Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-10-2014, 02:30 PM
LawnSite Member

And all the other preventative maintenance listed in the manual as well..
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-10-2014, 04:13 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blythefieldacreslawncare View Post
And all the other preventative maintenance listed in the manual as well..
Posted via Mobile Device
To me the manual is a minimum. Seriously all the ones I see tell me to change the oil twice to changing the oil filter once. What's the point to save 2-3 bucks on a machine that generates 50-75% of companies income.
My Kawasaki manual says to change filter every 200 hours and oil every 100. To me that's nuts. Change air filter every 200 hours? My air filter looks trashed and is nasty after 50-75 hours.

To me I equivalent 1 hour of mower use to 100 miles on a car. I change my oil at 5-6k miles and I change my oil and filter on both at the same time.

If you really think about it most units go about 1500hrs on the smaller engines before needing head gaskets or rings etc. It's about the same as 150000 on a car. Yes newer cars can go longer before need half rebuilt but at 150k most cars needed cv axles, clutch etc, or other medium replacement jobs of some sort.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:26 PM
LawnSite Member

I do everything by the manual but i do replace the oil filter with every oil change because that's what is recommended.. but my point is, its cant be lack of proper maintenance that is causing the problems I am having as I am keeping up on all my maintenance.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Member

How can poor pm make an oil pan gasket leak?
Old 02-10-2014, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Dude View Post
How can poor pm make an oil pan gasket leak?
Blow by. Oil doesn't really put any stress on the gasket itself without being pressurized. Oil in the pan/sump is not pressurized unless the crankcase becomes pressurized from blow by from rings or ventilation issues. Also, excess heat from not keep the air cooled engine clean from debris and caked up grim causes aluminum to take temperature swings not designed
Old 02-10-2014, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Member

by blow by do you mean cylinders are losing compression? because when that happens the engine is pretty much shot anyway. so if blow by caused an oil pan gasket to leak then there would be no point in replacing it unless you were going to rebuild the engine.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:31 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
by blow by do you mean cylinders are losing compression? because when that happens the engine is pretty much shot anyway. so if blow by caused an oil pan gasket to leak then there would be no point in replacing it unless you were going to rebuild the engine.
blow by is present in all engines.this is the number one reason to change oil. Oil lubricates cools and cleans. It get contaminated cleaning the hydrocarbons that pass the rings. Even perfect engines have blow by. To much causes engines to pop seals or obstructions in the ventilation. What else would cause a leak? It doesn't rot away. Seals go bad sometimes because of wear too either the shaft or seal itself but usually dirt cause this wear.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
I have always seen every company using exmark equipment. I have heard its the best out there and whatnot.
Don't buy, based on what you see and hear everywhere. The machine is for you; not them. Only you know what you mow, what is important to you, etc. As others mentioned, dealer support is crucial, in your purchase decision.

It's hard to determine why you're having problems, with your engine. All we can do is speculate. But, it sounds like you're doing what maintenance you're supposed to be doing. You'll get it all straightened out. Keep your chin up!

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
'14 Ariens Compact 24" Sno-Thro
'08 Troy Bilt Squall 2100
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 02-10-2014, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Member

I buy all my equipment from weingartz, their main brand is exmark. So i will get the most support if i buy exmark. The turf tracer seems to be a dependable mower, for everyone else that is.. Maybe this season will be better. Thanks for your help!
Old 02-10-2014, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Man isn't this rediculous... The guy asked about different mower brands... Now y'all are trying to blame common problems with kaw and Kohler engine on the OP and you don't know how often he does maintenance on his machine... Kawasaki says 20percent blow by is fine... My dad's 37 DFI has 40 percent blow by and we can't get them to replace it becuase they said it's still fine... My dealer has done every test to there specs to get the 40 percent on each cylinder.... The 37 DFI has had these problems since it was new... Now it has 259 hours and it has had all it's oil changes... So I guess that it has blowby that it's his fault... Back to the OP original question... Any commercial mower with a good dealer will make you money isn't that we do this for MONEY... And I prefer a Vanguard engine....
Posted via Mobile Device