion and although I don't know any, I'm sure there are some companies that are 100% organic and successful. That said, you need to decide who you're trying to sell to - the majority of customers who want their yard to look good at a reasonable price and would like organic if it didn't bankrupt them or the few that want all organic, can afford it and can accept the limitations that come with it. I'm not knocking organic - I use a lot of organic products myself - but lawn care is a numbers business. We make money on what most people buy, not what some people buy. I'm in a fairly affluent area but I'd go broke if I only relied on all organic customers.